Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS
18,531 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,015
Posts558,535
Members18,532
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
3 members (highflyer, Theo Gallus, Fishingadventure), 869 guests, and 234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
I have never bought a tractor (riding lawn mower) before and am not very educated on them. I found two used Craftsman mowers in the area, each about $1100. I will negotiate the price down. One is a YS4500 Lawn Tractor, 21 hp, 46" deck with a double bagger (new in 2009) and the other is older (don't know model yet, but is gray with a boxy front), but comes with a snow plow and craftsman trailer.

I have around an acre to mow at the pond, plus using it for hauling rocks and such.

Any advice? What should I be asking?

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CoachB
I have never bought a tractor (riding lawn mower) before and am not very educated on them. I found two used Craftsman mowers in the area, each about $1100. I will negotiate the price down. One is a YS4500 Lawn Tractor, 21 hp, 46" deck with a double bagger (new in 2009) and the other is older (don't know model yet, but is gray with a boxy front), but comes with a snow plow and craftsman trailer.

I have around an acre to mow at the pond, plus using it for hauling rocks and such.

Any advice? What should I be asking?

My dad who lives on my property in the summer when not in Florida is pretty much my groundskeeper. He swears by John Deer. I've seen a lot of lesser mowers end up in the junk pile. Of course they aren't cheap but dear ol' dad bought it and he drives a Mercedes SUV.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Air cooled or water cooled? Hydrostatic trans or regular? Take a look at the air filter on them, and how the overall look of the machine is, in the not easily washed places. Take a look at the mower deck (underneath) are the blades all beat up or in good condition? Is the deck in good shape or has it been beat up and run into things?

Sit on them, are you comfortable, or are your knees up around the steering wheel?

Dad has a 2 year old Craftsman, where you have to manually shift between forward, neutral and reverse, and another lever governs how fast the machine travels. I have a JD 345 with a hydrostatic trans, and the harder I push on the pedal the faster the ground speed is. I prefer the JD over his system. My seat is further away from the pedals as well, and is more comfortable to drive.

Make sure that you can mow in reverse as well, his has a setting where it will shut off the blades if you go in reverse - that's a PITA. You can override that setting, which is how it's run.

You'll probably need wheel weights and chains to plow snow.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What service have the machines had? Oil changed regularly? Do any of the machines have an hour meter? Look for any grease fittings on the steering or front axle. If there are some, have they been greased?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I apologize. I misread your post Coach. As is par for the course Esshup has outstanding advice.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
did you make a purchase yet?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Stay away from Ariens. Been here/Done that.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
To get myself through college I did 2 things, drywall & landscaping in the summer, selling john deere's in the winter.

The first thing you should look for is the brand of engine, and then find out if it has a fully pressurized lubrication system. A lot of the small-mid sized lawn machinery use briggs&stratton, which when under 26HP only uses a splasher system that kinda haphazardly throws oil up into the engine. While not a bad system (certainly helps keep the price down) they tend to malfunction for owners who have steep hills to mow on, or who change directions a lot. The oil moves to one side of the pan and the splasher doesn't get enough to throw up into the engine.

A pressurized system (look for kawasaki brand engines for the best ones, or kholer, at least when i was in this business they were best...like 4-5 years ago) are just like a standard lube system with an oil pump etc.

Also, if you are going to put a trailer on and haul rocks..be careful with a small-to-mid lawn tractor, @ 21hp you might want to take it really really slow..I don't know how often you plan on doing that...but if it with frequency (like, more than once a month for a while...) you may want to look into a few more HP, at least that's how i would upsell people from the standard 19.5briggs in the value john-deers. ;\)

best of luck.
-skinny

A 46" deck with 21HP sounds about right..i bet with a 21 you could upgrade to a 48 without any issues.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: esshup
I have a JD 345 with a hydrostatic trans,

That's a nice piece right there. If you can pony up the bucks, i would recommend a similar model to this...it'll cure what ails ya. they've been around long enough that there are likely to be used ones around.
and the harder I push on the pedal the faster the ground speed is. I prefer the JD over his system. My seat is further away from the pedals as well, and is more comfortable to drive.

another great thing about the 345....with some compact models the manufacturers take compact to the extreme. Some homeowners like that, because they have limited storage space in a shed or garage, but Deere throws that principle out the window on a lot of models to make for more comfortable driving/operating.

Make sure that you can mow in reverse as well, his has a setting where it will shut off the blades if you go in reverse - that's a PITA. You can override that setting, which is how it's run.
This is standard on most lawn tractors nowadays...but a reputable deere dealer probably has a good mechanic that can disable it for you.

You'll probably need wheel weights and chains to plow snow.
Try just the chains first then go for the weights, imo. The chains will do most of everything on their own, but the weights are really nice when you need extra traction. They also make an AWESOME upsell. Which may be why i warn against them, because i know how easy it is to get someone to buy them.

- -
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Coach -- just one more tidbit for you. When my old manual shift mower went down, I replaced it with a John Deere hydrostatic, and it cut my mowing time in half. Truly.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
Coach -- just one more tidbit for you. When my old manual shift mower went down, I replaced it with a John Deere hydrostatic, and it cut my mowing time in half. Truly.

If you have to mow around/next to a lot of obstacles (most of our mowing is alongside a mile or so of fencerows) hydrostatic is fantastic for being able to slow down and speed up as needed.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
 Originally Posted By: Dave Willis

If you have to mow around/next to a lot of obstacles (most of our mowing is alongside a mile or so of fencerows) hydrostatic is fantastic for being able to slow down and speed up as needed.

I abhor my Dad's Craftsman as compared to my JD. It's almost to the point that I'd be willing to trailer my JD with it's 54" deck to his place to cut the grass rather than use his Craftsman with the 46" or 48" deck. It's not so much the deck, it's the hydrostatic trans and the seating position.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks for all the great input. I looked at both of the used ones I was considering, and they were not as advertised. I am rethinking and waiting for some more to come up on the classified. I see that this is like a small marriage, so I want to take my time and get the right one.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OK, now that all the dyed-in-the-wool country boys have weighed in, my 2 city-boy cents.
We're talking about a lawn tractor here. Not even a garden tractor...a riding grass cutting machine.
One of my many acronym names is WGS: world's greatest shopper. It's what I do and likely explains my many years of success as a steel purchasing agent earlier on in life. Most folks just call me a cheapskate. Either way, I'm good at it.
When it comes to a riding grass cutting machine, Sears Craftsman will do just fine. OK, if you have a couple extra grand that you just gotta spend to get JD green, then we drink at different ends of the saloon. If it was a tractor with a 3-point hitch, I would move closer to the other end of the bar. For a lawn tractor, I would be scrutinizing the various Craftsman offerings.
Totally agree with the hydrostatic tranny. Our C-M garden tractor has a 21 HP Kohler twin with pressurized oil and filter. The hydrostatic unit is built by Hydrogear in Sullivan, IL. All decent stuff. We bought it in 1996 when we bought 5 acres of beanfield in the far-'burb's to build our current home. That thing has roto-tilled 2 acres repeatedly to prepare for grass seeding, pushed dirt(in mini-Otto piles) for landscaping, and blown sub-zero snow drifts into oblivion. Not to mention the gazillion times that Dski has cut the grass with it. Longevity? It's all in the maintenance.
Also agreed that the engine is everything. Fortunately, C-M uses and offers some good engine options. They aren't ALL the best, but a savvy buyer will select the right unit. I am "thumbs up" on Kohler. There are a couple of B&S engine lines that get great reviews; Tom G could expound. I think their Vanguard is build by Subaru; good stuff. (correct me if I'm wrong).
Now, the last cent from WGS....and one of my most valuable secrets. Go to Sears Outlet.com This is their clearing house and there are some SUPER DEALS to be had here. You can select the stores that you want to peruse, then the product, then the details of what they are clearing out. More importantly, this is ALL the Sears stores...not just the outlet store. Yeah, many of these deals are right in the Sears at the mall. Take a look. We're talking alot of cool household stuff, here. Heck, Dski and I have already purchased our wall oven, cooktop, and downdraft ventilator fan for our new kitchen at the LNP project. All you do is watch and wait. The discounts move around. One week they're only 20%, the next week 40%, the following week back to 20%, then...when they are really tired of looking at it, it's 60 or 70% off. BAM! You call the store to verify it's there and ask the salesperson real nicely to be your eyes and tell you what they think of it. In some cases, and we know this for fact cuz we dun it, the item will be listed as refurbished but it is brand new stock that is discontinued. You gotta be a little vigilent and let nice folks help you out.
-
I would spend a week or 2 watching lawn tractors in your area.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: CoachB
Thanks for all the great input. I looked at both of the used ones I was considering, and they were not as advertised. I am rethinking and waiting for some more to come up on the classified. I see that this is like a small marriage, so I want to take my time and get the right one.

I would recommend a Cub Cadet for a lawn tractor. I have an LT1050, would never consider a Craftsman. My second choice would be Kubota, third would be MF, fourth in a tie would be JD and NH.

S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
i'll second that cub's are good stuff, but i completely disagree that JD's should be outside of the top 3. Call me biased.....

- -
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
B'ski, Kohler makes a nice v-twin engine. Pressure lube and all the good stuff. Cub Cadet carries the best warranty in the market. I have a 4 wheel wagon I pull (from tsc) and have no problem pulling 1700 lbs through our soils or terrain. Nice thing is that this is a wagon, not a trailer. No tong weight.

S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: JKB
Kohler makes a nice v-twin engine. Pressure lube and all the good stuff.

That's an awesome engine. Deere used to use it in the GX series, don't know why they aren't using it anymore, but it and the 26hp kawasaki were my favorites.
Cub Cadet carries the best warranty in the market.
never heard of that..but if so, kudos to you for bringing it up, as a deere advocate, i will admit that warranty is a HUGE deal - most of the deere lawn tractors a few years back only had like a 40hour full warranty + a 3 year limited.
I have a 4 wheel wagon I pull (from tsc) and have no problem pulling 1700 lbs through our soils or terrain. Nice thing is that this is a wagon, not a trailer. No tong weight.

another good point to look for a wagon instead of a trailer. Good stuff JKB, solid advice.

- -
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: skinnybass
i'll second that cub's are good stuff, but i completely disagree that JD's should be outside of the top 3. Call me biased.....

That is only for small equipment, but I probably would put JD in the top three for some larger equipment. I would drop CC and NH out. Prefer Kubota, and it would be a close call for JD and MF . Then if you go larger, I would probably pick Challenger.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: skinnybass
Kohler makes a nice v-twin engine. Pressure lube and all the good stuff.

That's an awesome engine. Deere used to use it in the GX series, don't know why they aren't using it anymore, but it and the 26hp kawasaki were my favorites.
Cub Cadet carries the best warranty in the market.
never heard of that..but if so, kudos to you for bringing it up, as a deere advocate, i will admit that warranty is a HUGE deal - most of the deere lawn tractors a few years back only had like a 40hour full warranty + a 3 year limited.
I have a 4 wheel wagon I pull (from tsc) and have no problem pulling 1700 lbs through our soils or terrain. Nice thing is that this is a wagon, not a trailer. No tong weight.

another good point to look for a wagon instead of a trailer. Good stuff JKB, solid advice.

My CC has a three year warranty on the engine and FIVE YEAR on the rest.

It is a real pain to learn how to back up a steerable wagon, but with practice...

S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S

My CC has a three year warranty on the engine and FIVE YEAR on the rest.

It is a real pain to learn how to back up a steerable wagon, but with practice...

that is an awesome warranty...and yeah, practice makes perfect with the wagons & trailers.
When i actually get a bigger piece of property that requires a tractor as opposed to my like 4 blades of grass that i have room for in my yard...i might look into a cub. Thanks for the input, JKB, much appreciated.

- -
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Once again, I thought CoachB was looking for a machine to cut the grass that was comfortable to ride upon.
For $1200, including a hydro tranny, I think I would be OK cutting grass on something as simple as this.

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
We bought a brand new Swisher zero turn with a 60 inch deck last year to maintain our pond property. It was $3,400. The first one we got was junk. Was missing several bolts, the hour meter shorted out and one of the control cables was improperly mounted. Took it back and got a replacement. It's top notch. Love it. The first one must have been built on a Friday. hehe...

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I thought He was looking for something He could mow an acre, haul rocks with, and possibly plow snow, at about a grand or so used. I just chimed in with my experience and preferences.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
my $.02 are long gone
out
\:\)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays