Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Layne, Angler8689, anthropic), 616 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: ewest
 Originally Posted By: cheyenne19
If I understand you correctly, that my results aren't longterm enough so show much and shouldn't be used as a guide line, then I totally agree. What we are doing seems to be working, but there is no evidence to show that it will continue. Jeff spoke with me once before about doing an article for PB about it, he then considered doing his conference speech about it. I'm happy to help in any way that I can.

I should clarify. I think your results are great and are important info for many purposes. I hope they stay long term and continue to be a source of promise. They are a guideline. They may not be applicable to most small ponds however for obvious reasons. I think SEP's much simpler approach (fewer species and plan) may be a better guideline for smaller ponds. I will talk to Bob and see if I can start the process on a joint article with you and Jeff. You should start by writing down a history of the lake. Include a descriptive narrative of the history (family property) and basic facts (size , shape , depth , species , management etc). Also start picking out a few pics that will tell the story (not just big fish pics). That can be the starting point. I will be glad to facilitate the effort.

No need to clarify. That's exactly how I feel. The results are great. We just don't really know how all the different species are intearcting to bring about these results. I feel like the large catfish could be playing a role in controlling both crappie and lare gizzard shad, but I have no real way of proving it. I hope there is valuable information to be learned from our pond, but I would never suggest doing things exactly as we have. In a perfect world I would have started from scratch. Jeff should have good notes from each electro survey that we've conducted as well as photos from them. I'll get in touch with him see what he thinks.
Cason

D
DocFish Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
ok guys aerator in , fountain in, fish in! it begins pics soon as weathear breaks but it does exemplify beauty for one thing...... Now to the harvest,:) the second and most important thing. Lets raise some crappie and prove this is a scientific endeavor and like al science experiments all the variables etc. I feel have been covered . Th e x factor is the limiting substrate as in all labs. ....But hell I have always been an X man fan.:)

doc

Last edited by DocFish; 03/17/10 03:59 PM.

DocFish
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Looking forward to your report!

D
DocFish Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Alright , here is an interesting update...

Question. I don't think you guys know but I am a quarter cherokee ,kinda ike an Avatar:)

Well anyway today was kinda interesting. I have a pole out in the crappie pond 24/7 . Got some Stubby Steve's as bait so I just leave it there. Water temps about 47 and rising as spring is finally seemingly here.

I drove my four wheeler around my property today as it was a sunny day here in GA . (happened to check the crappie pond which is beautiful thanx to Greg and his crew).

Did a double take cause my bobber was gone....not to mention yesterday I lost a pole, vanished into the depths(freaky I thought). This time I jumped off my ATV and started reeling my spinning rod in . I had 12 pound mono on it that I use for striper fishing.

D.... I thought as I reeled ,thinking i was snaggged but I know this didnt make scientific sense as I had sounded the pond and walked most of it myself with a wet suit! and placed all the possibe structure in it. So my brain and spirit as we say had a conflict:) Well long story short would you believe SOMETHING was pulling against me! Some-thing alive......

The struggle of a fight yielded a 20 lb .....American Snapping Turtle( LOL).

The question/ predatoor prey ratio . Greg and I had already discussed a Blue Heron issue I had yesterday and now this. I have pics but later.

The scientific question is this guys... my Jamaican mother-in-law and \:\) part of me says yummy lets see what snapping turtle taste like.
But my analytical side says should I release it back into the 3/4 acre newly stocked pond or transport it beyond my property or even into the larger pond. This is delicate science in a 3/4 acre establishment. The ecosysystem is delicately crucial the turtle at least 20 years old!

Question is what would you guys do ....keeping in mind a 20 lb snapper can eat up some fish whether it be crappie ,hybrid,or minnow?

Let me know ur thoughts .

Doc

DocFish
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It will certainly eat some but I doubt that it will get enough to make an overall difference.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Ask Catmandoo for a recipe and eat that bad boy! I agree with Dave though, I doubt it is eating many live and healthy fish...

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Let it swim Doc! Snapping turtles are fun. We have them in the adjoining creek next to the 3/4 acre pond I'm building so I know we'll have them in there. Everything I've read say they don't eat enough to do any harm. Be fun to catch one on rod and reel.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Even if you take it out to see how it tastes, I'm sure another one will take it's place.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Doc, what did you do?

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Doc, if the turtle has not made it to the dinner table yet and is still alive, let me know. The Georgia Aquarium called me last summer wanting one and if they haven’t gotten their hands on one since then, I think they would take it.

You can't judge a fish by looking at the pond--Bo Diddley
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I would give it to Matt or move it. It’s too big for the pond. They can be a hazard to humans when big.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I always chuckle at Lusk's favorite line regarding American snappers: If it gets a fish, the fish deserved it and you didn't want it in your pond anyway (paraphrased).

D
DocFish Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
ok, as karma would have it I went out at 2 am to check on it and it was gone. .. PS i really don't think I could ve killed it unless i was ..like in the movie Defience (desperate), then no prob... but I was glad it got away! i Am sure it went to the larger pond. I ll have pics as soon as my camera stops screwing up. and I can download again.

PS Those floating fountains even though cheap are simply beautiful. I am going to order two more for the larger pond as soon as the wife says yea:) ;\)

and fellas how now the fish are in ...dp I catch the rascals?:)
Not biting yet.. but neithrer are my bluegill.

Last edited by DocFish; 03/20/10 05:35 PM.

DocFish
D
DocFish Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
ok update, last two days water temp ha risen to 61 degrees in the crappie pond. I have beenobserving some hybrid activity against the shoreline. I nailed a total now of 5 crappie on jigs and even worms in the late afternoon hours. Haven't even tried minnows yet. I plan to start my tagging project tomorrow. I released all the fish they were about 7-8 inches and vigorous.

I am wondering will they spawn this season?

Last edited by DocFish; 04/13/10 08:43 PM.

DocFish
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Thanks for the update Doc. Keep em coming.

D
DocFish Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Update been constantly tagging fish . They are biting. Wonder if they are spawning????

Water temp 60 ish
weather 70 ish
bite depth avg 3ft max (shoreline)

Hitting live minnows like mad. 2nd jig 3rd a piece of night crawler

last just got my W.M crappe pole and 4lb vanishing line from BPS lets see whats next \:\)

Doc

DocFish
B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
Here is proof you can grow pretty nice crappie in a 3/4 acre pond. Last Friday we caught a half dozen fish close to this size. This was the largest at 15 inches held by an average sized 13 year old kid. Boy I love watching kids fish!

Gotta get back to fishin!
bz #220483 06/07/10 08:25 AM
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
That's a great fish from a small BOW!

R
R
doc fish, i just got my dam built and your experiment is really what i want to do with my pond. im new to the pond ownership thing but i really think i can manage a 3/4 pond of crappie. looking forward to seeing what data you have this fall.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
DocFish, do you happen to have any recent update for us, I think the last one was in April.

Thanks

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Sure wish crappie was a good thing to have in my pond. Being in the south i cant have trout either, oh well. Anything new on this thread?

I subscribe!
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
This thread, and crappie in a pond in general, is an interesting topic to me since I have them. A little background for those that do not know: 3-5 acre pond depending on season, stocked by previous owner in '06 with unknown mix of LMB, BG, CC, and who knows what. Something about the mix of species combined with the pond habitat has kept the crappie in check. In fact, I think they only have a decent spawn every few years as I only catch them in specific sizes ie 3-5 and 12-14 but nothing in between, even in nets. I guess it is just another odd piece of my extremely strange pond.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Aint there a crappie breed that dont breed or something? you could stock those if your dead on crappies.. I think its Hybrid

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Search 'Magnolia' on these forums for a discussion on Hybrid Crappie.

F
F
It can happen. Here are some crappie we caught in our 3 acre lake last spring. These range from 13" to about 18" No stocking in over ten years, and almost completely C&R during that time. Just a freak thing. Now comes the tricky part, trying to manage the pond to maintain these slabs.

Last edited by fishinbub; 01/27/11 10:24 PM.

Practice makes bad habits. Learning from practice makes perfect.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??