Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,972
Posts558,079
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,556
ewest 21,500
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
2 members (H20fwler, Boondoggle), 616 guests, and 193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Check this out! Here is why GSF are so fun to catch. Fishing for bass I had this bad boy nail my 4 inch jerkbait. That's right 4 inch! This guy here was right at 8.5 inches going on 12 I think with the way he hit this lure! Ya gotta love that kin dof attitude no matter how you look at it if you like to fish!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
excellent post rc!

yer lure reminds me of my horn worms. you familiar w/ horn worms? they get big (up to 5-6-inches) and green and love tomato plants. in the summer i collect them off our plants and throw them in the pond.....the gsf inhale them whole!

GSF are people too!

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Dave no I have never heard of horn worms... Sound kind of like a night crawler to me except night crawlers aren't really green. I bet they love them! Keep feeding them 5 or 6 inch worms and you are bound to have some big GSF for sure! I bought some smaller worms one day and did not get one bite! I couldn't believe it??? I guess my fish have not seen worms in so long they don't know if they should eat it or not. \:\) One day this May I had about 12 or 13 daddy longlegs in the boat with me and I threw them all over into the water and when I got about 12 feet away the water just went nuts with GSF eating them right off the top. If was awesome!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D

Last edited by dave in el dorado ca; 02/11/10 01:38 PM.

GSF are people too!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Tomato horn worms are one of the devil's curses on the southeast.
When I see what they have done to my tomato plants, I dont think to let them live long enough to become fish food.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Wow looks more like a catapeller instead of a worm! Cool! They look real juicy I bet they love em!

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Burger,

Scatter some buckwheat seeds throughout your tomato patch. It's really easy to grow, and attracts predatory wasps like nothing else. The wasps are timy, but they sure put a hurt on the caterpillers, even pretty big ones.

I didn't believe it either, and scoffed loudly......another "I told you so" moment for my wife.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Thanks for the tip. Yolkie!

RC51, are you sure you're from Arkansas? They are all worms in the south. \:D Ever heard of a catalpa worm?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
RC, yep they are Caterpillars. They get about 3 to 4 inches long and as big around as my little finger.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
burger,

Hey no actually I am not from Arkansas I was born and rasied in Wisconsin. Sorry I guess I don't know everyting down here yet \:\) I wonder if I have any of those on my land? I will look better this spring.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Planting some really nice tomato plants is a good way to collect them.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
DD
Try this for your Tomato Hornworm control.

Natural Control: Birds, parasitic wasps, and braconid wasps attack the worms. Trichogramma wasps attack the eggs. Skunks.

Organic Control: Hand-pick caterpillars. Spray Bacillus thuringiensis products as a last resort only. Release lady beetles and lacewings to attack eggs.

From the Howard Garrett web site the wasps and lady betteles have worked as a control for me.

Asterperious
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: RC51
Check this out! Here is why GSF are so fun to catch. Fishing for bass I had this bad boy nail my 4 inch jerkbait. That's right 4 inch! This guy here was right at 8.5 inches going on 12 I think with the way he hit this lure! Ya gotta love that kin dof attitude no matter how you look at it if you like to fish!

It is fund to experience the strike of a good sized GSF. I've caught them on all types of lures - 6 inch lizard soft lures, 3 inch flipping tubes. GSF have serious attitude.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Uh Oh! Here we go! Next thing you know, there will be GSA flyers falling from the sky.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Tomato horn worms are one of the devil's curses on the southeast.
When I see what they have done to my tomato plants, I dont think to let them live long enough to become fish food.

You got that right.

Last summer I found a tomato plant with a bunch of missing leaves, and found a huge tomato worm looking very guilty. I grabbed him by the neck and said through clenched teeth: "Spit it out!". That's hard to do, his neck was very short.

Hey, tomato plants are a little poisonous; only certain insect larva can eat them. Don't know if they're poisonous enough to hurt fish.

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
GSF are fun to catch, I go down to the river below a dam & catch them all day long on a mepps spinner, Thay hit like a bass!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
bobad, i've observed no harm to the gsf from tomato fed horn worms, however, we also have datura plants every summer that the horn worms love (for those that dont know datura was made famous by carlos castenada, who outlined how the yaqui indians used it for "out of body" experiences). you think sober gsf are fun to catch? catch them while they are stoned on datura...holy cow....

GSF are people too!

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
\:\) \:\) Now that was funny Dave! Gotta love it!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
A stoned GSF. That's scary.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Tomato horn worms and GSF in the same thread, O the irony. Little eatin machines. If you are the only person around growing maters they can be controlled. Since I try to have an organic garden to avoid feeding my family pesticides, or mater powder, I hand pick them. The vector control guys did a night spray over for skeeters when I was out smokin my cigar. So I guess organic was out the window anyway.

Interesting critters, as they can really eat a lot of plant. But there are a lot of tell tale signs. First stub and stems where leaves used to be. Then little segmented green poops. The bigger they get, the bigger the worm. Green juice drops everywhere. They seem to only eat maters if they are in their way. If you look long enough you will spot them, just follow the trail of destruction and look for the freshest poops. Fresh ones are wet and bright green. When I was a kid I'd catch the biggest ones and feed them to my desert tortoise, yum, yum. A real treat for it. Would bypass all of its veggies just to much them. My chickens inhaled them, not as much entertainment. Except if two fought over one and ripped it apart.

Best way to get them gone is dig around your old plants and compost. When you find the large brown cocoon looking thing, that is what the moth comes from. Either destroy it or leave it for kids to watch it hatch. Then destroy it. Big moths, maybe 4" long, bigger than a GSF. Last year I had zero on 8 different varieties. But they can be a real serious crop damage problem. You can get an overabundance of them, dare I say...just like GSF. How fun.

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 02/12/10 10:26 AM.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I think remember reading somewhere that they and the catalpa worm, renouned as catfish and bluegill bait, are both from species of Sphinx moths.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tbar
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by H20fwler - 05/01/24 12:17 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by FishinRod - 04/30/24 09:50 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/30/24 09:31 PM
New pond stocking
by Knobber - 04/30/24 09:26 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 04/30/24 05:07 PM
Fish food
by LANGSTER - 04/30/24 03:11 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by ghdmd - 04/30/24 11:41 AM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by Boondoggle - 04/30/24 11:32 AM
Frustrated
by Snipe - 04/30/24 10:53 AM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/30/24 07:56 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday