Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,811
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
5 members (Rick O, Theo Gallus, Bill Cody, FishinRod, Sunil), 1,131 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

Low water + low inorganic sediment inflow (drought) = increased sunlight penetration to bottom substrate.

Increased sunlight penetration to substrate means ideal conditions for submergent vegetation.

Significant growth of agressive submergent vegetation means decreased available nutrients available for single celled algae.

But, nutrients don't have to be limited to what's in sediment. Nutrients can be dissolved in water as well - look at hydrophonics.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Omaha
Oo, oo, increased!

Which does what for the sago? (Helps or hurts)

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Oo, oo, increased!

Helps, but only in the short term right? Eventually they kill themselves off by their overabundance, taking all that your lake has.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

That depends on what the goal for Sago is. Like Eric said it helps the Sago grow short term, but hurts the long term growth.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bruce:

With the influx of groundwater, limited available nutrients, and relatively shallow overall pond depth, how will a photoplankton bloom stay established to minimize excessive submerged weed growth?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
oh, and following on my question from last night, forget all those guys i wondered where they are (and anybody i forgot...like cecil, etc....) this quiz dont need em....TODD and ESSHUP you guys are doing a GREAT JOB \:\)

Why, thank you, DIED! \:\) I appreciate the compliment, especially since I feel like I'm taking random shots in the dark here! I feel sorta like Dustin Hoffman as Rainman - a bit of an idiot savante, though with the greater emphasis on idiot!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: Todd3138
oh, and following on my question from last night, forget all those guys i wondered where they are (and anybody i forgot...like cecil, etc....) this quiz dont need em....TODD and ESSHUP you guys are doing a GREAT JOB \:\)

Why, thank you, DIED! \:\) I appreciate the compliment, especially since I feel like I'm taking random shots in the dark here! I feel sorta like Dustin Hoffman as Rainman - a bit of an idiot savante, though with the greater emphasis on idiot!

See, I've been going with the saying "Better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt".

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I feel sorta like Dustin Hoffman as Rainman - a bit of an idiot savante, though with the greater emphasis on idiot!

Fair warning. I may feel the need to use that quote at some point in the future.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
so yer saying its all about the turbidity?

...or lack thereof.

Low water + low inorganic sediment inflow (drought) = increased sunlight penetration to bottom substrate.

Increased sunlight penetration to substrate means ideal conditions for submergent vegetation.

Significant growth of agressive submergent vegetation means decreased available nutrients available for single celled algae.

Decreased amount of single celled algae means \:DIncreased clarity. (increased or decreased)

Fill in the blank.

Sorry I've been absent for a bit - just finished a phone conference, but I'm back in the game now!

Well, even though you may have inadvertently answered this one yourself, I think I even would have figured out that this condition would lead to increased water clarity. Less nutrients available would definitely reduce algae's ability to grow/thrive from what I've learned over the past several months on the forum, which is why we strive to have the right balance in our ponds. Enough nutrients, we get a healthy bloom; not enough, you get increased clarity and greater light penetration and plant growth to deeper depths. I think I hit on the turbidity point a little earlier today, so it seems to make sense as things are all coming together, or at least I think so!

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
When an agressive rooted plant like sago gets off to a quick start, it will literally consume all of the nutrients. What does this do to the single celled algae?

No food = you die. So you're saying that a more complex organism such as sago as compared to single celled algea is more effecient and better at utilizing nutrients, or are you saying that there are more nutrients in the pond substrate vs. dissolved in the water?

I'm catching up here, folks - looks like a handful of posts occurred while I was away from my computer. Esshup, I am taking this to be exactly what Bruce is saying if I am correctly understanding the line of questions here. The nutrients would be largely contained in the soil/substrate and would really foster good growth of the Sago. The nutrients still in the water, because there would have to be some still there, are probably also getting used up by the plants as they flourish.

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Oo, oo, increased!

Helps.

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Oo, oo, increased!

Helps, but only in the short term right? Eventually they kill themselves off by their overabundance, taking all that your lake has.

Definitely helps. It's a vicious cycle. Sago doesn't wax and wane like some emergents throughout the year. You can get a good bloom that lasts 6-7 months.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Bruce:

With the influx of groundwater, limited available nutrients, and relatively shallow overall pond depth, how will a photoplankton bloom stay established to minimize excessive submerged weed growth?

I'm thinking the regular influx of groundwater will aid by adding nutrients to the water on a fairly consistent basis and maybe that would be enough to sustain a bloom PROVIDED the right stuff is being washed into the lake. At some point, it makes sense that if there wasn't fertilizer or other reasonably rich sources of nutrient being carried in, the lake owners might have to add something, i.e., fertilizer, to get/keep the bloom going.

Is that at all a reasonable interpretation?

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

That depends on what the goal for Sago is. Like Eric said it helps the Sago grow short term, but hurts the long term growth.

The goal for sago is to live year to year. Once sago uses up all the nutrients it doesn't die...it just stops growing...and waiting and lurking to steal each addition bit of nitrogen and phosphorous that re-enters the system, inluding the phosphorous and nitrogen that enter the system through the death of it's own brethren. Generally if sago gets off to a terrific start it will be embedded until you get some serious cold weather, usually 1st of November in Nebraska.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker

See, I've been going with the saying "Better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt".

A theory to which I readily subscribe, my friend! \:\) (I've even used that with a client or two in my time - sometimes they even understand my point!) However, on this one, I've decided to wade right in and just let all my inhibitions go! No issues of personal pride here, baby!

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bruce:

Ideally you have just enough turbidity to limit sago's fast start. That way you can get some single celled algae to use nutrients and limit light penetration for the rest of the year. In 2009 I never saw a single stalk of sago. The water was deeper from recent (last three years) rainfall, and was also getting some light turbidity from early spring rains. The sago got off to a poor start then got outcompeted by the single celled algae. Another vicious cycle. \:\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
I feel sorta like Dustin Hoffman as Rainman - a bit of an idiot savante, though with the greater emphasis on idiot!

Fair warning. I may feel the need to use that quote at some point in the future.

Understood!

Todd La Neve

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
sago is rhizome based i think, and doesnt like water depths >10 feet....so if a prolonged wet cycle kept the water levels up (via groundwater) wouldnt the rhizomes eventually rot out? sounds like in yer pond the rhizomes survived long enough for that next drought cycle.

any more non-geology questions.......i'm toast.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
When an agressive rooted plant like sago gets off to a quick start, it will literally consume all of the nutrients. What does this do to the single celled algae?

No food = you die. So you're saying that a more complex organism such as sago as compared to single celled algea is more effecient and better at utilizing nutrients, or are you saying that there are more nutrients in the pond substrate vs. dissolved in the water?

I'm catching up here, folks - looks like a handful of posts occurred while I was away from my computer. Esshup, I am taking this to be exactly what Bruce is saying if I am correctly understanding the line of questions here. The nutrients would be largely contained in the soil/substrate and would really foster good growth of the Sago. The nutrients still in the water, because there would have to be some still there, are probably also getting used up by the plants as they flourish.

I think there's a slight overemphasis on the importance of nutrients to start the bloom. There are always enough nutrients in this part of the country. Some of you folks live in areas where the BOW's are chronically deficient, but not here. It's really all about who gets the sun first! Why can't you grow bluegrass in a pine forest? (rhetorical question)

Last edited by Bruce Condello; 02/15/10 11:59 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
sago is rhizome based i think, and doesnt like water depths >10 feet....so if a prolonged wet cycle kept the water levels up (via groundwater) wouldnt the rhizomes eventually rot out? sounds like in yer pond the rhizomes survived long enough for that next drought cycle.

Beautiful! I was waiting for that one. At some point every plant gets out of it's comfort zone. Anybody ever see a cattail growing out of 15 feet of water? \:D

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker

I'm not buying that rubbish, DIED! You just used "rhizome" in a coherent and appropriately contextual sentence! You're sandbagging, methinks!

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Ideally you have just enough turbidity to limit sago's fast start. That way you can get some single celled algae to use nutrients and limit light penetration for the rest of the year. In 2009 I never saw a single stalk of sago. The water was deeper from recent (last three years) rainfall, and was also getting some light turbidity from early spring rains. The sago got off to a poor start then got outcompeted by the single celled algae. Another vicious cycle. \:\)

I wonder if you will have more problems with Sago as time progresses. If you are the last house (in the foreseeable future) to be built on the surrounding land, there will be less bare ground exposed due to construction. As time goes on, there will be less and less surface run-off into the pond as the vegetation grows surrounding the pond. Which possibly means that there would be less suspended sediment washed into the pond, but not a reduction in dissolved nutrients (from the lawns). Same nutrient load (or increased nutrient load due to more fish in the pond as time goes on) and possibly increased water clarity unless the photoplankton gets a jump on the Sago in the Spring.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Why can't you grow bluegrass in a pine forest? (rhetorical question)[/color][/font]

Great and simple illustration of this whole line of logic, Bruce. Thanks - makes a lot of this much more clear (kinda like your water!).

Todd La Neve

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
the sum of the parts has tickled this question to death.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bruce:

I may be answering my own question here, but have you seen a problem with FA in the pond? (at any time of the year) If not, could it be the Sago assimilating the nutrients before the FA got a foothold?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 06:16 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?