Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 719 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister

I copied it to my pics. I opened photobucket. I spent 15 minutes messing around on the site; never saw the previously easy to find "upload" option. WAY to convoluted of a site for me now.
Any suggestions for another site, or how to upload pics now?
I mean, I never found it!

See Posting Photos with Picasa.

Pause, reset, I think I will try Picasa. Convoluted messing around does not appeal to me. I have to get this done ASAP as my plate will be overflowing soon.

Last edited by Bob Lusk; 02/25/10 10:28 AM. Reason: dumped the ugly words
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
 Quote:
A) What are your opinions of paying a nominal annual fee to be a member of the forum?

B) Would you rather have a copy of the magazine in the mail, or an e-magazine?

C) If you got the e-magazine, would you stop subscribing to the printed copy?

D) How to you feel about having a free membership that has limited access to content? This may be a "read only" version of the forum. It may mean being able to access some articles, podcasts, videos, but having to pay for selected e-information.

E) Then, a "small" membership fee that has access to all the content, some of which is 'pay as you go', such as some of the e-information? This includes all privileges of the forum, including posting.

EE)Or, a "gold" membership, where you can have access to all the website, along with a "members only" forum where you get specific advice to specific problems from the top pros in the industry? This membership also includes a subscription to the magazine.

F) Finally, how much is this stuff worth? What should someone pay for a "medium" membership and what would you expect to receive. And, same question for the "gold" membership.

I have been awful busy of late and haven’t spent much time on the forum. I haven’t read this whole thread so I am just going to “wing it” with my thoughts.

A) I am willing to pay a fee to be a forum member though accessing the forum should be free for basic browsing/reading. Free access gets people interested and that produces magazine subscriptions and new forum member.

B) I want the printed magazine (it is too beautiful not have a hard copy) and also want all of the back issues of PBM available on line for searching, browsing, etc.

C) An e-zine would be a bonus offering and not a replacement for the hard copy.

D) This would be the free membership with no posting or other member benefits.

E) The mid-range membership should include a PBM subscription. If you aren’t committed enough to contribute 35-50 bucks to the cause you should remain in free-land.

EE)The high-end membership would be the only membership with full access to on-line past magazine content and the special stuff you mentioned.

F)Basic membership: free
Mid-range: $50.00 including the magazine
High-end: $100.00 including the Magazine.

You could have a contest to come up with catchy names for the membership levels.

I am late to the party, hopefully it isn't over!!

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"I am late to the party, hopefully it isn't over!!"

Well, Dwight, we tried to drag it on as long as we could waiting for you, but JHAP got too drunk and started telling everyone he loves them, so we had to call the whole thing off.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Dang JHAP! A little control please!!! \:\)

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

got that Lance Link thing goin'

Lunker
Lunker
Bob, I would like to see "archived" Pond Boss articles in PDF format available to current paid subscribers. An example would be "feed training SMB", "all male BG ponds", or "weed control". These archived articles could be organized in similar categories as they appear on the forum. They could also be referred to in discussions on the forum.

Make these "archived" PB articles pay per view for non-subscribers and free for current subscribers. It would be an incentive for new forum memebers to subscribe to the magazine.

I love the hard copy of the magazine so keep sending it. One thing I will say is that I have a hard time remembering which issue something was printed in when I go to look for it. A digital archive of past articles that have appeared in the magazine would be nice.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Shorty
Bob, I would like to see "archived" Pond Boss articles in PDF format available to current paid subscribers. An example would be "feed training SMB", "all male BG ponds", or "weed control". These archived articles could be organized in similar categories as they appear on the forum. They could also be referred to in discussions on the forum.

Make these "archived" PB articles pay per view for non-subscribers and free for current subscribers. It would be an incentive for new forum memebers to subscribe to the magazine.

I love the hard copy of the magazine so keep sending it. One thing I will say is that I have a hard time remembering which issue something was printed in when I go to look for it. A digital archive of past articles that have appeared in the magazine would be nice.

It seems to me that Mr Cody has periodically done an article index like you are asking for.. Here is one from a few years ago.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=110229#Post110229

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
With the advent of the Internet most of us, my self included, use Google, Bing (no relation) or other search engines for research on subjects we want information on.

I got to thinking about that in relationship to this site getting more hits. I thought up several "searches" that are directly related to the articles in the magazine and this site. They were Pond Scum, Pond Algae, Leaking Pond, Fish Management, Boat Docks, Stocking ponds, Stunted Bluegill, Fixing Leaky Ponds, Bass Pond Management, Farm Pond Management, etc. These topics are what Pond Boss articles as well as many discussions on the forum are about.

I went to Google and Googled each of them. As background most people who try to use Google to draw someone to their site say that if you are not on the first page of the search, and often not in the top three, no one will find you.

In none of the above topice did Pond Boss, articles in PB, etc. come up. Some of these searches had "our" advertisers in the top three, or certainly on the front page, and many of our advertisers had paid ads there too. (Google, like other sites sells paid ads that are highlighted on the right hand side of the screen).

I conclude from all of this that if someone doesn't already know about PB and just Google for help in gaining knowledge, fixing problems, etc. they won't find Pond Boss referenced.

Many of us know that incorrectly using chemicals in ponds, inproperly installing aeration, etc. are huge problems and the subject of much discussion on the forum.

So, to me at least, this strengthens the need for Search Engine Optimization.

Bottom line, we have more "no BS" info. to share here than anyone else anywhere. But those folks looking for info. don't know to come here. They often get good information from companies selling products but they also often get sold a bill of goods, (or some wild hybrid that doesn't live up to expectations).

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I found this site Google searching on a product which was mentioned in the forum.

S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: Bing

In none of the above topics did Pond Boss, articles in PB, etc. come up. Some of these searches had "our" advertisers in the top three, or certainly on the front page, and many of our advertisers had paid ads there too. (Google, like other sites sells paid ads that are highlighted on the right hand side of the screen).
(...)
I went to Google and Googled each of them. As background most people who try to use Google to draw someone to their site say that if you are not on the first page of the search, and often not in the top three, no one will find you.

Bing drops a truth bomb once again. The kinda sad thing is, with the frequency that you use this site, google should have seen your cookies and delivered a page or 2 from PB at the top of your SERP. I think with some special attention to SEO during in the midsts of the redesign Mr Lusk started this thread with, Huge improvements can and should (most certainly will...but rule #3 is there are no absolutes in SEO) be made.
For the record, the most common theory states that 80% of users are satisfied with the first page, and each page you force a user to click to, another 80% of the remainder of users are lost. Start with 100 users on page 1, on page 2 you only have 20, page 3 you've got 4 left, etc etc etc.
The big caveat with counting on that theory is that a page on page 2 is 50% less likely to convert than on on page 1. so, by page 3, you've only got a 25% chance of your normal conversion rate. Average conversions (for a really good site) are under 2%, which leaves a .5% rate in an optimal situation if your site is on page 3 of the SERP.
 Originally Posted By: Bing
Bottom line, we have more "no BS" info. to share here than anyone else anywhere. But those folks looking for info. don't know to come here. They often get good information from companies selling products but they also often get sold a bill of goods, (or some wild hybrid that doesn't live up to expectations).

boom goes a truth bomb.
Rule #2, content is king. PB has the content. Mr Lusk should be king.
-SB

Last edited by skinnybass; 02/25/10 08:17 PM. Reason: The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Those that said our beloved thread, "Pond holding water...success notes" needs Cliffs Notes could weigh in here, but I love every bit of all the threads. This thread is an extraordinary example of intense passion the runs in the members of PB forum. I am proud to be able to read it witness the diversity of thought it displays. Simply amazing.

PondBoss magazine subscriber
Don't text while driving!
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
I've been away from my computer and just started reading this but, I'm good with most of what has been suggested.

I like the paper mag but I could give it up if it helps keep the costs down and the quality and frequency of the articles on the website goes up.

I would absolutely pay for a membership for this forum/website but would probably not pay for both the print and the web version.

Good on you, Bob!

If you're too scared to throw that bait where the fish are, why did you tie it on?
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
If you Google "sunil small fathead" you will find at the top of the page: Taking Orders - Pond Boss Forum.

Think about it.....

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
I haven't had the chance to read through the entire thread, but I thought I would just add my own two cents.

I really like the print version of the mag, BUT I would have no problem switching to an electronic only version IF I had access to a searchable archive of all past PB articles. I would probably pay a little bit more for that luxury too.

This is the way so many publications are starting to go. I think PB would be wise to do so also. Even major newspapers are going this route this days.

The forums should remain totally free. It's how I came to find PB, and it's the reason I subscribed. I came to realize the value of PB Mag AFTER I became involved in the forums. Without the forums, I would have had no idea PB mag even existed. It's the best subscription recruitment tool you have, particularly for the younger folks out there. Further, think about this. If you had all the PB articles online, subscribing members would frequently link to them in forum threads, giving further incentive to new forum members to subscribe, so they can see them too. Again, a FREE forum and the members who participate in/on it are your best recruiters.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I would prefer the printed magazine. I like being able to sit on the couch and relax with the old Pond Boss mag. I think many of us sit in front of computers all day and can't wait to get away from it. Sometimes the old way of doing things is still better.
I would still buy it if the price went up little bit.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Dang good ideas in here.Im triing to catch up on what I missed being gone for awhile and there is just so much to catch up on.Any suggestions on which thread to hijack first would be appreciated.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
SEARCH? What Darn internet you guys been surfing on? I Haven't been on any forum and I do mean none that have a search that works. For that matter even google sucks for the most part. Just try to find pondboss without using the term "Boss"

The single best thing I like about this forum is when a newbie post with a question someone always tries to help with an answer or directs them to how to find the answer. On so many forums I join the first reply you get even just introducing youself is "Use the search engine before you ask us". This is even before a welcome comment is made.

If I was going to change anything I would change the Home Page forum link from "ask the boss" to pond boss forum or ask the boss forum. When I first found this site I did not even realize it had a forum. It was about 6 years latter I happen to stumble up on the forum serving the net not thru the pondboss home page.

Last edited by rockytopper; 03/10/10 05:35 PM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I could help with the finding pondboss without using the term "Boss" part. :)!

Dr. Flores D.V.M.
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: Gflo
I could help with the finding pondboss without using the term "Boss" part. :)!

zing! gflo...check your pm's

- -
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
What other keywords would you shoot for besides pond? any suggestions you have for longer-tailed keywords?

- -
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I am a subscriber and new pond owner - I find the advice on here just great. I personally would pay for the continued paper magazine as THEO said for the throne value alone...

I would also pay for a bundle option of being able to get the paper magazine and read/post on the forums as long as the cost is reasonable.

I think you have some good suggestions and I think most of us all find the site as a very valuable reference. The key is maintain that balance of cost/value and I think you will.

just my two cents.

I subscribe!

1/3 Acre pond - Central, OH
Deepest point 11 ft.
Stocked with:
Hybrid Bluegill, Bluegill, Yellow Perch, Largemouth Bass, White Amur.
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Bob,Your #1 mission on your list was to add 750-1,000 subscribers to the magazine. I've been to hospitals, dentist, gynocologists(sp),pediatrition(sp),doctors, attornys and other professional offices where I've never seen a Pond Boss Magazine.

Why not put a couple %? off coupons in each subscribers magazine to take to their favorite professional office (especially where they are waiting on their wives) to try and bring them aboard.

It really gets old looking at womens magazines waiting for her. Anyway, just an idea........

D
Lunker
Lunker
D

A) What are your opinions of paying a nominal annual fee to be a member of the forum?
Answer: Not sure, but I would probably not pay extra.

B) Would you rather have a copy of the magazine in the mail, or an e-magazine?
Answer: Definitely a copy in the mail!!

C) If you got the e-magazine, would you stop subscribing to the printed copy?
Answer: No

D) How to you feel about having a free membership that has limited access to content? This may be a "read only" version of the forum. It may mean being able to access some articles, podcasts, videos, but having to pay for selected e-information.

Answer: Don't like that idea. ESPN.com has the insider pay area of their site and don't even consider paying extra for it. I feel subscribing to the magazine should be worth something if you start charging to use the web site. I also think it'll be harder to increase your subscribers if you start charging more for everything.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, if not.
PLEASE add a spell checker in the responce box!
Nothing worse than having no access to a word that
you cant spell but you need to get your point across.

I subscribe!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I have a spell checker in myne... I wonder why yours doesn't? If a word of mine is misspelled, it gets underlined in red.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails