Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,783
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,505
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
4 members (Steve Clubb, FireIsHot, Augie, Bill Cody), 983 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 20 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 19 20
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
these are no simple questions really...in this case your pond is not a stagnant BOW, nor do you have simple flow through like i do (creek entering one end and departing the other).....you have upwelling groundwater (convection currents) which undoubtedly affect both formation of a thermocline and clarification.

OK, you guys win!!!! \:D

I'll tell you what I was really getting at, and to be sure it isn't specific to the quarry.

In Nebraska, a runoff event will bring silt into more stagnant systems (like earthen ponds), and as the silt settles, the single celled algae are the first to be able to ramp up photosynthesis because the sunlight penetrates sequentially deeper and deeper. For example; It rains three inches and the water becomes completely turbid. Virtually no sunlight penetration for 48 hours. Then the following 48 hours you have sunlight penetration of 6-18 inches. Then the 48 hours after that you have sunlight penetration of 18-24 inches, etc. etc. This sequential increase in sunlight penetration benefits organisms that can utilize the upper tier of the water column.

Therefore, in places like Nebraska where clay particles like to stay in suspension for extended periods of time, you have a marked increase in the ratio of non-rooted (single celled algae) to rooted (sago) plants.

So generally speaking, rainy springs tend to yield ponds with more filamentous and single celled algae during the summer and early fall, while dry springs tend to yield ponds with more submergent vegetation.

Make sense?

This equation however has little or no validity in watershed with heavy particulate runoff like sand, because it settles so quickly that there is not an extended advantage to plants that utilize the upper water column.

Last edited by Bruce Condello; 02/15/10 03:13 PM.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Makes perfect sense, and I see where things all tie together. Nice. I think you deserve all the points on this one for putting up with our rampant speculation!!!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
In its simplest form I agree with this by Bruce :

"In Nebraska, a runoff event will bring silt into more stagnant systems (like earthen ponds), and as the silt settles, the single celled algae are the first to be able to ramp up photosynthesis because the sunlight penetrates sequentially deeper and deeper."

Gravity at work absent some other energy source. An object in motion (toward the center of the earth by gravity) will continue in motion until confronted by a greater force. Thus the top settles out first absent some other factor. BTW clear water deep makes no difference if the sago is cut off from the sun (visible spectrum) by turbid water in the shallowest depth.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Makes perfect sense, and I see where things all tie together. Nice. I think you deserve all the points on this one for putting up with our rampant speculation!!!

bingo! \:D

now who's the bean counter? \:D \:D

another factor w/ clay size particles is ionic attraction. silt and sand settle, but gravity may have little to no affect on the clay depending on the water chemistry.

GSF are people too!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
..........So generally speaking, rainy springs tend to yield ponds with more filamentous and single celled algae during the summer and early fall, while dry springs tend to yield ponds with more submergent vegetation.

that is cool to think about....way to condense this. i seen it wit me own two eyes in my pond.

GSF are people too!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
DIED said "another factor w/ clay size particles is ionic attraction. silt and sand settle, but gravity may have little to no affect on the clay depending on the water chemistry. "

True but ionic attraction is a countering force as noted above and is thus accounted for in my comment. Plus % wise only a small amount of ponds (I would guess less than 15%)have long term clay turbidity. Bruce's sure doesn’t sound like one of them with all that limestone.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Todd3138

bingo! \:D

now who's the bean counter? \:D \:D

another factor w/ clay size particles is ionic attraction. silt and sand settle, but gravity may have little to no affect on the clay depending on the water chemistry.

DIED, I'm still gonna have to go with JHAP as our resident bean counter! I mean, he did make a big admission and all with that whole B&M employment comment and who am I to ignore it?

Very interesting point about the clay being charged. In reading the various threads here about people not being able to get clay to settle in their ponds, I've always kind of wondered why. Is it strictly/largely related to the charge of clay at the atomic level? Do other soils not have a charge of some sort, too, or is it just that clay is somewhat unique in how it is charged such that it reacts with the water?

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Am I correct in saying that ionically charged or "colloidal clay" are negatively charge clay particles that repel each other to a point that the repulsion exceeds the gravitation effects for extended periods of time?

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i was recalling that colloidal clay would be positively charged and remain in suspension by attraction to ionic compounds in the water (rather than by repulsion) but my water chemistry days were a LONG time ago, so take it w/ a grain of NaCL \:\)

GSF are people too!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: ewest
DIED said "another factor w/ clay size particles is ionic attraction. silt and sand settle, but gravity may have little to no affect on the clay depending on the water chemistry. "

True but ionic attraction is a countering force as noted above and is thus accounted for in my comment. Plus % wise only a small amount of ponds (I would guess less than 15%)have long term clay turbidity. Bruce's sure doesn’t sound like one of them with all that limestone.

agreed

i need a nap now.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
In Nebraska, a runoff event will bring silt into more stagnant systems (like earthen ponds), and as the silt settles, the single celled algae are the first to be able to ramp up photosynthesis because the sunlight penetrates sequentially deeper and deeper. For example; It rains three inches and the water becomes completely turbid. Virtually no sunlight penetration for 48 hours. Then the following 48 hours you have sunlight penetration of 6-18 inches. Then the 48 hours after that you have sunlight penetration of 18-24 inches, etc. etc. This sequential increase in sunlight penetration benefits organisms that can utilize the upper tier of the water column.

Here's a thought. Given the example above, after 48 hrs, does the 18-30 inch water colum have the same turbidity as the 6-18 water column? You're saying that the sunlight penetrates 6"-18". How do you know it wouldn't penetrate the same distance if the water between 18-30 inches were to be brought closer to the surface and had the same amount of sunlight available to it?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Esshup,

I will give you a real numbers tomorrow. I have sampling to do and can get water samples from different depths and test the turbidity of each.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Now THAT will be interesting!! Thanks Chris.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I seem to remember that the positively and negatively charged particles repel and bounce off each other to thus stay suspended. I think one is called an ion and the other a cacon.

But, that study is going back a ways and I may have things backwards. Or dead wrong.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
i was recalling that colloidal clay would be positively charged and remain in suspension by attraction to ionic compounds in the water (rather than by repulsion) but my water chemistry days were a LONG time ago, so take it w/ a grain of NaCL \:\)

That makes more sense than my initial answer.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
Esshup,

I will give you a real numbers tomorrow. I have sampling to do and can get water samples from different depths and test the turbidity of each.

Super-Cool!!! Youngblood will get some bonus points!! \:\) \:\) \:\)

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
so i had this dream last night, i was trapped/hiding in some woods somewhere, it was dark, and all around me was the chanting "a circle of light, a circle of light, a circle of light".....there was wizards, and little gremlin like dudes....

when i woke up i asked myself, what does it mean?

then i remembered this post:

Originally Posted By: ewest
Clear water - more light to the rooted plants. They reach their biological limit and use up the nutrients. Nothing for the plankton to consume – less plankton clearer water. A real circle of light. Then when the nutrients are used up the rooted plants die back. They start to decompose adding nutrients back for the plankton to grow again cutting off the light and less rooted plants.

please give eric all the points so i can get a good night sleep.

GSF are people too!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
so i had this dream last night, i was trapped/hiding in some woods somewhere, it was dark, and all around me was the chanting "a circle of light, a circle of light, a circle of light".....there was wizards, and little gremlin like dudes....

when i woke up i asked myself, what does it mean?

I have dreams like that after I eat tocos.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
This thread was viewed 150 times since I went to bed last night. If my guess is correct, 125 of those were DIED while he was dreaming.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I had a dream we were all trying to climb out of a rock quarry with loose limestone on steep sides. No one could get out and the water was rising fast. So I am giving all my points plus any DIED tried to give me back to DIED so we can complete the circle of light. \:o --

Last edited by ewest; 02/16/10 10:03 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
This thread was viewed 150 times since I went to bed last night. If my guess is correct, 125 of those were DIED while he was dreaming.

Sleep surfing!

Todd La Neve

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J

Finally, I have been promoted to a Wizard!!!

Wait a minute, I was a wizard and not a "little gremlin like dude" wasn't I?

DIED?

DIED?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Wizards never wonder. Does that answer your question?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
\:o \:o \:o

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
\:D -- \:D -- \:D -- ROFLOL

Page 11 of 20 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts