Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,781
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,505
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
6 members (CentexSaj, Fishingadventure, catscratch, Lake8, FishinRod, Sunil), 1,044 guests, and 208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I must really be ignorant. I don't even know what a Rich Rod is, cept' for that awakening time in my chair. I thought it was an Infomercial and changed the channel to Gunsmoke.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Two points:

1.) Someone here did get hybrid striped bass from an Ohio supplier. I wouldn't say who it is and I don't remember, but I still wonder if it was ignorance on the part of the supplier or they just ignored the law.

2.) How many of you knew that striped bass were considered instead of salmon, for the Great Lakes, back when lake trout were almost extirpated by the Sea Lamprey and alewives were going nuts?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I am sure there are a few more things out there that are not on the States most desirable list, be it ignorance or what.

I am glad they went with the salmon, otherwise a lot of charter boats wouldn't have any names. And the Southport Slammer and Northport Nailer would never have been invented.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: JKB
I am sure there are a few more things out there that are not on the States most desirable list, be it ignorance or what.

I am glad they went with the salmon, otherwise a lot of charter boats wouldn't have any names. And the Southport Slammer and Northport Nailer would never have been invented.

But it is very possible we would have had larger striped bass than the salmon!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Not too many 50-60 pound salmon... I am curious how well striped bass would do in the Great Lakes? Why can't you have both striped bass and salmon in the Great Lakes? Why one or the other?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Not too many 50-60 pound salmon... I am curious how well striped bass would do in the Great Lakes? Why can't you have both striped bass and salmon in the Great Lakes? Why one or the other?

No idea but apparently striped bass are a no no as not even hybrid striped bass are allowed. Our forage base is way down though. Not sure how they would do compared to the 60's when their were so many alewives they washed up on the beaches.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I did some googling:

MI state record HSB is 10.75 lb taken out of the Kalamazoo River. 1996

Gun Lake, 219 acres, has a population of HSB

HSB have been in Lake Michigan since 1997. (sampling done near Indiana)

Walleye fisherman regularly catch HSB in LM by Indiana.

Every state surrounding MI produces HSB and there have been releases into the great lakes.

Last edited by JKB; 02/08/10 02:28 AM. Reason: added date
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I am not sure there is a river or habitat that would allow striped bass or hybrid striped bass to successfully reproduce... Would take a long strong flowing river to have substantial success. I am no expert on the Great Lakes, so their may very well be a river suitable but I cannot think of any. But not many rivers are deep enough, with a clean enough bottom with enough current to keep a striped bass egg moving for 2 plus days to keep them from getting silt covered and dying.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
This may explain a bit why they are not wanted in MI.

http://www.great-lakes.org/9-15-97.html

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
yes that explains the gov't bunk we are used to hearng.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
How much different are they from the white bass (beside size) that run on the detroit river? Would they have similar habitats and the like?

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You've gotta stand behind your team, CoachB, no matter what! I'll get back to liking the Wolverines once RR has been dismissed - he's my only objection to them!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I must really be ignorant. I don't even know what a Rich Rod is, cept' for that awakening time in my chair. I thought it was an Infomercial and changed the channel to Gunsmoke.

Former WVU football coach who turned traitorous and left for Michigan's head coaching job. He was forced to pay his full $4million penalty clause, so that hints at the cloud of suspicion under which he left. (Sorry Bob or others who may have been put off by my injection of football chat here!)

So, turning it back to HSB, what would be the reasoning that a state would outlaw them? Reading the posts here and in other threads, if they are either incapable of reproducing, or if the conditions for reproduction are insufficient, it doesn't seem like they pose an overpopulation risk. As well, I have not read anything that seems to suggest that they would become a true invasive species in the sense that I have come to appreciate that term here. I'm going to have to see if they are legal here in WV as I'd be very interested in adding them to my mix when I renovate my big pond one day.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Todd3138

Former WVU football coach who turned traitorous and left for Michigan's head coaching job. He was forced to pay his full $4million penalty clause, so that hints at the cloud of suspicion under which he left. (Sorry Bob or others who may have been put off by my injection of football chat here!)

So, turning it back to HSB, what would be the reasoning that a state would outlaw them? Reading the posts here and in other threads, if they are either incapable of reproducing, or if the conditions for reproduction are insufficient, it doesn't seem like they pose an overpopulation risk. As well, I have not read anything that seems to suggest that they would become a true invasive species in the sense that I have come to appreciate that term here. I'm going to have to see if they are legal here in WV as I'd be very interested in adding them to my mix when I renovate my big pond one day.

Agreed Todd, this was my question posed a while back. The article referenced by JKB seemed rather general and vague IMO. The only reason I can figure is if there is an issue with LM forage population. It's accurate that HSB are open water apex predators with voracious appetites - but it also true they are prized game fish that will fight to the point of death from exhaustion! I thought LM had alewife, and I didn't think one could EVER run short of alewife. My knowledge of LM is nonexistent so speculation on my part isn't a useful exercise.

It's certainly not my lake and my state tax dollars don't support it I suppose if I had a great WE, SBM, Steelhead Brown Trout and Salmon fishery I may not want to introduce any additional predator species to potentially tip the balance.

I wonder if any other states ban HSB and their reasoning behind it?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
LM is very low on the entire low end of the food chain right now and the alewife numbers are down. The last 4 years all states around LM have reduced the number of salmon they stock to try and help the situation out.

Lunker
Lunker
What else makes up the forage base - smelt and ciscoes? Are Gobies in LM?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
It should be obvious why they dont want them...they're PREDATORS;
who wants predators in any body of water(tongue in cheek, ya'll). What the heck are they supposed to eat, oatmeal? What sport fish is not a predator???? Someone plse enlighten me?
I cant believe it, someone talked me into putting predators in my pond.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
What else makes up the forage base - smelt and ciscoes? Are Gobies in LM?

Not many smelt, they have been down in numbers for years. Don't know about ciscoes, never heard of them being in there and haven't caught any. There are whitefish which I have caught. Gobies there are way to many of them. A real pain when we fish for Perch. I have had multiple 100 of goby days while fishing for Perch.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
How far out on the water are you fishing for perch? It sucks, but Gobies stay relatively close to piers and such. I quit fishing off the piers in Grand Haven quite a few years ago. That is where the Grand River empties out, and Grand Rapids has major sewage spills on a regular basis. Use to be good WE fishing off the Grand River, about 12-15 river miles to LM. Not anymore! Plus Browns off the pier's, them were always fun.

Michigan has not been actively stocking anything (on a regular level) due to VHSv since 2006 when VHSv was publicly announced, it is in all of the Great Lakes. Some call it the beginnings (well underway)of a mass extinction. I hope not, but, I do not have the info they have. And it is now up to a few people to make the calls. Not going to say the rest...

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I love how the article, http://www.great-lakes.org/9-15-97.html they say HSB average 20-30 pounds! Heck, even pure striped bass don't average that... Talk about stretching the truth to crank up the fear level!

Lunker
Lunker
Agreed Travis, I think the article may have had good intentions [to preserve LM predator/prey balance] but seemed to be written by someone who lacks experience with HSB.

I did read a report from LM that said due to reducing Chinook stockings the past few years the alewife biomass has made a modest comeback. Too bad more fish can't focus on the gobie - aren't they the primary reason SMB are growing to mammoth proportions?

We're navigating away from the original post which was a search for HSB in MI - sounds like unless one wants to risk the clandestine approach it's not a possibility.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
These HBS must be Monsters! \:D I don't mind protecting the GL, but let's not go overboard. Asian Carp pose a much bigger theat to the fishery than HBS, or even stripers.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Let's face it, there isn't much native left in the GL that is thriving...

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I did not write it!

Have any of you ever caught a 20+ lb King? That is a fighting machine. Specially if you have Iron down 200ft and towing it 300yd's. "Fish ON" Takes on a whole new meaning.

That is a fight you will not forget!

Lunker
Lunker
I would love a trip to one of the GL for a week and try for some of those 6 lb SMB, then WE, then try for some Salmon...any guide services offer a chance for the GL grand slam?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 12:48 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM
Chestnut other trees for wildlife
by Augie - 04/18/24 10:57 AM