Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (Layne, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 630 guests, and 179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
What's the pros and cons of each?

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I would get texas hunter. They are just as good or better than sweeny but for less money. They are built great and work great. I have two of them that I have been using for 2 years and have never had to do anyhting but add more feed to them. never had a jam or any problems at all.

Last edited by jsand13; 03/10/10 02:28 PM.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I cant speak to Sweeny, but have heard they are a fine product. I have a texas hunter and any problems I have been able to fix without tools or in a matter of minutes. I have had it almost a year and its runs like a clock. Solid product. I would on the other hand not hesitate to try aquapro with the new timer.

Get out and fish.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I just bought a Texas Hunter fish feeder but it's only been going for a week now. I do have a Texas Hunter deer feeder that I've had for 5 years now. All I do to it is put feed in it. Never had a problem.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Bullhead - My experience is with TH and AP. I've never had a problem with my AP, but many apparently have experienced issues. My TH was nearly 2x the price, but I've nothing but good things to say. Cutting costs on a fundamental tool like a feeder goes against my nature and might not be wise now that we have all the reviews in. I got my AP's for 50% wholesale as the pond management guy is a friend of mine and was sick of the problems. So far, not a problem for me - but still I'd go with a trusted brand like TH.

SW feeders - I know Bruce has several and so does Bob Lusk. I haven't interviewed them regarding their opinions but they are old looking - which is a good sign - and are still in service. I don't think you can go wrong with either feeder personally.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I have AP (plastic barrel) and just received TH425 and Sweeney Big mouth.

The differences between TH & S are:

1. The TH is easier to put together overall. There are holes to mount solar charger on TH while holes have to be drilled for same on S. The S charger wires are exposed unless mounted directly over plug-in…..that may not be south facing. There are
Built-in nut-serts’ on TH and less tools are needed.
2. There are built in holders for battery and timer with TH not so with S……..not major issue though!
3. S has more event feedings than TH but there’s plenty on TH.
4. The adjustable legs are different although wash. I prefer TH bolt system though it takes longer time wise. S has set bolts found it difficult to adjust without an extra hand.
5. TH is supposed to throw feed 5 ft longer we will see. The spread might be wider too!
6. There is a handle that comes with S I have No idea what it is for, Lag bolts too I assume is for mounting legs to something. S has No manual online or in package but did have timer and solar instructions.
7. It appears the TH holds a lot more feed than the advertising difference of 15 LBS between them……we will see.!
8. There are what might be called hidden costs with the S. Figure total cost not just base price. Painted is more! The solar charger required is larger because of power demands thus cost more. Compare the freight charges too. I did like the pallet the S was shipped on leaving it on in the field. As others have said TH costs less for base price. Both are currently on sale for little while longer!
9. If you want a directional feeder be careful as S sales scatter feeders for fish feeding also! The reason I purchased S is in hopes of feeding bass as it’s only feeder on market that will handle large diameter Purina food for bass.

The AquaPro 150DX the last two years has been a disaster with timer problems. I’m really been PO’d! If replacement timer lasts then other wise its will begin to be worth the money. There are some operational things you have to get the hang of. The solar charger is little under sized, more cleaning and setting flow Shute are critical.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
mark, great review. I will add TH cost less for comparble size. TH has a thumb screw panel, it is easy to access the bottom of the feeder, if ever you did have a problem. The inventory is better with Texas Hunter. They usually ship the next day. I sell both and both are good feeders but given the choice I would go with the TH. Yes 100% agree however for purina largemouth pelleets the bigmouth is the best option available.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't have any experience with Sweeney, and limited experience with TH. I have an AquaPro. I serviced a friends TH last year after it was submerged in water for 2 days, all the way past the timer and battery. It was pretty easy to take completely apart and clean, and after a day of drying out and a new battery it worked just fine. It's still working now with no problems. My buddy probably has 1/2 dzn TH, and has had 0 problems with them.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
What road I should take seems clear.

Lunker
Lunker
BH

Sounds like you have some plans brewing just North of me...can you let us in on your goals or whatever projects you are facing? Looking forward to getting up your way this Spring if you're game!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I'm trying to make this big old pond more user friendly. More consistent bites for the kids and a few larger fish for the adults. I added some RE, LMB,(just to get some new genes), HSB and blue and channel cats because they had been fished out, last year. I'd like to add some CSBG this year (hint, hint).
I began feeding last year with a couple of Moultrie bucket feeders. One drowned last fall so I need to replace it and want to go with something better.
I need to add some docks this spring. A larger BOW like this can really work on the shores and I have about a three foot ledge all the way around it. I also need to put in some sort of boat ramp to make it easier to get my 14' aluminum and caulk vessel in and out.

Lunker
Lunker
I will be trapping BG this spring and likely all year long we just need to get a time that works on both our schedules! I'd recommend growing these out in cages or they may simply serve as forage - these can be attached right to your new dock! Also, if you have a dock you can keep your boat tied up and may not need a ramp?

Who are you going to use as your dock guy? Floating? Shawn Banks is working on a very cool design - will last a lifetime, is lightweight and one can assemble them without paying for the labor. I am going to look into this ASAP...are you interested?

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
TJ, As i am dockless, Count me in as interested in the Dock system. I need one or 2 to mount my feeder(s) (hopefully TH) on.

PondBoss magazine subscriber
Don't text while driving!
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I was going to build my dock from boards bought at the local lumberyard. Get some of that nice treated lumber and then watch it twist and bend when it gets outdoors. However, since I turned 50 last fall I have resolved not to try and do everything the hard way. So, yes I would like more info on what you have in mind.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I second Tj rec. on Shawn's docks, they are super cool design. I like stationary docks but in the drought now the floods starting to wonder about that choice.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Is their a website or somewhere else I could learn about these wunderdocks?

Lunker
Lunker
I have a call into Shawn as we speak...will relate info or have him post here.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
not sure he has his pics ready yet. He will comment here. He is busy like all of us pond folk this time of year.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Bullhead I have had in the past an aquapro, Texas hunter and four sweenys. I like the Texas hunter but it will not throw the aquamax 600 pellet which is what I feed most. It will also not throw the largemouth pellet. My goals are to have large bass and hybrid striped bass and so I buy mostly aquamax 600 and largemouth size feed. I guess your answer would depend on what you are trying to feed? I had one of my sweenys last for ten years before the bottom finally rusted out.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
James, my Texas Hunter would not throw AQMX 600 pellets either until I adjusted the spin plate.
The rep told me they had no problems but corrected his staement when I reported others had same problem.

Easy to correct but I was disappointed with their customer service because I had to find out about the problem from a vendor.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
George I wasn't able to figure out how to fix the problem so I just returned it and got a sweeny. I am not saying anything bad about the Texas hunter just that it wouldn't do what I wanted it to do. If I could have fixed the problem I would not have returned it.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I would have returned my TH feeder as well or thrown it in the pond.
It is a very good reliable feeder and would recommend it, but my old Stren/AquaPros just keep on tickin' since they corrected the timer problem.

TH poor customer service that I assume has been corrected.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I just got my new TH feeder up and running. It is the smaller capacity of the 2 otherwise similar units. A couple of thoughts after giving it the engineer's going over. It is a very well made, brute of a machine. A couple of problems jumped out at me. I know the bottom is filled with drain holes, but come on, put a thin gasket on the access panel and swing out door that holds the timer and battery. Water will surely run down and drip on timer and battery. I will put on a gasket. I dont want to have to for $649 plus shipping, but I know what a little leak can do.
I really thought that the dispensing of the pellets was done by air chamber and blower fins never touching the pellets. I dont know why; it just seemed logical with such a large blower. Would really make it 1st class. As it is, it really spanks the heck out of the feed. I just got 42% pellets that were just made 3 days ago. I noticed fines coming out with the feed. I have never seen many fines in this feed. I determined that it is due to the beating they take from the blower. This could be fine(good) if you are interested in feeding tiny BG, but I just want them to get eaten up and not grow; I already have plenty of big ones. Just some thoughts I wanted to throw in. As I say, nice, well built machine, but I would have some changes made.

No book, but easy to figure out operation.

Last edited by burgermeister; 03/28/10 07:25 PM.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Is the consensus Sweeney will throw the larger pellets and the TH will not? I'm in the market to replace two AP feeders. Both have been nothing but trouble.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Anyone with quotes on Sweeney or TH feeders, feel free to contact me privately. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??