Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,971
Posts558,071
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,554
ewest 21,500
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bigtrh24, papereater, Tinylake, esshup, JoshMI), 951 guests, and 184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Many folks have had some ice this year and I was just wondering if anyone took advantage of the hard water to easily place unwanted stuff for the fishies to utilize? Lets see the pics if you got em. Pics from the past will work too.

I spent saturday making a line of trees over 500 feet long. My dad and I cut em down and dragged em out. We strategically are using these trees to make a highway connecting the deep water of the lake with my favorite fishing channel. Here are a couple pics:

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
No pics, but I did put structure into my pond this year using the ice. Not often we get cold enough long enough to get truly safe ice, but this year was an exception to the rule thankfully.

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
For anyone interested, here is a 3D lake map of the bottom of my lake. I placed the fish structure right along the drop off of the deep water over to the channel in the northeast portion of the lake.
Norris Lake Map

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have used ice to place my Christmas trees, but it still doesnt always go where you want it. Sometimes the ice will break up and the tree will float around on the ice flow blowing all over the pond before it sinks, even with a five gallon bucket of concrete holding it down.

I might use the idea of spreading lime on the ice this year, and a friend uses the ice to spread dye

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Nate, like Rex, I'm wondering if they will sink right where you have them. Did you add weights?

Just do it...
n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You need to read Shawn's article from last pond boss issue on how to sink stuff! it wont move far.

I am going to anchor everything down on thursday, I didnt have time on Saturday.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
 Quote:
Many folks have had some ice this year and I was just wondering if anyone took advantage of the hard water to easily place unwanted stuff for the fishies to utilize? Lets see the pics if you got em. Pics from the past will work too.

Good Luck! It may go straight down to the bottom where you placed it. In my experience that is very unlikely.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
WIth the method I described in the last PB, your brushpiles will go down very close to where you want them. The deciding factor is depth. The actual depth of the water for your brush becomes the maximum variance from the centerpoint of your placement. For example, if your brushpile is built on a certain spot on the ice over 10' of water, then your brushpile will be within 10' of the centerpoint. If you are over 6' of water, then your brushpile will be withn 6' of centerpoint. As long as you follow the steps outlined in the article and use quality materials, then this rule holds true. I've had success with this on large windswept lakes that are far more like likely to have ice shifts/drifting than a smaller pond. THe article is in the Jan/Feb 2010 issue and starts on page 26.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
I was wondering if the ice flow will pull the anchors out when it moves. It will probably work on most ponds but my pond is big with 3-4 feet of ice. That stuff can float around alot in the spring.

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Blair, you don't have a pond... You got a lake! I am waiting for you to post pics of polar bears on your ice drifts. HAHA

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Blair, you can plop a duck decoy onto your pile of sinking junk to see where it does indeed end up?

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Blair,

You pose a great question to which I don't have a great answer. I'm used to ice less than 21" and the method works great in these situations. Three to 4' is a different story. Man!! You have some serious ice. I would tend to say go ahead and try it on a couple of areas but use a few anchors per brushpile instead of just one. The anchors are dang near impossible to dislodge but you are talking about some serious forces with the amount of ice you have. I would tend to think the rope would break before the anchor became dislodged. In the past I've used rope and stainless wire rope with no problem, but never in a situation like yours.

The most common reason I've seen brushpiles not sink where they are supposed to has not been related to ice shifts. Rather, it's been from the lack of appropriate weight (cinder blocks). For example, the brushpiles may survive the thaw and ice shifting if it exists but then become bouyant and drift prior to becomming water logged and sinking. I've also seen the brushpiles drift across the ice prior to thaw due to high winds. This method solves both of these problems.

However, I think a pond with your size that has the capacity to form so much ice might be a limiting factor with this method. I don't know if this method is iceberg proof!! Let me know if you give it a try. You might get lucky. My only advice would be to use more anchors per brushpile but I think you're rolling the dice with your situation. Thanks for your comments/questions. If you try it, I would be very interested in your results.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
It is not hard to move most added structure ( like pvc trees , xmas trees ) after it sinks from a boat. Tie a poly rope to it and put a float on the other end (leave plenty of slack). Then after ice out move them to where you want them (sub ice depth) permanently. Not sure you gain a lot by putting it in and moving it vs. waiting on summer to place it the first time.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker

Here are a couple I did last month. It sure made it easy to get it all out there. The one pic the ice is already melting and the trees fall in just right!!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
RC its a little different when you have a foot of ice to melt vs 2-3 inches. Where your ice can melt in a day or two, ours is more likely to float all over the place in 45 degree temps for three weeks. Looks like your forage will be happy you made the effort though

Lunker
Lunker
This is what we did at Bremer Pond. Our best laid plans were for naught as the trees dropped off a floating ice pack pretty randomly around half the pond. The giant X's we did not have enough weight on and had to pull them from being beached with a boat, reload with more cement blocks, and drop them where Dwight wanted them.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=6639&Number=64829#Post64829

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey REX,

Your right I didn't have long to do what I had to do. It was a little scary going out onto my ice like you said. The whole time is was cracking and making noise!! It was a little scary. I did have chest waiters on though so I did have a little bit of a safety net.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Chest waders and ice can be bad if the water is deeper than your chest... You bust through the ice, go in over your chest and the water gushes into your waders turning into a cold heavy weight holding you down and making it that much harder to get out... Not that I would know from first hand experience or anything, but when it comes to ice, PLEASE BE CAREFUL!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Anytime you're going into the water wearing chest waders it's a good idea to put one of those belts on the outside of the waders. It'll slow down the water getting inside of them, but it won't keep it all out.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah thats what I do. I have a belt I put on that goes under my arms and around. It's tight enough to slow it down like you said. Plus I wasn't in water over my head only about 4 feet or so.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Lifejacet should be worn as vell.
I have been asisting in pulling up a guy that drownd do to the high boyance in his legs, he didn't manage to keep his head up above the water, for the time it took to safely help him.
He would much likely have surevived with water comming in.

PAUL

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bjennings79, chris vice, GRACOMAN
Recent Posts
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 04/30/24 05:47 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 04/30/24 05:07 PM
Fish food
by LANGSTER - 04/30/24 03:11 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by ghdmd - 04/30/24 11:41 AM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by Boondoggle - 04/30/24 11:32 AM
Frustrated
by Snipe - 04/30/24 10:53 AM
New pond stocking
by esshup - 04/30/24 10:41 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/30/24 09:17 AM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/30/24 07:56 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Concrete pond construction