Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 838 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#172482 07/08/09 03:10 PM
C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
HELP !! I believe I have a problem with Hydrilla or a Coontail.
I would like to kill off part of it and then control it. It does make for good cover for the minnows but it is expanding. It some parts of the pond it is submerged and in a couple shallower areas it is slightly emerged with a very small whitish flower.

C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
I accidently must have hit the submit button. I'm thinking I want a granular chemical that I can apply to the areas I want to get rid of. In OREGON many of the possibilities are restricted.
Can any one recommend something I can get to kill this stuff without hurting the rest of the POND. Thanks, Chuck

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Chuck, get a positive ID on your plant as many look alike and are treated differently.Then options can be developed.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Proper weed ID will save you time and money. Post a close up of the weed in your hand on the forum and someone will help you ID it for you.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
My understanding is that Hydrilla does not exist as of yet in Oregon. You probably have Elodea.

When I first found Elodea in my pond I thought it was Hydrilla but later determined it was Elodea.

We used a combination of Reward and Cutine plus on the Elodea and it worked wonders. I don't know if these herbicides are allowed in Oregon though.

Break off a strand and take a close up photo of the leaves. Then an identification can be made.

Here is a two page adobe file that will help you identify Hydrilla versus Elodea.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
THANKS !! I will take a better look at it today with Jeff's brochure. I dont know how to post pictures. Maybe my kids do.
Can the liquid Reward be used on this in specific locations? vs. the whole pond?? I will let you know I hope on Monday what I have. Thanks again, Chuck

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: chuck6565
Can the liquid Reward be used on this in specific locations? vs. the whole pond??

I'm no expert but as I mentioned before I used a Reward/Cutrine mix in my pond. I mixed the Reward/Cutrine with water as per the instructions on the labels and using a garden sprayer (we have one sprayer that we use exclusively for pond use, a blue one so the color reminds me it's only for pond use. A separate sprayer for the pond might be overkill but I didn't want any residual chemical from Roundup being injected into the pond). The Reward/Cutrine mix is heavier than water so it sinks. I put the "wand" of the sprayer beneath the surface of the pond and injected the mix right where I wanted it. The mix was a deep purple color so it was very easy to see where it was in the water. I think as long as you don't have too much water movement that you can keep the mix in a general location as opposed to having it move around the pond. I have a spring in my pond so when I sprayed it near the spring we could see the mix moving around. Still we were able to spot treat certain areas that needed some additional attention. I was very pleased with how the Reward/Cutrine mix obliterated the Elodea.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
The only strange side effect of treating the pond is that I found myself singing "Smoke on the Water."

Last edited by jeffhasapond; 07/10/09 10:10 AM. Reason: I felt the need to say something about the deep purple reference before Theo or Sunil did.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Lunker
Studio or "Made in Japan" version?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I knew I should have been more specific.

To paraphrase a moderator "Budokan, ahhh the lights."

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
Jeff and Theo; We must be about the same age. I need to get out my old Deep Purple albums and listen to one of my old favorites. Chuck

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I highly recommend that you do Chuck, in addition dust off your Led Zepplin, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, The Who, Aerosmith, CCR, Doobie Brothers, Eric Clapton (and any band that he played with), Fleetwood Mac, Janis Joplin, obviously Jimi Hendrix, Queen, Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones.... so much music (Ipod is approaching full capacity at well over 5,000 songs, time for a bigger Ipond). And that's if we're staying with the earlier stuff, now if we are moving in the 80s and 90s that is an entirely different conversation. Or if we're talking reggae, I have an entire collection of that as well.

Sunil, Brettski and Theo are the REAL music expert though.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
freaks

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: chuck6565
Jeff and Theo; We must be about the same age. I need to get out my old Deep Purple albums and listen to one of my old favorites. Chuck

IMHO "Stormbringer" was immensely underated.

Originally Posted By: burgermeister
freaks

We can't all be Chad & Jeremy fans.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
I highly recommend that you do Chuck, in addition dust off your Led Zepplin, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, The Who, Aerosmith, CCR, Doobie Brothers, Eric Clapton (and any band that he played with), Fleetwood Mac, Janis Joplin, obviously Jimi Hendrix, Queen, Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones.... so much music (Ipod is approaching full capacity at well over 5,000 songs, time for a bigger Ipond). And that's if we're staying with the earlier stuff, now if we are moving in the 80s and 90s that is an entirely different conversation. Or if we're talking reggae, I have an entire collection of that as well.

Sunil, Brettski and Theo are the REAL music expert though.

What, no Supertramp???

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: esshup
What, no Supertramp???

I love Supertramp. I couldn't name ALL of the music that I have. Heck I didn't even mention many other 60s and 70s groups that I love including: Doors, ACDC, obviously the Beatles, Joe Cocker, Blue Oyster Cult, David Bowie, The Eagles, Jefferson Airplane, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Simon & Garfunkel (ok come on you know you like them), Steppenwolf, etc.

And don't get me started on the 80s, 90s and upward.

And my record collection (ipod collection to be exact) doesn't even begin to approach Theo's. Got a music question be sure to ask Theo, sure he charges $5 for an answer but hey when ya gotta know ya gotta know.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
you forgot Leon Russell.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
you forgot Leon Russell. And Chad n. Jeremy.

C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
OK Back to my problem. I went out this morning and got a sample of the evil weed. It has a small white flower when emerged. the leaves are smooth to the touch with 4-5 leaves in a whorl. It seems to grow in patches that are getting bigger and more widespread each year. What do you think. It really did not fit the description of Elodia or Hydrilla but the long stems of it growing in a mass looked like it. It must be something closely related. Chuck

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
See if you can get a photo, that will guarantee accurate ID of your little problem...

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'm not really a music fan. However, I did get tossed out of a snooty Piano Bar in Phoenix for requesting Boxcar Willies rendition of Mule Train.

Oh well, they were kinda narrow minded and highbrow anyway.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Is it egeria?

If at first you don't succeed...look in the trash for the directions.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM