Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
DKFarms Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I am starting to experience what I hear is a fairly common problem. I am getting bank erosion on the prevailing wind side of my 1 acre pond. I tried hard from the beginning to make the bermuda grow down the sides to the water and I thought I had done a fairly good job but after 5 years, the little waves have worked their way behind the grass, destroying the sloped side, and now the bank is collapsing. I know it's a stretch but is there an inexpensive but aesthetically pleasing fix that anyone has used successfully? I don't particularly want to do old electric poles, cinder blocks, or sandbags if I can help it. I would be willing to spend a little money on a commercial erosion control product if I could install it myself and it didn't take away from the ambiance of the pond.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i am a rock fan, but that could be pricey.

there are all sorts of erosion mats and blankets one could use, some blend in better than others.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What was the slope of the pond bank before the erosion took place?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
dave had the same idea as I do. Rock will do the job and by looking at the pictures they would be easy to place. Often after a year or so the vegetation will cover the rocks and they will be almost hidden.
Same with the blankets they are made to let the grass get growing and hold the soil.

Otto

D
DKFarms Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
esshup, the original slope ended up being about 2.8 to 1. As you can see in picture, the erosion has created a little shelf or step. Otto, can blankets be purchased in narrow strips or would something large have to be cut manually? Where can I get something like that? Online research hasn't been successful in finding something that is manageable for a small project like this.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Search for GeoTextile Fabric. Brettski used some in his pond project, but they were the wider pieces.

I've also seen the fabric mats that had grass seed in them to help get grass started quickly on slopes. Don't remember where tho, sorry.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Some soils erode worse than others, but u got what u got when it comes to that. In my experience that step erosion is pretty common, but once it develops it stops eroding any further. The steps tends to act as a wave breaker unless the water level goes higher. From the photos, riprap placed on the step would be the easiest thing. You would have to backfill with clay @ the step to make the erosion mats look good now. In my area a kind of soil called limerock is used as a cheaper substitute for riprap in that situation, but this is somewhat local to West AL prairie soils. That step can serve as a shallow substrate fore aquatic plant growth and , when water levels are high, decent structure for holding bass; so don't be so quick to count it as a problem.

-HH

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: DKFarms
I am starting to experience what I hear is a fairly common problem. I am getting bank erosion on the prevailing wind side of my 1 acre pond. I tried hard from the beginning to make the bermuda grow down the sides to the water and I thought I had done a fairly good job but after 5 years, the little waves have worked their way behind the grass, destroying the sloped side, and now the bank is collapsing. I know it's a stretch but is there an inexpensive but aesthetically pleasing fix that anyone has used successfully? I don't particularly want to do old electric poles, cinder blocks, or sandbags if I can help it. I would be willing to spend a little money on a commercial erosion control product if I could install it myself and it didn't take away from the ambiance of the pond.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

My post on Emats may help.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=13172&Number=154903#Post154903

I found erosion mat by contacting someone who worked for the Nebraska Dept of Roads - they use a lot of it in order to protect exposed slopes following bridge/road construction. One can cut the strips as narrow as one needs - just staple it in place.

I personally think rock or riprap would provide a better solution and would also have the benefit of serving as habitat for YOY fish invertibrates and crayfish - but can get expensive in a hurry.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
We have the same step on a few areas of our pond, it does leave some shelter for crayfish & frogs, but muskrats also use it as a shelterd run eroding it much more.
I was thinking of using large field stone installed over landscape fabric to keep weeds out, then putting pea stone between grass & stone to make mowing easier. but need a way to stop the rats.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: pullo
We have the same step on a few areas of our pond, it does leave some shelter for crayfish & frogs, but muskrats also use it as a shelterd run eroding it much more.
I was thinking of using large field stone installed over landscape fabric to keep weeds out, then putting pea stone between grass & stone to make mowing easier. but need a way to stop the rats.

Chain link fencing laid down could keep out the rats?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
I have read where someone suggested this, I just thought laying it down the rats could still get under because our pond has a gradual slope.
I thought of digging a trench then putting the fence down about 18 inches, but thats tough! digging in clay!

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
The mats come in four or eight feet wide rolls.

otto

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Google "Turf Reinforcement Mats" TRM's are probably the cheapest and easiest to install.

Rock over geotextile will probably last the longest

Sheet piling is another good option and there are some DIY products out there for a reasonable cost but probably it's the most labor intensive option.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
otto my pond has a shallow slope extending out 7 feet then it drops off. I have seen the rats create a channel that starts at the drop off then all the way to the shore. when the algae is present you can't see him use it! Plus i'm afraid the fence will interupt spawning. in the spring the shallows are full of BG & LMB beds

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
This not a suggestion just an option. The problem we are looking at in the pictures will be hard to improve on. The vegetation that has the bank covered is exactly what we would try to get after the bank is fixed. Rip rap is the only thing that you can use that will not involve a lot of prep work.

D
DKFarms Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Thanks for all the ideas. I think some form of rip rap, probably broken concrete, will be my best bet for longevity. Rock would be pretty but every rock you see in my part of the country is imported, and imported is another word for "expensive". I just don't want to tear the place up again handling that heavy stuff after I've spent 5 years trying to make it look nice. I'll ponder till spring and maybe the problem will go away. \:\)

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
DKFarms

I like your thinking. Especially the ponder till spring.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 02/18/10 06:14 AM.
R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R

I have a similar bank and most of my initial weed growth occurred in the water, which I think reduced the erosion a great deal. My banks are a little steeper than yours and are stepped in two, 1 meter increments and the weeds seem to be doing well in that first 1 meter depth.

For the most part the weeds act as a poor mans rip rap.

If the erosion is caused by wave action and/or run off the problem may solve its self, if from ground water rock rip rap maybe the answer.

One question has the water level been low enough for you to see the extend of dam,age?

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
D
DKFarms Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Rad, there is no specific dam site on the pond. The pond is 1 acre kidney shaped and has a levee surrounding it. No watershed water gets in the pond. Only well and rain water. The water level in the picture is as high as it gets because the bottom-fed overflow keeps it there. I have the water well to keep it topped off and I never let the water level get more than 5 inches below overflow. As for the grass, I was really proud of myself for all the effort it took to train the bermuda to grow down the sides to the water. I thought for sure I had the erosion problem prevented so you can imagine how sick I was when I the first signs of erosion.

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
DKFarms,
dam,age was a typo I was trying for damage, wondering if you had seen the extend of it. It could be in the 5 inches between low water and grass line. If so maybe you can train the Bermuda to cover that area then bring the water level back up.

The reason I offer that up is because I lived on a pond that had St Augustine that grew into the water and there was no erosion.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: DKFarms
Thanks for all the ideas. I think some form of rip rap, probably broken concrete, will be my best bet for longevity. Rock would be pretty but every rock you see in my part of the country is imported, and imported is another word for "expensive". I just don't want to tear the place up again handling that heavy stuff after I've spent 5 years trying to make it look nice. I'll ponder till spring and maybe the problem will go away. \:\)

I want to repair the erosion on my pond also. I think stones or rip rap would be the best solution for me but I've been hearing that the stones eventually slide into the pond and over the years more stone will be needed. I don't know if this is true or how to get around that. I'll be pumping my pond out soon for renovation.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
T
T
Vetiver grass can help stop further collapsing of a pond bank. Vetiver grass is a tropical grass originate in India and south east Asia. This grass has a very strong root system. And can grow in a wide range of climatic condition from minus 15 degree to 50 degree Celcius. Virtually It can be grown in every condition.

Taweesak
J
Online Content
J
Originally Posted By: Taweesak
Vetiver grass can help stop further collapsing of a pond bank. Vetiver grass is a tropical grass originate in India and south east Asia. This grass has a very strong root system. And can grow in a wide range of climatic condition from minus 15 degree to 50 degree Celcius. Virtually It can be grown in every condition.

I would be wary of introducting a non-native grass to the area.

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Over time, nature will give a pond bank the required slope.

J
Online Content
J
Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry
Over time, nature will give a pond bank the required slope.

That is not quite true. If it is directly the dominant wind direction, it will be keep eating away. This creates a shallow shelf over time and fills the pond with silt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images