Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,110
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
9 members (Boondoggle, Sunil, jbird5986, FireIsHot, Angler8689, FishinRod, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, Deancutler), 762 guests, and 180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
OP Offline
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Greetings All!
For the better part of two years, we've been talking about improving the website.
All of you are vital members...and to that end, I want your input.
We have several missions.
1) Increase paid subscriptions to the magazine. In order to get where we need to go, we need to add 750-1,000 subscribers each year for the next 3-5 years.
2) Organize the information that people seek. Right now, we offer the magazine and a few books and videos. We want to add selected articles, podcasts and videos. We are thinking some of this stuff should be free, some of it should be e-books, e-articles, etc. for pay.
3) Increase the profitability of the website for the owners. Right now, we are thinking of offering a mix of free articles, free videos, podcasts, etc. But, we are also thinking we should offer paid memberships that include a subscription to the magazine and access to the e-products.
4) I don't intend to change this forum. There are so many things I like and a handful of things I don't like. I love the fact that we are all family. I love the fact the forum is completely warm and family friendly and chock full of great information. The things I don't like are: the forum isn't 'search friendly', especially for newcomers looking for specific information; I don't like the fact that too many threads are hijacked. I also don't like it that we don't have a good form of social media where members can build their own page...right now posting photos is a royal pain. (That's the main reason I don't blog often.).

So, here's where I'm going.

I want feedback. The website will improve over the next two or three months. We plan to add some exciting things, especially content. We plan to improve our search engine optimization.

Sunil has suggested many times that we offer a "donation" tab for people who want to support the site. I've been on the verge of doing this several times. But, I would rather have members who pay a little and receive something of more value.

My specific questions are:

A) What are your opinions of paying a nominal annual fee to be a member of the forum?

B) Would you rather have a copy of the magazine in the mail, or an e-magazine?

C) If you got the e-magazine, would you stop subscribing to the printed copy?

D) How to you feel about having a free membership that has limited access to content? This may be a "read only" version of the forum. It may mean being able to access some articles, podcasts, videos, but having to pay for selected e-information.

E) Then, a "small" membership fee that has access to all the content, some of which is 'pay as you go', such as some of the e-information? This includes all privileges of the forum, including posting.

EE)Or, a "gold" membership, where you can have access to all the website, along with a "members only" forum where you get specific advice to specific problems from the top pros in the industry? This membership also includes a subscription to the magazine.

F) Finally, how much is this stuff worth? What should someone pay for a "medium" membership and what would you expect to receive. And, same question for the "gold" membership.

Feeback please!

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/21/10 09:25 PM. Reason: Added letters to questions

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I really like a lot of what I have just read. This forum already has so much to offer and with the added ideas, if they come to fruition should not be free. I'm just gonna sit back for a bit and see what others have to say though...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I really like a lot of what I have just read. This forum already has so much to offer and with the added ideas, if they come to fruition should not be free. I'm just gonna sit back for a bit and see what others have to say though...

I'd like to add a bit to what CJ said. Personally, I prefer the print copy. While it isn't as searchable month to month as an electronic copy, it sure makes reading it in certain rooms of the house easier. Also, the Luddite in me prefers print for longivity. (I don't give away my copies)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I like having an actual hardcopy of the magazine for "portability" to my preferred reading spots.

Regarding the "dontate" thing I've brought up before, look at the link below: 1) The upper right corner of the forum page has a Paypal donate tab; 2) The second from the last thread is called "ICW Hall of Fame" where those who donated are credited.

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/index.php

Bob, regarding your comment about paying members receiving a little more, I fully understand, but want to make certain you know how much you've already given just by creating this forum.

I do suggest changes to the Pond Boss home page. When a newcomer arrives at that home page, it is not easy to know that the forum exists. I think the main page should offer (3) very, very clear options: 1) Go to the magazine and facilitate purchase; 2) Go to the merchandise page and facilitate purchase; 3) Go to the forum.

Last edited by Sunil; 02/21/10 03:18 PM.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Make posting photos here more user friendly. A photo here is worth more than a thousand words. Talk to skinny bass about search engines and marketing the site, that is his deal.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
It's really not hard to post a picture here though (in my opinion).

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Well, since I just got on now, I wont wait to see other inputs.
Excited to see the new options being thought about.
As a thread hijacker, I feel somewhat uneasy with a suggestion post right off the bat. But, it being a free public forum and ideas have been asked for, here goes:

Bob, you may remember my long time complaint re: living in Tx, and a Tx written mag. being delivered in an untimely fashion. I am a former subscriber because of this. I just have a mental block against this issue. I have said I would pay for expediting, but realize that for a very few subscribers would not be possible.
If you are planning on upping the effort to gain new subsribers, I suggest an expedited alernative to getting bulk delivery from Pa., to TX, Ca., Az., Ak. etc. Same distribution point, but a step up in delivery rate. I am not familiar with the USPS options, but feel there must be some.
Second possibility, multiple dist. point. Haven't a clue if either of these is feasible, but you asked for suggestions.
Print and electronic options would suit me well. I cant comment on videos, pod casting etc....I spend too much time reading on the computer as it is.
As far as pricing, I am only the customer, whatever will make you all a decent profit for work input is your call.

B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
1 If I had to pay to be a member on the forum I would still be money ahead because of all the good info. So yes!

2 E mag would save a ton of money and would be just as good with me. Having the Laptop on the throne might not be as convenient though.

3 yes I would stop.

4 Free read only members still have access to good info but you would still get them buying stuff through the site so I think its a good idea.

5 I think the small fee one should be "read and post" with an e- mag subcription

6 I am afraid of not being able to afford gold membership and missing the good info in the "members only" part.

I think I would be a gold member but choose the e mag instead of the mag.

Our wildlife federation send newsletters by email instead of mail and they saved around $15000.00 last year. The saving are huge.

I will let someone else give you a number on what its worth.

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
My name is Sunil, and I'm a thread high-jacker.

Burger, out of curiosity, which irks you more about the magazine delivery? Is it that the current issue of the mag is announced on the forum, and that eventually specifics are discussed, all prior to you ever getting your copy?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Just some thoughts from Nate:

Member page would be pretty cool. BigBluegill.com saves all the photos and stuff you post on the site automatically onto your members page. Donations is a very good idea. Also think that photo contests and other ways to get people involved in stuff like gaining new members with chances to win certain prizes like LL2 fishing trips, or a vertex aeration system or a sweeney or texas hunter fish feeder for various things would generate quite a bit of interest and subscriptions and participation

What are your opinions of paying a nominal annual fee to be a member of the forum? I would be very willing to pay a fee to have the ability to ask pond questions to the nations leading pond experts. That is invaluable for a guy like me who actively manages 1000's of acres of water and is likewise very valuable to Joe down the road who just manages his own 1/4 acre fishing and swimming hole

Would you rather have a copy of the magazine in the mail, or an e-magazine? Both: I like getting the mag, but also would love access to some of the many articles online for various reasons. Also I would be willing to pay for access to many of the articles of the past as well

If you got the e-magazine, would you stop subscribing to the printed copy? Nope. You could simply have the e-mag available as an accessory or feature or upgrade along with your print subscription, or make it so it is the same if not more profitable than the print and not worry about losing print subscribers.

How to you feel about having a free membership that has limited access to content? This may be a "read only" version of the forum. It may mean being able to access some articles, podcasts, videos, but having to pay for selected e-information. Great Idea!

Then, a "small" membership fee that has access to all the content, some of which is 'pay as you go', such as some of the e-information? This includes all privileges of the forum, including posting. Another great idea!

Or, a "gold" membership, where you can have access to all the website, along with a "members only" forum where you get specific advice to specific problems from the top pros in the industry? This membership also includes a subscription to the magazine. Yet another great idea!

Finally, how much is this stuff worth? What should someone pay for a "medium" membership and what would you expect to receive. And, same question for the "gold" membership. I dont think many forum members even realize how valuable it is to have access to so many knowledgable pond freaks from all walks of life. Consultation fees for personalized service like what is given away for free on this website typically run about $100 per hour or more. That being said, the information is what initially brought me personally to pond boss, but the entertainment and friendships is what keeps me coming back. If it was all down to business with question/answer and no thread hijacks I wouldnt read nearly as many threads as I currently do. Entertainment keeps me coming back everyday, information maybe once a week or maybe even once a month.

Lunker
Lunker
Paper copy for me. It's too hard to balance a laptop computer while on the reading throne.

I don't care who gets the first copy or the last copy of the mag, but we never discuss articles from the current issue here while they are hot, out of deference to the late receivers. It'd be nice if we could fix that.

How about a pay-per-post Forum, Bob?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
My name is Sunil, and I'm a thread high-jacker.

Burger, out of curiosity, which irks you more about the magazine delivery? Is it that the current issue of the mag is announced on the forum, and that eventually specifics are discussed, all prior to you ever getting your copy?

No, it's just that I know you get yours before me. \:D

Actually, the mag. is printed with somewhat seasonal emphasis. We already know it had to be written several wk. in advance. When delivery dates used to be posted on the forum, it became evident that it was not always due to the postman hijacking it. They would show up 2/3 wks. late. I do know that they have planes to deliver across country so a few days max. should be the spread in receiving the mag.
On at least 2 occasions, 2 or more wks. after you receiving yours I had to order one from Whitesboro, then one time, one came in the mail after I received the expedited copy.

I could go buy one at the new Bass Pro in the area, but I dont get out on the beltway in that direction often. I dont need to go to bass Pro, I have Stubby Steve's.

An e copy would solve some of the problems, I could look at the items that interest me the most, immediately, then peruse the hard copy later.

B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
I thought about pay per post also and I think it would cut down on the info way to much. Pay per hijack would be good!!!

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

T
Lunker
Lunker
T

It's a pain in the neck. I should be able to copy and paste like most other forums. But instead I have to enclose it in an E mail, send the e mail to Omaha, tell him where it should go, and hope that it gets there. Then I have to write captions in a seperate post. I agree with Bob, I post a bunch of photos and a lot more if I did not have to go through that.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: blair5002
Pay per hijack would be good!!!

Then you would miss out on a lot of info. No one is ever on the same page, then,,, whoever reads the manuals! Some threads NEED to be Hijacked.

If it was all dry reading, I could send you a copy of NEC Code to cause the least amount of pain and keep you entertained. I have other options, but that would be cruel.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Web sites make money by selling advertising. Pond owners spend money. You do not need to re-invent the internet. Commercial enterprises will pay to advertise their services. Try other money-making methods at your own risk.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That is a lot of options and I am not sure I understand them all.

A few thoughts.

Is the goal lots of participation from many with the idea that a low % will subscribe or low participation with higher % of sales (Wal-Mart or Tiffany )

When I first go to a web site/forum if it costs or requires to much info I leave - not interested. So ease of initial entry is a key to finding new people.

If extra info is available for a small cost like a pod cast on special subject I don't mind paying for that.

Different levels of cost associated with different levels of product are a good option. X$ for the mag and X+ for extras like pod casts , access to back issues on line , direct line to a pro's opinion (email), and others.

Easy finding of info is key. The archives was our first attempt at that but most don't seem to go there. Part of that is that the FAQ section at the top covers stuff other than info. A bit confusing. Changing the names would help.

A searchable index to the mag issues as a forum heading may result in more sales of back issues.

I have no problem with the search function but others do. Sometimes I get strange results but can usually find stuff. Often though if one searches for a common theme like BG growth rate you get all the results for BG , growth and rate (so much that it is useless). Remembering key words in a thread are the most useful concept in my search attempts. That however for a newer member is not worth much as they don't recall the thread as they were probably not involved.

I also like a paper copy as it is mobile and not dependant on the computer or net. Having a member # for an extra charge which gives access to mags on line in a searchable format is an idea.

Posting pics is not so hard but it could be easier. I am highly concerned with 2 aspects of the pics. First when a pic posting member takes down the photos (either himself or because his host goes away) it greatly harms the thread. Second the failure of the host would destroy many of the threads here. Think of the effect if photobucket went away - out of business or started charging its customers forcing them to quit.

The Forum is a good sales platform for those selling services here (indirectly) but how is that quantified and is the cost made up by PB through other means?

A forum heading "pod casts" or "services" which take the viewer to a pay PB site with options is one idea. Keep in mind that many people don't use pay pal type services and others will not put a credit card # on line. Id theft is serious with many thousands of credit and debit card #s and pass words being stolen and used.

More later after some thought.

Lunker
Lunker

I will second that. Whats hard about uploading to photobucket and putting the img code in the post here?

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
My kids helped me post pictures here. i guess I am stupid. But my kids are not. By the way, this is the only blog I post on.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
P.S. I post here because I like the quality of the posters.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Personally, as someone who has enough trouble paying his bills, I would be a little saddened for this place to cost money.

But depending on the cost I would probably suck it up. I value this site, more for entertainment and learning then to actually apply it to my own life at the moment, as I do not own a pond; but i really enjoy spending time on this site.

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
As a fairly newcomer, I read forum for several weeks before I joined and subscribed to magazine. I was gaining so much good info
that I felt I needed to support the ones making this possible. Every thing I have ordered or in the plans has and will come from the vendors on this forum. My thoughts are:
1. Access and reading of forum and archives to remain a free service, with a membership fee to gain full access to post and access to any PB sponsored media on site.
2. E-mag would be good in some aspects, but I still like my hard copy. Can see though that having magazine articles archived would be a big advantage.
3. Would a donation option(even on a trial basis) be a better and less cumbersome option than membership??
Lamar

Lamar
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I am not a business man, so I really can't add much to this. What I like may not and most likely isn't what the vast majority of what other people would like. In the end, there are two goals... First make money, second further the management of private ponds and small lakes.

I do however like the idea of semi formal on-line consulting that a "Gold Membership" would carry... If you had such membership, you had access to a set number of direct answer questions from known experts who would take the time to personally answer your question that would be viewable by other "Gold Members". People who are the true experts like Bob Lusk, Bill Cody, Mike Otto, Dave Willis, etc... For example you're a new pond owner from Ohio and are looking for stocking recommendations. You can get tailored advice from certified pros, other "Gold Members" can view this advice but not hijack the thread and take it on some tangent.

But I also like the "amateur hour" where guys like me can share their thoughts and ideas even though I am not certified expert. I think that is where most of us have fun. You don't have to be a certified expert to have some good advice and experiences to share...

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Bob I am not too picky, but I like my printed version of the magazine so I can save the articles at home. I also like to be able to search the forum for info when needed.

I believe if a person subscribes to the magazine he/she should be able to use the online forum for free. If a person wishes to only subscribe to the forum they should be able to do so for a lesser fee than the magazine would cost, maybe 1/2 price or so. I bet a large percentage of forum only members would eventually become magazine subscribers and book purchasers as well.

Thanks for fixing the search function, this site has one of the worst ones I have ever encountered online. I have no idea how Eric manages to find the articles that he does.

Thanks for a great site and mag

Last edited by rexcramer; 02/21/10 06:15 PM.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: lassig

I will second that. Whats hard about uploading to photobucket and putting the img code in the post here?

I guess you are right. Just tell Bob Lusk he has it all wrong and should blog more often even though he feels like me posting photos is a royal pain.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:07 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails