Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,972
Posts558,078
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,556
ewest 21,500
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
8 members (Boondoggle, catscratch, FishinRod, Dave Davidson1, esshup, Knobber, Bobbss, Sunil), 925 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
slang Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
The trout in my deepest pond 22'+ have stopped biting at anything and I can not catch them no matter what I use. They dont even go after the fish food anymore and that was since last spring.

OK, they are still in there, i can see them mocking me. lol
The fish are 2 years old and about 2-3 lb in size. The only thing I can think about is there are a LOT of bugs swiming around even under the ice this week and during the spring and summer the entire shore line is packed with polywogs? or baby frogs.

What gives?
How do I get them out short of a stick of dynomite. EEEK

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance pond gods.....

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
This is what makes the browne facinating

2 ways to get a browne in the wild on rod.

1 outsmart, with either good imitationes of what is natural food available, or surprice/confuse him with a juice live meale he cant resist to taste/try

2 anoi him by intruding on his turf

If it's a cathc and reelease pond, the challenge increases for every time they have been hooked.

If you see them, they probably see you. And they can also hear.

Have fun, and keep trying differente aproaches thats the game

PAUL
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Canned Corn

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
First of all brown trout are a very wary species and notorious for not cooperating for anglers. Second of all if you have caught any of these fish and released them your odds of catching them again are even lower yet.

For those of us that have fly fished for them they can be maddeningly picky if the fly does not match the hatch. With my experience with them in a small pond when it became harvest time, I got a few of of the dumber ones with artificial lures, or only if I pissed the off by running a spoon past them over and over again. After that it was match the hatch (pellets only) or you could forget about even getting a bite. I had a couple of friends throw in crawlers and minnows without so much as a bite. One day I had Mr. & Mrs. Orvis flyfisher people over who refused to use anything other than flies. I told them the brown trout wouldn't be interested but they ignored me. After two hours of flailing the water with every fly in the box they drove away in a huff without so much as a strike. Two friends showed up that evening (another thing is your luck improves for browns under low light conditions), and landed about a dozen up to 9 pounds using the infamous pantyhose pellet. As the light dimmed a real plus was a small icefishing float as a strike indicator.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/21/10 07:36 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
When I went to Penn State I fished some very challenging brown trout streams. When the brown trout would actually rise up and tap the dry fly with their nose, it would get quite frustrating! I typically enjoyed streamer fishing more as the bigger brown trout were usually caught that way, but to catch 10"-14" wild brown trout that had been caught more than a half dozen times in their life on a size #28 black midge dry fly on 1 pound test tippet was a challenge I enjoyed. Brown trout are smart little buggers! When we stock them in the creek behind out hunting cabin, after they've been hooked once or twice it's almost impossible there after. Match what they are eating as best as you can is all I can say... In a pond, it's most likely some sort of scud imitator as I have had my best luck in ponds on brown trout using that, particularly in a green hue.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tbar
Recent Posts
Is my feeder toast?
by FishinRod - 04/30/24 09:50 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/30/24 09:40 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/30/24 09:31 PM
New pond stocking
by Knobber - 04/30/24 09:26 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 04/30/24 05:07 PM
Fish food
by LANGSTER - 04/30/24 03:11 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by ghdmd - 04/30/24 11:41 AM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by Boondoggle - 04/30/24 11:32 AM
Frustrated
by Snipe - 04/30/24 10:53 AM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/30/24 07:56 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday