Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
10 members (Zep, Mainer, Donatello, Joe7328, Shorthose, Snipe, NADam, ArkieJig, highflyer, Lake8), 1,160 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 45 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 44 45
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Foam rubber; after you DON'T call the inspector and discuss it.

I have another suggestion afer the inspector passes it.

Have D'ski do the walkthru with the inspector.

Hey, you did call HOUSTON.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Use the stairs to go up. Install a pole to slide down.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
\:D \:D \:D

Lunker
Lunker
Bski, how would the head clearance be if you dropped the elevation of the landing one (or 2?) steps and extended the length of the upper stairs by one (or 2?) steps. I think this would necessitate moving the door at the top of the stairs 90 degrees to the right, giving an upper landing with the window and closet access as you discussed above.

Comments:

1. Best flow through ventilation would be with the stairway door open to draw air up through both floors, cool in at the bottom and warm out at the top. But perhaps you will want to exclude shop/garage odors some times, so I can see where wanting access to the window without having the stairway open comes from.

2. There are two places in my parents' old house, the bottom of the stairs and the entrance to my Dad's workshop, where I learned to duck as I reached 6'3" in height. I hardly ever hit them after I got out of my teens. (Of course, I didn't live there much after my teens, either.)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Use the stairs to go up. Install a pole to slide down.

You'd trust any of these three around a brass pole?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
My first choice would be a too small for code landing. Second would be as is. Third would be , as Burger and I keep telling you , a safety harness and rope tie off and swing down from the upstairs window.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Bski, how would the head clearance be if you dropped the elevation of the landing one (or 2?) steps and extended the length of the upper stairs by one (or 2?) steps.

I was thinkin' more on this one last night. Then, I found the national codes for stairways.
Rockytopper can correct me if I am wrong...
The only way I can gain the height at the headbumper is to drop the landing by one step. This would extend the upper stairway run by one more step. I do believe that it will be close, but it should maintain about 38" of landing.
In the pix, the lower stairway treads are 42" wide. They would narrow down to 36" to correctly ascend to the now smaller landing. At 36", they are the min tread width allowed.
Having the landing lower by 1 step does provide a bonus WRT the lower stairway. It makes it 1 less step, thereby moving it back from the service door by 9".

Regarding not having a landing at the top of the staircase, I picked this one up from the code.
 Quote:
A floor or landing is not required at
the top of an interior flight of stairs,
including stairs in an enclosed garage,
provided a door does not swing over
the stairs.

-
If the alteration to the landing does work out, I pick up 8" of height at the headbumper for a total of 77" clearance. Code is 80". The building inspector is (about) 72". It's worth the gamble.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Bski I'm not sure what rise and run you have. One way to fix the problem is to use the landing itself be part of the stair case and instead of just turning 90 deg you turn 180 deg with the stair case assuming you have the space to do this. Refer to this link of my floor plan http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9017&fpart=3
to see what I’m talking about. I also wanted to make the most of my square footage so the stair cases were limited in space.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Third would be , as Burger and I keep telling you , a safety harness and rope tie off and swing down from the upstairs window.

That may be the best advice you've ever given here, Eric. \:D

-S. M. Stirling
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
How about a winder.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: rockytopper
Bski I'm not sure what rise and run you have. One way to fix the problem is to use the landing itself be part of the stair case and instead of just turning 90 deg you turn 180 deg with the stair case assuming you have the space to do this. Refer to this link of my floor plan http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9017&fpart=3
to see what I’m talking about. I also wanted to make the most of my square footage so the stair cases were limited in space.

Thanks for checking in, RockyT. A winder would be the next option if this one doesn't play out.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
When I'm comin' down, tho, it's a problem (not because I'm walking backward, JHAP).

I would have never suggested something that stupid. Here are more intelligent solutions:

Bilateral leg reduction.

Cut a "head clearance" notch in the cross beam.

Place a hard hat rack at the top and bottom of the stairs.

Forget what your mom said and always slouch when walking up the stairs.

At the appointed time for inpection I could give the inspector a personal tour of your property wearing only my neoprene brazillian cut cod piece. Fear and loathing goes a long way toward speeding up a home inspection.

Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
You'd trust any of these three around a brass pole?

Hey I earned $157.00 at the first Pond Boss due to the brass pole in the bar. Of course I was being paid in dollar bills to stay away from the pole but heck it all spends the same.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Brettski:

I think you have a clear direction with a contingency plan in place. I'd go the drop the landing with a winder back-up plan route.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Brettski:

I think you have a clear direction with a contingency plan in place. I'd go the drop the landing with a winder back-up plan route.

with JHAP and the codpiece a reluctant 3rd option.

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

At the appointed time for inpection I could give the inspector a personal tour of your property wearing only my neoprene brazillian cut cod piece. Fear and loathing goes a long way toward speeding up a home inspection.

I would send you back into the 5 jungle-like acres of Black Locust trees where all the woodpeckers reside. Once they got a good look at the tour guide, it would be like a remake of a Hitchcock thriller.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Easy Virtue? Skin Game? The Man Who Knew Too Much? Spellbound? Stage Fright? I Confess? The Wrong Man?

Last edited by jeffhasapond; 03/15/10 03:55 PM. Reason: There are a few I left off in fear of moderation.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We went to the project this weekend expecting the gnarly winter weather reprisal that had been predicted. I had the stairway reconstruction on top of the priority list. We were pleasantly surprised to find that we could work between the light raindrops and continue to work on the exterior....our prime focus for this spring. Since we had a week of dry weather leading into this weekend, it means the gishy mud had dried out somewhat and eased maneuvering around the perimeter of the building. We broke out the ladders and started work on the upstairs windows.
-
Sometime last summer, I kept my eyes glued to Craigslist for a scaffold plank. Not only did I find a great expandable aluminum plank, but the same guy had a pair of nice aluminum ladder jacks in his trunk. ;\) The price was right. I have never used either item before, so I was nervous as a cat on a tightrope. In the end, it was one of my best decisions.

-
-
There are a total of 11 windows on the second floor. Three of those are the 5' square picture windows that look out over the pond. As I type this, they remain uninstalled. Yep; took the easier road, but we did manage to get all 8 of the smaller windows installed. We are pretty pleased with the results of our weekend output.

-
-
Now that I am more familiar with the ladder/scaffold setup, I feel better equipped to mind-engineer how the 2 of us are going to handle the bigger windows. Heck, if the weather holds, we might take a shot this coming weekend.
Every time we get some inspiration, we try to share it. Having the ability to look out from our new perch was a very cool milestone.

-
-
Yeah...gotta get the big boys installed...gotta

B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
I have a feeling your progress will slow when you get the big windows in. I f the pond view is too distracting you might want to put the gorilla wrap back over them. So did you get the stairs resolved or are you saving that for later.

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Neat video. I like the ladder/scaffold setup. I had never seen those.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
I was unable to see the video, Was complaining of a invalid file sturcture.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks for the window walk around tour. Nice water btw. Any spring "look what I found" events to mention ?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Just remember that those large windows will act the same as a sheet of plywood in the breeze, but the consequences of dropping one is much greater! It might make it easier to get them up there if you can remove the glass and take those up there one at a time. Even take the glass up thru the house once the stairs are completed.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
For some reason these photos really put the size of this structure into perspective for me. Dang this place is HUGE. Thanks for continuously posting updates.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: blair5002
So did you get the stairs resolved or are you saving that for later.

Never touched the stairs. Not enough time. Each window takes almost 2 hours to install, including moving and adjusting the ladders and resetting the scaffold. It goes slow for me. I move much slower when I'm "hangin' out there".
-
WRT the stairway, we will drop the landing by one step and re-connect everything. The two upper 2 x 12 stringers will be scrapped as too short and replaced with stock that is one step longer. This is still pretty high on the priority list; Dski and I are both tired of climbing a ladder to get upstairs.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Any spring "look what I found" events to mention ?

Other than the 2 kids on thin ice a week ago and a brim full pond, nothing exceptional.
Trapper Joe collected 13 rats last fall. I don't know how the population is today.
Kinda funny, we are finally seeing the falling timber we hoped for in the shallow wetland. The turtles were lined up on the first log that landed out in about 3 feet of water. They have good taste; a cherry tree.

Page 16 of 45 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Zep - 04/25/24 10:36 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...