Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,128
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Layne, Sunil, Angler8689, jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, jbird5986, Rick O, anthropic, Justin W), 974 guests, and 200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#206292 03/02/10 02:52 PM
B
bowjo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I am getting ready to stock a new pond.I am going to get some FHM in a couple weeks.I have been catching minnows for fishing.My question is,will the wild minnows live and reproduce in a pond?I will hand sort them and only put chubs or other fathead looking minnows in.I am in ohio and usually cath chubs,shiners and darts in the creek.I have sunk a stack of pallets and a tree for the future FHM's....Joe

bowjo #206294 03/02/10 02:55 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Joe, I don't know what all you've read here on the forum yet, but there are an awful lot of threads that advise giving very careful consideration to stocking wild fish in your pond for a variety of reasons, including the possibility of introducing parasites or other diseases that will most certainly impact your bought fish once they are stocked. Can it be done successfully? I suppose it can, but the downside risks can be pretty high when you consider the potential for infecting a whole batch of good hatchery fish. Especially when you consider the pricing on minnows and other similar forage fish, which I understand to normally be pretty affordable, the risk just doesn't seem worth it to me. I'm sure you'll get some other opinions, so hang tight!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Todd3138 #206299 03/02/10 03:18 PM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
$9.50 a pound for flathead minnow are cheap. And the other guy gotta catch them. Less work for me and I'm really into the less work deal.

Just working my pond for Grandkids
GET THE NET PAWPAW
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
My biggest concern would be that very young common carp look somewhat like minnows.

bobad #206323 03/02/10 06:28 PM
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
carp need a home to... just not in my pond!

RAH #206361 03/03/10 12:18 AM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
There are many species of "wild minnows" out there. Some are very good pond candidates they just aren't raised in the aquaculture industry and therefore not available except from wild sources... This doesn't mean they are bad candidates for the pond, many times they are better candidate to reach a pondmeister's goals than the good old fathead minnow or golden shiner. Other species will live in a pond, but won't be able to reproduce so they have little to no affect when stocked. Then others can cause serious consequences if released into a pond.

Previous posters have already mentioned the serious issues that can occur by stocking "wild minnows". Disease and parasite introduction, wrongly identifying species and introducing harmful species are top of the list. There are a number of precautions that can be taken to prevent these issues, but you have to be serious about it. Bill Cody and I have been working hard the past year to compile a series of articles to cover such an undertaking. But in order to do the series of articles right, it has taken a lot of research and photographs. This is because we don't want to write a series of articles that will lead people down the wrong road and affect their ponds in a negative way. This is how the stocking of "wild minnows" can seriously affect your pond! But, if done correctly you can obtain species that are excellent for ponds from the wild that aren't otherwise available.

My recommendation is to stick with known aquaculture species if you are a beginner. Even when obtained from aquaculture sources, the risk of disease, parasite and unwanted species introduction is there. This is why I recommend you source your fish from a known reliable source and if possible hand sort your fish. But for those interested in the idea of utilizing "wild minnows", keep an eye out for the series of articles coming up. Bill and I should have them done by the end of the summer. They should be a great guide for those people who are strongly considering this idea. There will be good quality photos of the top candidate species and excellent information on their collection and use in a pond.

For those who are catching wild minnows and are wondering if they would be a good candidate species, take some quality photos of the different kinds you are catching and post them on here, Bill Cody, myself or another will try to identify them for you and tell you what species they are and if they would be a good pond candidate.

CJBS2003 #206377 03/03/10 08:27 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That's great to hear, Travis. Sounds like you guys are puting together an interesting series of articles and I look forward to reading them. You mentioned in the thread about the N. Redbelly Dace that there are medications/treatments that one can use to treat wild minnows prior to stocking in our ponds. I'm curious if you will cover any of that info in the articles. I'm also wondering if that approach could be used with larger fish, like LMB, BG, etc. that one might want to transplant from the wild into a pond. I've read here about treating those sort of fish with what I guess I'd crudely call a saltwater sort of treatment to eradicate external parasites, but just curious about other options that might also be available.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I was intrigued by these two posts you made. Maybe it would be better to start a new thread for some chat on the subject.

Todd La Neve

Todd3138 #206379 03/03/10 08:41 AM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yes, Bill and I will cover those methods and they will also work for fish like BG and LMB.

CJBS2003 #206404 03/03/10 12:35 PM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Waiting for that article too.
I'm a wild fish kind of guy.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 03/03/10 12:36 PM.

CJBS2003 #206421 03/03/10 02:10 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Yes, Bill and I will cover those methods and they will also work for fish like BG and LMB.

Cool - looking forward to the series.

Todd La Neve

CJBS2003 #459015 11/11/16 01:59 PM
W
W
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
There are many species of "wild minnows" out there. Some are very good pond candidates they just aren't raised in the aquaculture industry and therefore not available except from wild sources... This doesn't mean they are bad candidates for the pond, many times they are better candidate to reach a pondmeister's goals than the good old fathead minnow or golden shiner. Other species will live in a pond, but won't be able to reproduce so they have little to no affect when stocked. Then others can cause serious consequences if released into a pond.

Previous posters have already mentioned the serious issues that can occur by stocking "wild minnows". Disease and parasite introduction, wrongly identifying species and introducing harmful species are top of the list. There are a number of precautions that can be taken to prevent these issues, but you have to be serious about it. Bill Cody and I have been working hard the past year to compile a series of articles to cover such an undertaking. But in order to do the series of articles right, it has taken a lot of research and photographs. This is because we don't want to write a series of articles that will lead people down the wrong road and affect their ponds in a negative way. This is how the stocking of "wild minnows" can seriously affect your pond! But, if done correctly you can obtain species that are excellent for ponds from the wild that aren't otherwise available.

My recommendation is to stick with known aquaculture species if you are a beginner. Even when obtained from aquaculture sources, the risk of disease, parasite and unwanted species introduction is there. This is why I recommend you source your fish from a known reliable source and if possible hand sort your fish. But for those interested in the idea of utilizing "wild minnows", keep an eye out for the series of articles coming up. Bill and I should have them done by the end of the summer. They should be a great guide for those people who are strongly considering this idea. There will be good quality photos of the top candidate species and excellent information on their collection and use in a pond.

For those who are catching wild minnows and are wondering if they would be a good candidate species, take some quality photos of the different kinds you are catching and post them on here, Bill Cody, myself or another will try to identify them for you and tell you what species they are and if they would be a good pond candidate.

sorry to revive an old thread, but did these articles ever happen?

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
bowjo #459020 11/11/16 03:21 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The articles were never published. The editor did not think, they as outlined, were not appropriate for PB Magazine. However most of this information has been posted on this forum. It is in bits and pieces and not summarized into one section or post.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
Bill Cody #459021 11/11/16 04:10 PM
W
W
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
The articles were never published. The editor did not think, they as outlined, were not appropriate for PB Magazine. However most of this information has been posted on this forum. It is in bits and pieces and not summarized into one section or post.

Well that's too bad! I have been finding it just like you described, bits and pieces here and there. Would have been pretty awesome to have it all summarized in one spot.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
bowjo #459026 11/11/16 06:21 PM
J
J
I stocked about 240 wild caught Gambusia in my newly renovated pond last fall when my little creek was down to a few small potholes. Otherwise, they are hard to catch with a net.
I have many thousands of Gambusia cruising the pond's shallows now. They have reproduced better than the FHM I stocked from a hatchery. I don't have any LMB in the pond yet.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 08:24 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday