Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,811
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
5 members (Rick O, Theo Gallus, Bill Cody, FishinRod, Sunil), 1,131 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#202226 02/02/10 06:04 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
I am thinking of building an aquarium out in my shop and use it to "grow' "FHM" so I can add extra to the pond when I feel like it. I would be happy with the ability to reproduce say 2500 to 5000 per year or so(just an estimate). Can anyone direct me to a website that will tell me how to do this? I dont want a huge setup just something about the size of a water trough for horse/cattle which is about 2 ft deep by 6 ft long.

I subscribe!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Just to add another wrinkle to my previous question. living in north fla with a 3/4 ac pond. Should I be trying to raise another type of bait fish? My overall reason to do this at all is to have big LMB as well as BG. Mind you im not looking for a 25lb bass, just wanting to do what I can to fatten up all of my fish. What about frogs? Just looking for the best bang for the buck that will put the pounds on my fish.

I subscribe!
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Best bang for your buck would be pellet feeding wouldn't it? Oh, where was it, someone compared the amount of minnows vs. pellets. I'll see if I can find it, but basically it wasn't a comparison. Pellets far outweighed natural forage. But, don't take my word for it, I'll see if I can hunt it down.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Oh, forgot to add, I had a thread I started about feed trained LMB. The LMB will likely not eat the pellets, but your BG should, which will just make bigger meals for your LMB.

...still hunting for that thread...

EDIT - I can't find it. \:\(

Last edited by Omaha; 02/02/10 09:57 PM.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Hey 11 -

Cool idea supplying one's own forage by way of a small pond or tank. You can search the forum for posts regarding this - I think raising supplemental forage sounds economical and a fun side hobby too. For FHM it's very simple - provide water, some protection from predators like coons and birds, and something under which to spawn near the surface [floating pallets work well for me] and they will do their thing many times over temps allowing.

You are in FL and are trying to feed LMB - IMO FHM aren't going to amount to much. I'd try focusing on forage that provides a bigger meal and ideally something that can establish itself or at least reproduce in your ponds. Up in NE the Golden Shiner [GSH] fits the bill well - one needs to provide some shallow grassy areas they prefer for spawning. I'm not familiar with native minnow species in FL so others may be able to guide you towards more suitable or desirable species. I know Todd Overton and Travis seem to praise the Lake Chubsucker as good forage for LMB.
BG are probably your best bet in terms of sustainable forage in your ponds. Create suitable habitat for spawning and some protection from predation and you should be fine...but I'm not a LMB guy - I'm sure others will come along soon to provide more specific direction.

Great idea on the forage pond - keep us apprised of your project.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
3/4 of an acre pond is a bit on the small size for TFS or I would recommend them. GSH may be an option as they are native to north FL and have the possibility of doing well in a 3/4 acre pond. However, they will compete with BG for food. As TJ mentioned, lake chubsuckers(LCS) are native to north FL and are found in many BOW's in the state. They are a big part of the diet of many bass in FL. You can look into purchasing some from Todd Overton or attempt to wild collect some. Check this link out: FL Lake Chubsucker

Check out Todd Overton's info on LCS on his site: Overton LCS

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Thanks to all for the assistance. cjbs2003, what is "BOW'S"?

I subscribe!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Does anyone know where north florida (Lake City) would be closest supplier for these chubsuckers? A google search brings up everything but what I want...

I subscribe!
B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
BOW=Body of water

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The only place I know of that sells LCS for pond stocking is Overton's. Either them or you collect them youself...

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
I have never tried to catch these, what would be the best way?

I subscribe!
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I'm waiting for a couple of thousand to be delivered today. I'm going to try many methods, hope something works. From stock tubs, to drawdown fire ponds to isolated kid fishing areas. I already have gambusia figured out. But I am going to try and get these things renewable also. Even the rosy reds. But not for resale, just for my own ponds.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: rcn11thacr
I have never tried to catch these, what would be the best way?

Try a minnow trap baited with bread in a weedy area of one of your local lakes or canals. If you can find an area with a little current, even better leave the bread out then. Also, running a seine in an area that is open enough to run one but close to vegetation would probably be a good method to try as well.

Lunker
Lunker
Catching ANYTHING in a the old minnow trap is a blast...enjoy! I can't even remember what open water looks like... \:\(

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Many thanks to everyone for your opinions and information. After searching for data and studying I am going to go with the lake chubsucker. I really like what I see.
It does not compete for food with the bream or shellcrackers I have. Since I dont have or plan to have catfish it kinda takes their place (not totally) by helping to keep the place clean. They will not overpopulate like tshad and gshad will. They fit a nitche that I like in that their size can be anywhere from fingerling to 18.5in, however in my 3/4 ac pond its most likely to stay around 10-14in imop. They should be able to be sustainable even with my bass when I finally put them in. From what I read they deposit their eggs in the bass nest and look similar to bass when young and therefore have protection for a short time anyway. Lake Panasofkee, rodman damn, lake Kissessme (yes, I know the spelling is wrong) and a few lakes in the ocala area have noticed in the last 5 yrs that the chubsucker populations have grown by leaps and bounds. Guess what else has grown? The average bass size has growm by as much as 15% from my reading. I found a bait shop that has a contact that says they have a "few" and the guy is supposed to get them for me today. It would be nice to start with 25-50 individuals but I have time for them to grow. I dont intend to put predators in for a year or so. I also want more time for my lake grass and other plants to grow as well as my minnows, bream, and shellcrackers to populate. I think if I wait till their is enough plants and grass to provide good cover for my "bait fish" this will go well with my trees, rocks, and pvc to give an overall good habitat. Add the crawfish as soon as they are out of the mud and walah, good fish structure, bait fish, and eventually there will be some piggy piggy style fat belly bass to catch.

I subscribe!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sounds great, glad you were able to source some LCS. Please check back in and let us know how the stocking goes and how the LCS progress... When you stock them, please take some photos of them and post on here.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Like a lot of other stuff, I know nothing about LCS. Do they fit in the same niche with FHM? Would they compete or over compete with fatheads? I guess I'm asking why not stock both?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Probably the biggest thing is, LCS have a good chance of lasting in a pond. FHM have little to no chance. I still think FHM have a role in the initial stocking of a pond and should be stocked. The stocking of LCS would be good early on before bass. Give them a chance to get some size on them. The initial stocking will be your future breeding population as they should stay just outside the range of your bass's mouth size. This is all assumptions as I just got my hands on LCS last year. Maybe in a few more years I can give more first hand experience and I am sure Bill and others who have recently stocked their ponds with LCS will too...

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Dave: imop I feel that a new pond should still have the FMH, they have their place. The whole reason why I was trying to figure out how to "grow" them in the barn was due to the fact the FMH was not going to be able to keep alive one the LMB took hold and I wanted the bass to have something extra. The search for a suitable fish to take its place has lead me to the chubsucker for all the above reasons I have mentioned. Im not concerned about the FMH competing with the chubsucker since they dont eact exactly the same stuff and most of all they will not last long enough in the pond when the bass are present. The chubsucker to me fits better since it will survive over and over for years to come. Thats better than me "growing" the FMH in the shop due them not making it on their own.

I subscribe!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
OK, I guess that leads me to another question/thought/red light.

Like the air in a balloon, biomass is constrained by dissolved oxygen availability. Your local lakes indicate that the LCS is quite prolific. So are bluegill and FHM but shellcrackers aren't all that prolific. Multiple fish types with high fecundity, even though each have a different niche, all add to the nutrient load. Thus, it becomes a balancing act with a possibility of few winners and a lot of losers.

I don't want to come across as negative or rain on any parades. However, over stocking forage can have the same effect as over fertilizing. Having had some fish kills in forage ponds and seen more, I have become very cautious about how much air the balloon can hold.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Dave. I feel you bring up some valuable concerns. I feel that by adding in so few LCS that it would help keep it in balance longer. I felt at some point I would need to cull the LCS. When? Well, that was something I would do on an as needed basis. If not before then. Hopefully I can see a problem before it happens. Do you feel this is foolish? If so, i am certainly open other options if you have them. I am by no means and expert and would be willing to take your information under advisement just as I have done the other helpful members here on the forum. What would you suggest to replace the LCS?

I subscribe!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I think you should use the LCS. Maybe not put in the FHM until a yr or 8 mo before the LMB so FHM do not create so much biomass to cause problems before the LMB are introduced. Remember in FL the spawning season is lengthy for some species which could quickly stretch the "biomass balloon" that Dave referred to.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/07/10 07:30 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Bill: There is a problem with your suggestion...I put 2500 FHM in the pond on 1-7-2010. I cant rightly take them back now, however I have not put in the LCS yet. The contact has not called me to say they are ready.

I subscribe!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Have you stocked BG in the pond yet? What size will the LCS be that your source is getting for you? Are they adult fish, as in 6" or so or larger in size?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
BG and Shellcracker all went in at the same time the FMH did. I am under the impression the LCS will be fingerling size but that has not been verified yet.

I subscribe!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 06:16 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?