Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,128
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
16 members (jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg), 959 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I was asked this question, and couldn't answer it.

"If 100 RES 4"-6" are stocked in a 1 ac pond this Spring with no predators in it, and they spawn, how many will make it to next year?" It seems that a RES 6" long will have somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 ova (according to Arkansas Academy of Science Proceedings, Vol. XXXIII,1979).

What say you experts? The pond is new as of 2009, some FHM and GSH will be stocked at the same time.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It really all depends... Spawning success if highly variable. Substrate, temperature, rain conditions, etc... GSH are big egg and fry eaters, if they are stocked as well, they'll eat a lot of the RES eggs and fry.

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Substrate is sand/gravel, but mostly sand. Ther GSH should be 3" long or so. IIRC, 5# FHM, 5# GSH in 1 ac, plus the 100 RES.

CJ, What's your WAG?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
1000-2000 if I had to make a WAG... Gonna be a lot of hungry little fish though.

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
All the more food for the SMB and possibly HSB. (go to sleep with their mouths open and wake up with a full belly)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If you're just going to grow out fish, I'd use GSH and FHM.

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nope, not me. Not my pond. I honestly think it'll be O.K., if the RES get too thick, won't HSB chew them down? SMB are planned for stocking in Spring of 2011, along with YP. The only cover/structure in the pond is 1/2 dz. stumps/rootballs. No plants (yet).

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Scott

I didn't know you were a YP, SMB, RES, HSB fan? What a cool project - we're like minded for sure.

Ever think about adding 100-200 M BG just to grow out trophies?

I think you are right on track with adding GSH - or wait, are you going to stock GSH? According to Dave Willis and Mark Cornwall articles in old issues of PB they believe GSH just might establish themselves a sustained forage base with only YP, SMB and HSB as apex predators. IMO their benefit far outweighs their penchant for nest raiding...if you need to you can always go RES collecting to supplement your population from time to time - besides it's a blast float tubing and catching RES on their beds on a nice June day.

Although I lack personal experience my hunch says you can stay ahead of the GSH with your RES spawns. IIRC Eric has stated he's never seen an overpopulation of RES in a pond...unlike BG or PS. I think you have a rock solid ultra cool project on tap.

I want to learn more - is this a new pond? Additional pond?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
HSB are not big predators on sunfish. They like open was fish like GSH. But if the pond has minimal cover, they may be more efficient at preying on the RES than normal. Fortunately RES don't have high reproduction rates like BG, so it should be OK. How big will the SMB be when stocked? I'd stock them this fall over waiting until the following spring...

Lunker
Lunker
Sorry I can't leave this thread alone: In our Western NE sandpits the RES pull off healthy spawns every year. Very strong populations despite the presence of tons of 10-12" LMB. I think you are looking good with your substrate.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
HSB are not big predators on sunfish. They like open was fish like GSH. But if the pond has minimal cover, they may be more efficient at preying on the RES than normal. Fortunately RES don't have high reproduction rates like BG, so it should be OK. How big will the SMB be when stocked? I'd stock them this fall over waiting until the following spring...

true that hsb LIKE open water, but if put into a 1 acre pond, they take what is given them. My 75 hsb in 1 acre have made a decent living off BG. Yes. I have fed moderately heavy when the damn feeder wasnt jammed or something, but not enough for them to weigh at 2-3 # each in 16 months.
I see them flashing under water afer the BG when feeding smaller pellets. Then they hit the larger pellets also.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
No doubt, they will eat what is available and in smaller ponds particularly they'll pray on BG and other sunfish, especially when there is little cover for the sunfish to take to. I just wouldn't rely on HSB to do a good job of keeping BG in check. But as with every pond, it all depends.

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm just doing the legwork for a fellow Pondmeister who dug 2 new 1 ac ponds <20 miles from my house in 2009. He wants to have one pond SMB/RES/YP (with forage fish as well) for swimming, and the other pond is still undecided except for RES/GHS/FH. He's planning on stocking the forage fish this year, and letting everything simmer for at least the spring/summer and maybe fall/winter depending on fish availability before stocking predators. He's not stocking real heavily on the forage fish, but they should multiply pretty well without any predators, 100 4"-6" RES in each pond, and 5# each of GSH and FH in each pond this year.

He's undecided on the stocking numbers and size to stock of YP/SMB, but since it's 6 months to a year off, hopefully more data will be published in PB Magazine in 2010 - he is a subscriber.

The primary task of the RES is vector control, as black spot is common in many of the local BOW's.

There is a windmill aerator at each pond, but he's not planning on feeding. We'll see how long that lasts after he sees the fish hitting the pellets at my place in a few weeks.

He's an absentee Pondmeister, and isn't sure if he will have 2-legged visitors when he's not at the property. During the warmer months of the year he's at the property at least 1x week, not so frequently during the winter. The soil type is similar to mine, so he will have 4'-5' water level fluctuations on a yearly basis just like I do.

He will be the apex predator, the family likes fish, so the ponds will be fished 1x/week once the fish numbers will sustain harvesting, most likely C/R the first year or two.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
CJ:

I know HSB are not normally considered to be sunfish predators, but when fishing for landlocked striped bass we have done very well using 6"-7" BG, slow trolled on planer boards. Yeah, I thought the BG would be too big for them, but I was proven wrong!I think the HSB will retain some of that characteristic and feed on the smaller sunfish, especially if there are good numbers of them available for food.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Striped bass have bigger mouths compared to the same length of hybrid striped bass.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
With the water fluctuations, the GSH should pull off great spawns if he can keep some alive through the winter months. Have him plant the exposed areas in rye in fall. When the water rises in the spring the rye will flood be great spawning structure for the GSH. Should fatten the HSB up real nice on natural foods.

I catch a lot of my striped bass in the Chesapeake live lining small white perch which are shaped similarly to BG. Perhaps a bit less rounded, but they got the spines and their gill plates are very sharp. So they will no doubt feed on fish shaped like BG.

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
With the water fluctuations, the GSH should pull off great spawns if he can keep some alive through the winter months. Have him plant the exposed areas in rye in fall. When the water rises in the spring the rye will flood be great spawning structure for the GSH. Should fatten the HSB up real nice on natural foods.

Now why didn't I think of that??? That's a great idea. I need to do that in my pond as well. Now, one question. Rye grass or the cereal grain?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 08:24 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday