Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,913
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
8 members (4CornersPuddle, catscratch, Boondoggle, Shorthose, esshup, Joeydickens93, rjackson, Theo Gallus), 749 guests, and 175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#202141 02/02/10 07:25 AM
D
Dave J Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
As I continue my quest to find a fish to add to my pond that has walleye and perch in it-I came across some reading about hybrid stripped bass. Can anyone give me some info on this fish and if it would be compatibable with my walleye/perch pond? Also would it make the winters and summers in SW Mich?

Thanks again for all the help I get on this forum

Dave

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dave:

Do you have any other forage fish in the pond besides YP? They will survive the cold weather just fine, it's just a matter of having food for them. If you pellet feed, they do well on pellets, but I am unsure how well they'd do during the winter if the only fish in the pond are YP/WE.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Dave J Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I added 50 lbs of fatheads this fall before I put the walleye in. I do pellet feed in the summer/fall. I am hoping that my perch spawn enough to help feed the walleye and them. I will add more fatheads again in spring and fall. Hopefully that would do it! what do you think

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
You will run into issues because we are not "allowed" to have them in Michigan. I wanted to get them as well. No one sells them in Michigan and Ohio checks drivers license. I will be interested in seeing other posts.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
We can work together on this if you want to.

Brian
Retired Coach

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Didn't someone on here get HSB delivered to their Michigan pond from and Ohio fish supplier?

BTW, I heard the wolverine emerged from his hole and saw his shadow predicting 6 more years of bad football.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Michigan bans a sterile hybrid? Sounds logical...At any rate, I'm sure you two Big Ten guys can figure out a way to make things work.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Ryan Freeze
Didn't someone on here get HSB delivered to their Michigan pond from and Ohio fish supplier?

BTW, I heard the wolverine emerged from his hole and saw his shadow predicting 6 more years of bad football.

HSB are Strictly prohibited in MI.

I have consulted with Dr. Nancy Frank by email and phone. And an Equivocal NO resounded. The contacts were good natured.

If you want to make another attempt, here is the info:

Michigan Department of Agriculture:
Dr. Nancy Frank
Animal Industry Division
P.O. Box 30017
Lansing, MI 48909
517-373-1077
FrankN@michigan.gov

I doubt someone would risk the prison time and fines, even from Ohio, much less the purchaser to pull HSB across state lines.

Anyway, ya need a new permit, that wasn't published properly (only by word of mouth, Check MAA) to bring anything into MI.

Well Water Tax is up on the agenda again. And possessing a fish in MI being alive and swimming in uncontrolled waters of the State, may have to be permitted. This means your aquarium fish as well, not to mention the stocking of your pond. Then you have to fill out another section which completely describes the short and long term disposition of your fish while in possession. It get's even worse if your fish spawn

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Well - good government again in action. What would we do without these conscientious, duly elected offcials looking out for our welfare and best interests?.? I'm from the government and I'm here to HELP you. WE really do deserve the results of their actions - we did vote them into office. Will there ever be a house cleaning for government officials? Probably not, too much apathy exists. Many of "them" rely on apathy. This post may not have a very long life span which is fine considering this is a pond discussion forum.

I have heard that occassionally a few MI residents have been "caught" to have white amur by MDNR and they made the pondowner drain his pond to get the fish out. It is best to follow the law of the land.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/02/10 08:29 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Michigan bans a sterile hybrid? Sounds logical...At any rate, I'm sure you two Big Ten guys can figure out a way to make things work.

They only ban things that could screw up the largest fresh water system in the world. Hybrids eventually revert, genetics, then you have a mess.

Track record is so, so. But they do the best they can.

It would be an awesome job to be a Fisheries Biologist in MI, in todays world.

With the announcement that VHSv is finally in Lake Superior and Cornell Prof's and Science Modelling is expecting a mass extinction, that they say is well under way due to VHSv and other factors. They do have a period dedicated to this, begins with an H, Sure it is not He--, but could be close.

Best catch your favorite while you still have time.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Well - good government again in action. What would we do without these conscientious, duly elected offcials looking out for our welfare and best interests?.? I'm from the government and I'm here to HELP you. WE really do deserve the results of their actions - we did vote them into office. Will there ever be a house cleaning for government officials? Probably not, too much apathy exists. Many of "them" rely on apathy. This post may not have a very long life span which is fine considering this is a pond discussion forum.

I have heard that occassionally a few MI residents have been "caught" to have white amur by MDNR and they made the pondowner drain his pond to get the fish out. It is best to follow the law of the land.

Bill, No way was I trying to upset the balance that Pond Boss Forum has, and I did not think I went over any edge, take a thousand other post's. I was just relaying info to others that may be in MI, and they may have to take a "Heads Up Approach" to what is growing on the ladder, before they climb up.

Is that bad? - If you think so, then I apologize!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
HSB are also banned in VA. They don't want them escaping ponds and getting into the rivers and backcrossing with native striped bass. What is ironic is that the VDGIF used to stock 1,000's of HSB into public waters. It wasn't until the 90's did they have a change of heart. They still stock them into western drainages that flow into the Mississippi and not the Atlantic.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Thanks CJ for the info.

Bill,

One part of the discussion with Dr. Frank regarding HSB, is that She did not see too much of a problem if the fish were raised in an RAS, and completely sealed from any possibility of the fish escaping into the State waters. With the proper permits.

The NO came from a fear by the DNR (now run by the MDA) that in transport, viable eggs or fish may be released due to a traffic accident, and therefore transportation was the major roadblock.

When I get concrete info, as to what is really is going up, with the rest of the rules, I'll post it into the Pond Poss section as information.

We all have our jobs to do, and we all have our shortfalls. Gotta Love Everyone, and just make progress.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
JKB - No problem and no upset. I was just venting on how well OUR government runs things. We do appreciate the info about new laws being proposed that will affect pondowners. What usually looks really good on paper can often have problems in practical application.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks for all the great information. I appreciate that they want to protect Michigan waters. It just gets a bit frustrating at times.

Brian
Retired Coach

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Bill, that sure fits on my well thought out whizeroo ideas that just can't go wrong. Until I try them.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Ryan Freeze

From a Mountaineer fan, who otherwise has no personal beef with Michigan, I hope their football misfortunes last as long as RichRod lasts there! I'm sure you Buckeyes don't disagree!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Us Penn Stater do!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Us Penn Stater do!

My oldest brother is a PSU grad, so in spite of your Lions kicking the crap out of my Mounties for, oh, about 50 straight years, I've always actually been a fan. I just love seeing anybody beat RichRod and his new team these days, though it's tough to pull for anyone when Michigan plays Notre Dame. I wish there was a way both teams could somehow lose . . .

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Maybe when the big extinction happens up there all the private fish hatcheries and pond owners should tell the states we won't sell you any fish. You reap what you sew.

BTW hybrids cannot revert to some alternate genetic form. They are what they are. If they reproduce with their own they can exhibit outbreeding depression which usually leads to nonviable fish i.e. extinction. If they happen to back cross they become more like their parent species. This is how nature has worked on its own for long before man arrived.

The geologic record is replete with crossing, hybridization, evolution, species divergence, extinction, and subspecies becoming independent species, local and regional populations of the same species with extensive morphological differences. Change is the only constant state. For example there are in Centrarchidae (sunfish) 44 species: 33 extant and 11 extinct species currently identified and numerous subspecies that are arguably independent species. In addition there are large morphological and even some genetic differences between local populations of the same Centrarchidae specie.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It wasn't but a few years ago they finally made the Spotted and Redspotted sunfish distinct species rather than subspecies. I think some ichthyologists are pushing for FL LMB and northern LMB to made distinct species. Unfortunately, with so much stocking, many sunfish subspecies have lost their genetic individuality.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Thanks for the clarification ewest.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
thanks for getting a way from the RichRod bashing. Unfortunately, I don't have much to come back with, yet. All in for Michigan, baby (that's all I got!).

Brian
Retired Coach

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CoachB
thanks for getting a way from the RichRod bashing. Unfortunately, I don't have much to come back with, yet. All in for Michigan, baby (that's all I got!).

I understand the wolverine came out of his hole in Ann Arbor last Tuesday and saw his shadow. Which means another six years of bad football. ;\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
All Right, all right , all right!!! Hybrid stripers!! (Rich Rod will make it right, however) \:D

Brian
Retired Coach

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by esshup - 04/23/24 07:31 AM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by esshup - 04/23/24 07:29 AM