Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,084
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE, Requa, Jason D, Jared015), 756 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#203694 02/11/10 06:23 PM
D
DocFish Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Ok I am working with Greg too start a crappie pond in a 3/4 acre pond I have we are starting the project together as an experiment. I know there is a lot of info against crappie stocking but I want to prove that scientifically thiscan be done with success.
I am going to start with a good areator tons of Golden shiners and G minnows and about 200 crapie (black) . I thought about the Hy Tech spec (hybrid )crappie but not sure about this fish anyone have any experience with them?
Im going to use a few huge LMB out of my larger pond and Hybrid stripers as predators.
The pond has a lot of aquatic plants so im also going to add som grass carp .
Ive already been in my workshop buildind some nice structure to sink and hopefully all goes well.

Last edited by DocFish; 02/11/10 06:23 PM.

DocFish
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Keep us posted Doc, I've wanted to try myself but have only heard bad about a crappie pond. I'd like to have one.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
With Greg helping I'll be putting my money on ya'll making it work.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
You can't fool mother nature but for a while you may be able to out manage her. Read the crappie threads here for a better chance. Let us know what is going on as it happens. Collectively we may have a better chance.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I'd make sure the LMB you stock are all one sex to prevent them from reproducing and add a few new ones each year to make up for mortality. Get the vegetation cut back a bit and manually remove as many crappie as you can yourself and I can see you growing some very nice crappies.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I wouldn't worry about overpopulation. A 3/4 acre pond is very easy to fish out.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I agree Bobad and wonder if all the extra management effort is worth a few nice Crappie a year. Sure could be to some people. I do think keeping a balanced (good condition) population of crappie , LMB and HSB and forage might be a real test of our collective abilities.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
If yall and doc want I can post my rec. here. Ideally I would stock the forage first then crappie then hsb instead we are doing it all together. I think he is willing to try this knowing it is experimental.

I may try to talk him out of any lmb unless like Cj says we sex them 100% to be female. I think we can control the crappie repro with hsb.

My questiosn is with a forage base of golden shiners and fathead minnows and a feeder for hsb do you think that will yield good crappie growth or do you think adding bluegil is a good idea? I got my opinion and want to hear yours.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Greg have you seen the SEP info on their success with this approach. Might want to call Jeff. They use FH , TShad , crappie and HSB. IMO you will need to use several approaches at different times to adjust the plan to what is happing in the water. There are too many variables for any one size fits all plan to work. I would hold off on the BG at first. You may need to limit feeding during the period just before the crappie spawn and for several mths after to force the HSB and GShiners to go after the crappie.

Last edited by ewest; 02/12/10 09:49 AM.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Yes Eric I remember the talk at PB conf and spoke with slipke about it. POnd is small and shallow so bad combo for tshad as you know so that is out. That was my thinking on adding bluegill later if deemed neccesary. Good call on no feed after crappie spawn. thanks

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I don't think BG will be much if any benefit for you. In fact I believe it will only add another variable to the equation for you to ponder down the road when trying to decide if this is a good formula or not. I agree about Tshad not working in a pond that size, so would stick with FHM and GSH for forage. I don't think there is any way around having to add more forage at times down the road and would expect to have to do a lot more population evaluating in this kind of set up vs. a BG/LMB pond. The only self-regulating crappie ponds that I have seen on a regular basis have been deep borrow pit type ponds that the river floods in every few years or so.

-HH

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I also thought we were told at the PB conference not to put HSB in any pond smaller than 3 acres? Or did I hear that wrong? I know this is an expeirment but isn't that what the gentleman said at the PBC?

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 #203837 02/12/10 05:36 PM
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
When we are talking about a small pond, good or bad there will not be much lost. Lets try it.

Otto

otto #203846 02/12/10 06:29 PM
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I believe you heard that wrong.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
otto #203856 02/12/10 07:37 PM
D
DocFish Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
That is exactly how I feel about the situation. I have a larger pond that is the prototypical LMB BG etc fishery.
I got cabin fever so bad this year with the winter weather that I said what the heck . I went to Lake Lanier with a local guide (Doug Younblood ) yesterday and we nailed 70 black crappie in 3 and 1/2 hours. They were still biting when we left. Water temp. was 43 45.5 by noon. I said man if only I could do this in my front yard! Thus the crappie pond ideaa. I am willing to work with greg and spend my "monthly" allowance on the experiment! Besides I am a doc my whole life is an experiment. I like trend setting so I am going for it. Worse case scenario,.. we drain the pond and start over. Best case scenario I have a productive crappie fishery and my own data on starting one ;)!
ill get you all some pics soon. It snowed in Alanta tday and I got some beautiful pics to share, ill also show you the pond.

Thanx for all the wisdom guys!

DocFish
D
DocFish Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
[img][/img]

DocFish
D
DocFish Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D

THE CRAPPIE EXPERIMENTAL POND

DocFish
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Beautiful ponds! I am interested to see the results.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Could you plan on dumping fifty pounds of forage each month

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Hey Doc, is this a "practice"?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Go for it ! We will help as much as we can.

HSB can do ok in small ponds. TShad sometimes will not work in small ponds and that is why Greg's thought was to replace them with GShiners. The guy you heard was from SEP which is doing the expirment we were talking about with success. They are using TShad so they may well have said not to try their approach in small ponds with HSB and TShad. That is because of the TShad not the HSB.

Last edited by ewest; 02/13/10 09:05 AM.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Very interested in seeing how this goes too.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Hey Doc

Great project - am excited to see the results. I also started a Hybrid crappie project last year - using Magnolia Crappie - BCxWC hybrid - and stocked 150 3-4" with abundant GSH and FH forage base and a 12 6" HSB in a .2 ac pond so the negative impact is minimal should the Crappie overpopluate. Magnolia Crappie offspring are reportedly very inferior and their population is theorhetically easily controlled. I don't have any data to report from my experiment yet, but wanted you to know we seem to share goals. With Greg at the helm and helpful guidance from the forum I think you've put all the odds in your favor.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: DocFish
That is exactly how I feel about the situation. I have a larger pond that is the prototypical LMB BG etc fishery.
I got cabin fever so bad this year with the winter weather that I said what the heck . I went to Lake Lanier with a local guide (Doug Younblood ) yesterday and we nailed 70 black crappie in 3 and 1/2 hours. They were still biting when we left. Water temp. was 43 45.5 by noon. I said man if only I could do this in my front yard! Thus the crappie pond ideaa. I am willing to work with greg and spend my "monthly" allowance on the experiment! Besides I am a doc my whole life is an experiment. I like trend setting so I am going for it. Worse case scenario,.. we drain the pond and start over. Best case scenario I have a productive crappie fishery and my own data on starting one ;)!
ill get you all some pics soon. It snowed in Alanta tday and I got some beautiful pics to share, ill also show you the pond.

Thanx for all the wisdom guys!

I really appreciate your passion and willingness to experiment for the benefit of the Pond Boss family!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Doc - Are hybrid crappie avaliable to you or Greg?. I would look at the pros and cons of hybrids before stocking any crappie. If hybrid crappie are available why would you not want to use them?

You mentioned feeding pellets. Who are pellets for?

Do you plan on fertilizing the pond?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/13/10 11:03 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday