Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS, Ben Davis, DBS
18,529 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,010
Posts558,488
Members18,529
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,604
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
6 members (nvcdl, Lincoln Doug, Theo Gallus, Justin W, Augie, catscratch), 1,142 guests, and 498 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
josephm Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
J
Hello. I am hoping someone can help me. My wife and I are looking at a farm that has about a 1/4 acre pond built in red clay loam. Of course, the water is very cloudy and looks about like some sort of rust colored milk.

I am wondering if there is any way to correct this? I have heard hay or gypsum might be helpful, but I am not sure if these are long term fixes.

About 1/2 the property is straight sand and the 1/2 where the pond lies is red loam. I was also wondering if you could rework it by digging it out and hauling sand in about a foot deep to have a buffer between the water and the red loam.

We really like the property, but that is not really what I wanted in terms of a "good fishing hole" and somewhere that looks inviting to swim.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph

Last edited by josephm; 03/05/10 12:11 PM.
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Hello, joseph, and welcome to the Forum!

1. Have you done a bucket test to see if the clay settles out on its own, or if it is electrochemically suspended? Put some in a bucket or jar and see what happens over a couple of days - if it settles by itself, something is keeping it mechanically stirred up (like a lot of bottom feeding fish, fer instance).

2. If you can give a more exact location in the Great State of Texas, perhaps a member will have knowledge of your exact red loam. We do have 2 or 3 (thousand) Texans here.

3. To stay occupied, read through the next few posts in this category. "Alum kicks clays butt" alone should get you through the weekend.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Joseph, if you're along the Red River it can be iffy.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
josephm Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
J
Hello all. Thanks for the replies. The area this property is in is Burleson County, Texas (in the Milano/Caldwell area). The soil survery calls this soil "Gasil fine sandy loam".

I think the problem that causes the pond to have a reddish brown murky look is the amount of iron in the soil. Below is a description of the soil series:

http://www2.ftw.nrcs.usda.gov/osd/dat/G/GASIL.html

I was told there was a water well on the place, but it was not in use because of excessive iron in the water.

I am just wondering if anyone thinks that pond can be fixed somehow.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Joseph

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
OK, I read the link but am not a geologist. Clay can usually be settled but I don't know about iron.

I wouldn't want to buy the place and then start experimenting.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
The question of the old water well not being utilized because of the excessive iron in it causes concern on my project. I have two water wells at this present time, one 3" for my home and one old 2" well for the upcoming pond.
Many years ago dad told me the 2" well was located in a young iron mind so when I dug my 3" well for my home, I elected to install an de-ionizer before going into my water softener and then into my home. Both wells are about 35 yards from each other.
Concern is, will well water with high iron content affect the pond? Does anyone have any suggestions? I am pretty sure Joseph
as well as myself would greatly appreciate any advice.

I subscribe!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil has high iron in his water, and he's found that it irritates the fish's gills. He has a system where he runs the water thru a couple of 5 gallon buckets filled with bio-balls that helps get some of the iron out, plus it de-gasses and aerates the water before it reaches the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
glfranks
Recent Posts
Repairing Dam with Culvert?
by catscratch - 05/14/24 03:45 PM
Nested Mallards
by FishinRod - 05/14/24 02:48 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by Augie - 05/14/24 02:40 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by Stressless - 05/14/24 01:37 PM