Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,093
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
19 members (azteca, jpsdad, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, esshup, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7), 743 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
Lunker
Lunker
Very long thread here and after reading the whole thing last night I am a bit confused and not able to really draw a conclusion. Is it possible that everyone that has tried the DB-100, DB-110, and DB-200 could summarize their applications and the results they got? Maybe start a new thread dedicated to the experiences with this product?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Well since putting in DB110 saturday, pond has went down 2 inches.I hope its finds the seepage soon or my fish will die this winter.....I have went from 5 feet deep to about 3 1/2 since last heavy rain. Need Rain! Need DB110 to work!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Beespringky- That's definately some quick seepage but with time hopefully it will get better! This is my ponds second season now and it is definately getting better with time. My pond is down about 7-8 inches from where it normally would be right now but if you look at rainfall totals it's been well over a month in our region since we've had a measurable amount of rain so I don't feel like that's too bad. There is no doubt now that the rain has stopped that my pond still seeps a little more than it should but it's getting closer to an acceptable level. I also have to factor in that i'm running a floating fountain in the middle now that shoots an 18 ft geiser up into the air. On windy days I can literally watch water fan out and scatter out into the sky of evaporation...that has to start adding up to gallons at some point?? Keep updating posts as it's good to hear from some locals since it's easier to compare apples to apples that way.

P
Fingerling
Fingerling
P
Put DB 110 in my pond last week. 3 gallon on Saturday and 3 more on Sunday. Pond had been dropping about 1/2" to 3/4" a day. Since putting DB 110 in it has only dropped 1/4" in a week!!!!

Last edited by Pondgoat; 11/27/09 05:12 PM.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Pondgoat- That's a good report! Best i've heard yet! I used to live up in Erlanger KY so i'm very familiar with that area and soil up there. Can you give us some more information on your pond ie. how old is it? what else have you tried in past? any organic load added with it etc? I'm about to treat mine again with db-200 this time and add some saw dust with it just as an experiment. It's bound to start raining sometime soon and I don't want to watch it soak back into the earth!

P
Fingerling
Fingerling
P
belkins456-Had pond cleaned out 3 summers ago and they found a small leak then. It filled over winter and still had a leak. They fixed that one and yet another show up, it just kept moving to next spot. They came back again and dug out a big rock ledge and it had a major leak. It was about the size of a fire hose. I thought it was finally fixed but over winter it filled again and it still leaked. This spring I had the whole dam re-cored with a track hoe and compacted when done this time by different person they found it still leaking from the rock. We figured it was fixed for sure this time but no. He came back to the spot the rock was and dug again, another leak was found getting into the rock ledge about a month ago. It filled up about 1 1/2' a few days after he came from heavy rains and it had slowed to about 1/2" to 3/4" a day from the 1 1/2" to 2" a day. Instead of more digging I found pond seal on the Internet and gave it a try. I put 3 gallons on banks on Saturday and Sunday put 3 gallons in the water on the side the rock ledge is on. Since then the water has only dropped 1/4". I was told when the water level reaches the top to apply it again to the water to seal any leaks that may be higher and from spraying the banks may not have gotten.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Pondgoat----Thanks for the info...How big is the pond?

When was it first built? How tall is the dam?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Well my pond still leaking at same rate..gonna put more in this weekend as a last ditch effort..If this doesn't work I'm done til spring and I find a contractor to fix it right

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Don't give up hope. This weekend may get it fixed.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Well my opinion....DB-100..DB-110 does not work.Have applied 3 times and see no improvement at all.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Freakin read War and Peace faster than this thread. And what did I get out of it? The stuff does not work. I have to find some type of sealant. I'm not going bentonite, too many disaster stories. The old liner degraded, got brittle and just fell apart, so liner is out. Shotcrete/gunite too expensive, still can leak if not sealed. I don't like this unscientific approach, throw it in, hope it works. I can split my pond in two, which is the way to go as I always will have a drawdown pond just in case nothing works. But I want before and after measurements and a treated and nontreated pond. Side by side in the same shell. I would try the treat when dry method but I would not know what the heck I accomplished like that. I'm going to compact and measure loss, keep logs. Both ponds. Then I will either try treating one pond and save the other for control or drain both and apply empty. Just to one pond.

I don't care if product is much cheaper if it does not work. I'll pay for the ESS 13 if I have to. If I have side by side testing i should have close to exact seepage and evaporation. I'll also compact them exactly the same. I'll move water between the ponds if I have to. At least I will prove to myself what actually does anything instead of reading 14 pages and learning nothing.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I disagree froggy, you read 14 pages of insightful real world experiences by pond addicts who would just about sell their first born to get their pond sealed. ( of course if we sold our first born we could probably afford to fix it right).
It was a learning experience that we paid for.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: The Pond Frog
Freakin read War and Peace faster than this thread. And what did I get out of it? The stuff does not work.

At least I will prove to myself what actually does anything instead of reading 14 pages and learning nothing.

You having a bad day or something PF?

The posts in this thread are from real people having real pond problems and trying to solve their pond problems. This isn't "nothing" to them. People are sharing their pond problems, the corrective action they've taken and the results of that corrective action.

THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS FORUM!!!

So what if it's 14 pages, so what if its 114 pages. No one is forcing you to read any thread here. If don't like a thread then don't read it. But don't belittle a thread and all of the people that have contributed to it by stating that you learned nothing from reading their experiences.

We're a community that strives to help people. Play nice or play somewhere else.

If I were a moderator your comments would be gone by now. Fortunately for you I'm not.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I deserved to be caned. Thank you sir may I have another. I am just frustrated as another person asked, can I have the cliff notes: works, does not work, sort of works. That's all. I might make 3 ponds, one a control pond, one DB 110 one ESS 13. Good stuff was rigs to apply it.

I don't want to buy a shrink wrapped box that is supposed to have a dvd player in it but has a big rock if someone else already has.

My most humble apologies for not appreciating the feedback.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
While pond frog kinda sounded like a big mouth frog I can relate to his frustration. I find my head spinning after reading this thread. My conclusion " and I've appealed to Otto in a different thread for his updated thoughts" is that nothing works except sometimes something works somewhat.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I'll try to put my experiences with db-100 into a short evaluation.
"It might work but it all depends". It did slow the leakage in my dam but did not stop it, which could be the result of the poor soil type we have and the amount of leakage.
The product might have merit in certain types of ponds with slow seepage, and also in higher doses than recommended.

This is only my opinion.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 02/09/10 07:11 PM.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Hey guys...haven't been on in awhile.Pond Frog got a little antsy reading. lol. To clarify my previous posts, db100 did not work even a little for me. As Adirondack has stated, it might work for someone else and not me because of the makeup of my particular soil. Sucks for me, but alas if I had done more research, hired a more knowledgeable contractor, etc. I wouldn't even be aware of this website or the knowledge of the people within because I wouldn't have been trying to find answers on the web.So in short even though your pond has problems, here you find your not alone, have someone always willing to listen, and have access to considerable knowledge.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
The comfort of having company in fellow PB members who have gone thru or, are going thru this attracted me. The thread was long when I found it last July! I read it like a crazyman. There is or was a "hope syndrome" thing going on.

I still check this tread. I agree with AP except that to know if DB helped, I will need to "experience" my pond in a summer dryspell.

A seeping or leaking pond is certainly better than no pond at all!

Happy unusual winter to all.

PondBoss magazine subscriber
Don't text while driving!
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Good point a leaking pond is better that no pond at all.--There are a lot of us in this togather.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Well... I pretty much gave up on finding the magic leak stop. After talking to Bob, my approach for this year was to control the leaking water and route it where I wanted it by using a toe trench. I was on my 5th phone call setting up estimates when I ran across an old landscaper. After a brief discussion about the job he asked me why I was going to waste so much money on the toe trench when I could simply stop the leak. I then explained about all the 'magic' solutions I've tried and asked him how to stop the leak. He said the solution was hydrated lime and he had used it with success in more than 40 ponds. Most of which didn't have fish prior to the lime application and those that did...well it killed all the fish but fixed the leak.

Now I've learned from this site that hydrated lime will increase the PH and will kill fish. But couldn't it also have an effect on the charge of the soil? I've wondered if somehow that maybe the soil that I'm dealing with is charged and repels the small particles which keep it from sealing. If clay can become polarized in the water can't the same thing occur in the soil?

Would I just be wasting more money by trying the hydrated lime and closely monitoring my PH?

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
I deserved to be caned. Thank you sir may I have another. I am just frustrated as another person asked, can I have the cliff notes: works, does not work, sort of works. That's all. I might make 3 ponds, one a control pond, one DB 110 one ESS 13. Good stuff was rigs to apply it.

I don't want to buy a shrink wrapped box that is supposed to have a dvd player in it but has a big rock if someone else already has.

My most humble apologies for not appreciating the feedback.

A caning is in order - you missed the allusion altogether....that thread was far more like reading The Brothers Karamazov.

sigh

Leak treatment product reviews would be an valuable resource on the website. I have a leak I'll need to attend to this Spring - I'll continue to read on. It's a long thread, but I like seeing how things evolve...I just hope someone can report a successful story soon.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
So Cheezy, please tell us more of the 40 ponds fixed with hydrated lime. Were there any big leakers or mostly seapers? What kind of soil in them? Terrain rocky? Etc.

Also is there a statistic of how may ponds he tried it in and it did not work?

Clearly if he was successful 100 percent of the time with hydrated lime, then it is worth it to move the fish during the fix, assuming that a short time afterward, conditions could efficiently and cost effectively be returned to properly sustain life for fish.

PondBoss magazine subscriber
Don't text while driving!
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
TELL ME MORE----
CALL ANYTIME DAY OR NIGHT---
IF THIS WORKS WE WILL ALL BE RICH---

800-882 DIRT(3478) OFFICE
940-736-5333 CELL

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
From what I recall from my conversation with him, it only worked on seapers and I didn't ask about soil types. He did say that it was pretty much 100% successful. The application rate was pretty high at about 50lbs per 3ft x 3ft area and results were seen within a week. I asked him if he had heard of this site (he said no) and then I tried to explain that if this really did work, allot of people would be happy. I will call him tomorrow and see if he would join the forum or mind if I give out his contact information. Would be much better than me trying to play the middle man.

I'm really interested to see if using a lower application rate over time would have the same affect. Of course the PH would have to be closely monitored.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Your can sure give give him any info on me or tell me how to get hold of him.

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13