Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,943
Posts557,773
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
9 members (4CornersPuddle, phinfan, FishinRod, jm96, Theeck, FireIsHot, simon, catscratch, Bruno616), 1,088 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
this is where we need back issues of the magazine catagorized. Dave Willis had pretty all the info you need with ur questiosn in past article. skinny you need that issue.

Last edited by Greg Grimes; 03/08/10 12:59 PM.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Spawn order from coolest to warmer is NP, LMB, BCR-BG. As Greg says Dr. Dave reviewed all this info in May-Jun 2009. The index and Table of Contents for all the magazines are available in Common Q&A Archives:
http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=196790#Post196790
Hopefuly the Indexes and Contents information will be more visible & better organized in the up coming new Forum format.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
so i had it completely backwards? Awesome!

Yeah, new subscriber, i don't have the may-jun from '09.

Thanks for the heads up, guys....

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
wow.......that issue has an article on mapping too.....judging by my ramshackle map on the previous page....i need this issue!

So how do i order a backissue, i'm guessing right on the subscribe page.....

- -
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
man, i just looked back at my series of questions....i really hit every category with this one...what plants to choose, selective harvest, what happens with the pike, what do i use to make structure, where can i place plants and structure, when do the fish spawn and what do i stock for forage.....
lol....buckshot approach. Already turned up one good hit, thanks greg & bill.

Greg: BTW..the wife loved the loon piece in last month's issue. She's studying biogeography, and she appreciated your want to help the bird in a pond too small for itself. although she did cringe at netting it....i dunno, something about bone density in the wings at risk...crazy scientists, who can understand 'em?
that was you, right?
man....it's been a long month.
wait... week.

dang.

Last edited by skinnybass; 03/08/10 02:40 PM.

- -
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Back issues of PBoss Magazine can be ordered using the form in back of the magazine or by calling the PBoss office 1-800-687-6075. Hopefully fairly soon all back issues and individual articles will be available for purchase and electronic down-load from a location on this Forum. Stay tuned and watchful.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/08/10 08:09 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
no idea that was evenin there, figures my mag is late this month or mia? I was careful with it let her know. I had to handle plenty of geese in wildlife class so it was not harmed I can assure you. Pretty cool experience. thanks

If you have trouble ordering I think there is a place to order back issues in the magazine as well.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
she knows it all turned out well, it wasn't a doubt in your ability, just a cringe at the possible things that could have gone wrong. When i showed her this post she even said, if anyone was going to do it, she's glad it was someone with enough care and want to learn about the animal and think it though beforehand. No doubt that you did it well.....just fear at the possibility of injury.

In any case, we both really enjoyed reading it. Nicely done, Mr Grimes, nicely done. ;\)

She also just read the piece about restoring rangelands...lol....she is currently reading a text with a lot of the same information. Good stuff there too. The PB magazine is just plain awesome.

Anyone know the type of poly tubing to buy for one of those "soft" forage covers?

Thanks, and keep up the good work
-skinny

- -
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
skinny:

Look into the 1/4" and 1/2" poly tubing that's used for drip irrigation.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
Ok, sweet. What about a good emergent grass to plant? in shallow water, from 6" to 3 feet, that will a) survive chicago winters b) be easy to manage and not take over a shoreline c) survive the annual herbicide (Dad says it's called sonar) and d) help to hide a big ugly concrete culvert, and maybe, just maybe, filter out some of the road grime and other nastiness that comes through it.

Another friendly PB'er PMed me the name "horsetail rush"....from the looks of it that would be a good choice. Any thoughts? lol...he also taught me what ag zone i am working in, 5a&b (thanks, dude...you rock).

-skinny

Last edited by skinnybass; 03/09/10 10:46 AM.

- -
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: skinnybass
Ok, sweet. What about a good emergent grass to plant? in shallow water, from 6" to 3 feet, that will a) survive chicago winters b) be easy to manage and not take over a shoreline c) survive the annual herbicide (Dad says it's called sonar) and d) help to hide a big ugly concrete culvert, and maybe, just maybe, filter out some of the road grime and other nastiness that comes through it.

Another friendly PB'er PMed me the name "horsetail rush"....from the looks of it that would be a good choice. Any thoughts? lol...he also taught me what ag zone i am working in, 5a&b (thanks, dude...you rock).

-skinny

I thought horsetail rush can become rather invasive? If not, great, I got a ton of it on this one section of the creek on our property I could just subplant.

S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
yeah, i've seen that too...but a little manual control for whatever plant we choose is ok, just so long as it isn't weeks of control just to keep it from taking over the shore or other parts of the pond.

However, on another site, i just read that attempting to pull unwanted stalks out breaks the tuber, which causes it to spread....

Of course this is coming from a poster who said that calling it invasive was an "inderstatement." source reliability = FAIL.

Dad's initial response was to head across his yard into the wetlands conservation land and just pull a handful of something that is spreading beyond the state/county land and plant it there. lol.....Now i know that the wetlands conservation area and this pond are connected, so they share water, algae, frogs, birds, mice and more...but if the plant is spreading out of the wetland...do you really want to give it a jump start into your pond? I know, i don't even know what he was looking at. Maybe that is a good idea, just gave me a chuckle.

Last edited by skinnybass; 03/09/10 03:51 PM.

- -
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
Alright....question for the day....
where do i get a good seine for relatively cheap? Googling it got me some pretty shaky results.

Anything i should look for in style or quality?

Thanks
skinny

Last edited by skinnybass; 03/10/10 12:21 PM.

- -
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
this place has been recommended frequently. They sure have the styles to choose from. http://www.memphisnet.net/category/nets

Last edited by burgermeister; 03/10/10 06:17 PM.

S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
ok, great. Thanks....now....i see it is order by the foot. To get a good, accurate sample, how big of a seine would you all suggest? Just 2 people to operate would be best (me & pops...)

- -
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I'd go with at least 30'x4' but 50'x4' would work better and can still be run by two people. It takes a little practice to get the pace and method down, but once you do, you can sure catch a pile of fish with a net that size!

Bass Pro Shops also sells seines in that size range and if I recall correctly, they are a PB supporter.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
CJ I recommend a 6 foot model, a 4 foot will not work well in water over 3 feet. Remember the "bag" pulls down the height of the net. Also, I know it gets pricey, a mudline is good investment so the net does not roll as bad and keep fish from going under it. A good net is not cheap, it is a longterm investment.

skinny a 50' model would be my choice for you.

Last edited by Greg Grimes; 03/10/10 05:44 PM.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I agree with you Greg. Nothing like watching your floats go under and all the fish go over your net... However, it's a lot harder to find a 6' net as compared to a 4'. 4' nets substantially cheaper because I think they are more mass produced. I do agree that a 6' net works much better though.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Yep CJ with you. If you plant to use a couple fo times the n BPS net might work. If you plan to use on routine basis for next several years my advice is save up for a good one from memphis net and twine or delta net or others in the business.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Lusk once said that it is not unusual for bass to lay flat and let the seine pass over them. Doesn't seem fair.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Lusk once said that it is not unusual for bass to lay flat and let the seine pass over them. Doesn't seem fair.
They also refused to hit my spinner yesterday evening, first 60+ day here in stl, got all the way up to 72, but the dang bass wouldn't bite. Also not fair.

- -
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
update - dad just sent me an email, ice 3/4 off, someone put a roach on a line from their pier and pulled in another 30+" pike....2 eyes....not onezey the mythical lake beast.

So we have a small population of big pike and a growing population of lil toothy buggers, 15-20".

The HOA and the homeowners in general are getting nervous...all of this showing up in one year? The general fear is that the bass are a losing arrangement, and won't be around too much longer, they also are afraid for the kids swimming (a main focus of this lake).

What should I tell them? what should be done? I can handle the fear of danger to swimmers myself...obviously it takes a Carcharodon carcharias sized pike to be interested in people....but what about the danger to the fishery? I personally am not afraid, i think it is likely a good thing, more competition for the forage and a predator that can handle a 12" bass will start weeding out the skinny bass, right?

- -
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Skinnybass: I think your biggest problems can be solved with good food. Fear of the unknown will get you every time and knowledge is the answer. Put out a notice that you will be holding a fishing contest for the local kids, winners and winners get free hotdogs and a cold drink. Cost is minimal and those fradycats at the home owners association can see first hand that baby lock ness does not in fact eat small children. While the kids are putting hook to worm you can address the parents with a general discussion forum. I'd recommend you ask one of you local wildlife officers/biologist to show up to help you get the facts straight with the "thicker headed types". If this contest is a hit you should be the driving force behind making it an annual occurance. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps...

I subscribe!
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
Yeah, there is a 3rd of july fishing derby in the works. I think, at least i hope that this part of the conversation will be fairly easy to present...of course your kids won't get eaten. Look @ the movie jaws, get around all the Freudian stuff and see that it is unlikely that a great white will attack a person...unless he is an underage drinker or a boy named Alex Kintner.

The bigger problem is how do i tell them that the bass aren't all going to become pike-lunchmeat...

and further, I would like to make a BIG discouragement of bringing fish in from other, nearby BOW's in the chain of lakes. It just makes sense to me that They shouldn't be allowing this, but I would like a good message to deliver to discourage it all together..the possibilities for disaster are many (disease for one...). The main suspect no longer lives on the lake, but he is the one who put onezey in, as well as the walleye, and i think he put a bunch of crappie in as a final goodbye before he moved away. I think that's just deplorable, personally...but whatever. Maybe making a fine to boost the lake committee's pond management fund for anyone who gets caught would be a good idea.

Last edited by skinnybass; 03/15/10 02:50 PM. Reason: we're going to need a bigger boat.....

- -
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
In addition to the question above, placement of the artificial cover is a question i still haven't answered for my dad. What do you guys think? Straight out from "dad's pier" where there's a 10 ft drop is already a plan for a trio or more of the honey-hole style of cover with the soft tubing, but I know a variety of options is best, at different depths. I don't know much about fish behavior, and where the forage would prefer there to be some cover...what do you think? over on the "flat" on the north side where it just ranges from 3-6'? That was an instinct of mine, but i don;'t know if the homeowners there would appreciate it, as clear as the water is, the cover will be very visible. Maybe some rocks and boulder there would be a good idea?

Any suggestions are welcome.

- -
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
No feed HSB or CC small pond?
by jm96 - 04/18/24 09:01 AM
Buying LMB
by ArkieJig - 04/18/24 07:48 AM
Braggin Time
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 07:12 AM
How many LMB to remove?