Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shorthose, rjackson, gehajake, catscratch), 1,003 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#203135 02/08/10 12:41 PM
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I have a moist soil management area about 18 acres I can flood this about 3.5 foot deep as presently constructed. If I wanted to convert this to a lake it would require a soil removal of about 5 foot to get to 8 foot of water depth, which I believe defeats plant growth and could become a viable fishery. I believe water supply is not a problem. How much soil can be removed how fast? I can establish a few islands but the bulk of soil would need trucking up to 400 yards. How much money ie. days would a track hoe and trucks require for a project of this scale? I see some advantages as I know it will not leak (the water table is about 3 feet down; which might complicate excavation)I can cut ledges and lay in lime as I go. What do you think? possible? Too costly? Are there any issues I'm not thinking of. I flood through the winter to duck hunt and too much water is usually the problem. Would water level fall in summer? I have about a 6 inch pipe of water (minimum) flowing year round with sustaintal runoff. I know the water table will work in reverse in dry times. I read about a lot of folks sweating rain to fill their ponds and this would not be a problem here. No damn to break or leak.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Bob
On acre one foot deep has 1666 cubic yards. That times five times 18 about 150,000 cubic yards. The idea of islands is a good one it will eat up a lot of dirt and make for much better fishing.

400 yards to move the dirt is not that far but there will be a mountain when you finish. Are you filling in a hole?

Otto

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Yeah, you remember Otto I've got the place outside of Moore Station. You recall I could fill the barrow ditch and widen the berm as well as increase the height. I'm considering this project in that the wetland has not been too succesful in bringing waterfowl. I like to bass fish. Could buy a lake lot or build this pond. The low water crossing was successful and I now have plenty water to this location(at least as described above assuming that's enough)An aside project would be to build up a road bed across a low area with spoil dirt starting almost at the edge of the pond. Dump then push, dump then push. I think you're trying to tell me something; 1666 per acre foot divided by 12 yard truck 138 loads divided by 3 an hour equals 46 hours per acre aprox. one week per acre? 18 weeks plus some dozer time? Give or take 1500/day? 7000/week? some economy of scale 100,000 for project?

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Hey Otto, I was hoping you would look at this thread and comment if I'm in the ball park with my time and cost guesstimation. If the money part of my guess causes some kind of conflicts just comment on my time guess. Thanks, Bob

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Bob
The dump truck will get more than three load per hour but will not haul 12 yards per load. The total will be close, as long as everything goes smooth.
As often as not the dump truck will back off the side of the berm and spend a half a day getting it un stuck.

Otto

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Of course you're right Otto, might have to use 6 yard trucks to keep from getting stuck. Thanks, Bob

B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
If the bottom is firm enough, get a scraper in there. It will move dirt faster than anything else I think. Since you say you are below the water table I imagine it's quite soft so this may not work.

Gotta get back to fishin!
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Scrapers are the best if the will work. Do not give up. Lets get the lake built.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Hey thanks for the info. I'm considering this pretty carefully. I have had mother nature teach me many hard lessons at his point and I can't help but worry I'm overlooking something. The "what ifs" keep haunting me. What if I get half way through the project and all the way through the money. What if the hole gets dug and the water flow just disappears through the ground, after all I'm counting on the water table to provide a bottom. What if the stream flow doesn't overcome evaporation etc. This project would be an unconventional installation thus not as solid a bet as conventional---- ah but success would be sweet.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Bob

The plan you are making should include a price from the dirt contractor that will get the job done.

The water situation is always a problem and you need to do your homework as mush as you can.

Dig the holes--look at the other ponds close by.--

do not give up yet.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thanks Otto, The water flow is more than a six inch pipe can handle year round add to that surrounding run off ;it can overwhelm a 2 foot culvert. Given that the water table is about 2 foot or less down I think its a good bet. However, the summer drought could lower this table and I suspect the 6 inch flow might not hold it up. A couple foot variance wouldn't be a disaster" I don't think", but could it get worse hmmm? You have to remember this pond's theory is not a water holding/water containing soil pocket. It would be a berm to contain water from a constant water flow on top of the pool of water created by digging below the water table. Man that doesn't even make sense to me when I read it... Do you follow the thinking? Yes, I understand the idea of bid in hand for price to complete the project, but having been around contracting and ,no offense, particularly dirt guys I know if the project goes south they will bail with whatever draws they can garnish and call it lesson learned. That would leave me with a big sloppy hole quite unlike the imagined pond. Its scary out here.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM