Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
5 members (Fishingadventure, Bigtrh24, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024, catscratch), 1,179 guests, and 391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Workman Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
Hello to all.
About nine years ago I had a 1.25 acre pond made on the twenty
acres where I live (best thing I ever did). Last year I hired
an excavator to enlarge it to make it 2 acres in size. When I
had it originally dug I was told by the excavator and the DNR rep
that the pond wouldn't raise my property taxes. Over the following years my propery taxes have went up and up steadily.
I never really minded the increases until I noticed how low the property values in the area have went down. Now I am thinking of going to the review board to try to lower my assessment. I live in central Michigan and was wondering if anyone could comment on whether or not an excavated empoundment type spring fed pond should figure in on my assessment. I was wondering how some of the other states handled similar situations. Also, I might add, I was told by the Department of Natural Resources, the excavator and the local state agra inspector that no permits were needed when I originally had the pond made. Thank you for any anticipated responses.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Talk to your neighbors and see if their taxes have gone up also. If they have then you can see if a bunch of you can go in and challenge based on property values going down. There are people who do that as a business.

BTW welcome to PB -- I missed that it was your first post.

Last edited by ewest; 03/10/10 05:37 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Welcome to Pond Boss!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Workman, I know down here in Fl. there has been local areas that have done just what ewest recomended and had good results. My taxes dropped due to a meeting held to reassess the rates. I didnt go to it (was at work) but many locals did. If enough pitchforks are pointed at government officials amazing things can happen...

I subscribe!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I am only a bit over an hour from you.

Welcome to the living and ever growing tax machine that is Michigan.

Last year our property taxes went up quite a chunk. Supposedly to pay for a new High School. Now they are never going to build it and our property taxes are on the rise, again.

A couple years ago, many townships rezoned industrial property to commercial. Industrial property was exempt from school millage, while commercial was not. One Ind. property I had, they almost doubled the taxable value shortly after taking possession. The township was bankrupt and the State was auditing their books for the seven years prior. I should have looked closer. A whole bunch of other stuff was really crooked in that township. But the State and County were guiding them.

If some other BS get's through in MI. Riparian Rights will be stripped. Your pond will then be considered controlled waters of the State, which means that the State OWNS IT. Plus, if you own a well, the water you pump is owned by the State and subject to Use and TAX!

THEY REALLY WANT EVERYONE TO LEAVE, DON'T THEY!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Not the same thing but I just got an assessment of ~ $1500.00 for sales tax return from my state revenue department. They're telling me I forgot to fill in the exemption line on my return, which I find really hard to believe. I only have a retail license for my fish sales, as my taxidermy is considered a service in Indiana and therefore I don't need to charge sales tax for that.

My sales tax came to a whopping eight dollars and odd change and now I'm being assessed for my entire taxidermy income. \:o Trouble is I can't find my copy to save my life (I could have swore I saved it on my computer but it's not here.) I've requested a copy twice with two individuals with a promise it's in the mail, with still no copy. I only have 40 days to file my protest and I can't help thinking they are stalling on me.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Ouch!!! I hope it comes in. It is hard enough when you have paperwork. [my personal opinion is they have been developing a language only they know. It is called "The C & F , I only work here, so I can't be blamed Program", so take a number, and I probably can't help you]

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Workman, ewest's advice is the best. I might suggest talking with local realtors. They deal with "real" property values, what the market dictates. And, I'm betting they are confronted with property tax questions all the time and may give you another perspective how to deal with it.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I have a lawyer fight my taxes every year. i pay him 30% of whatever he saves me each year on the taxes. I have had to fight my taxes every year on every piece of property I own. I have found it to just be one of the headaches of being a land owner. If you ask around I am sure you can find the same service in your area

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
I've got an appeal in on my property taxes, too.

My situation is a bit different since I own a bunch of undevelopable land in the middle of a subdivision and they want to assess it as though they are home-sites even though they won't let me build anything of any kind (not even a barn) on any of my land. We're telling them that they can't have it both ways - if they won't allow any building on it, they can't tax it as a subdivision lot. If they want to assess my properties as buildable lots then, they have to allow us to build on them (which they are not going to do).

If you're too scared to throw that bait where the fish are, why did you tie it on?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM