Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,088
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Sunil, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 790 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#201066 01/27/10 10:09 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
WELLINGTON, New Zealand

Airport Stops Man With 44 Lizards In Pants

German Reptile Collector Jailed For 14 Weeks In New Zealand

A German reptile collector has been jailed for 14 weeks and must pay a 5,000 New Zealand dollar ($3,540) fine for plundering New Zealand's wild gecko and skink populations, a judge has ruled.

Hans Kurt Kubus, 58, is to be deported to Germany as soon as he is released from prison, Judge Colin Doherty ordered Tuesday.

Kubus was caught by wildlife officials at Christchurch International Airport on South Island in December, about to board an overseas flight with 44 geckos and skinks in a hand-sewn package concealed in his underwear.

He admitted trading in exploited species without a permit and hunting absolutely protected wildlife without authority, pleading guilty to two charges under the Wildlife Act and five under the Trade in Endangered Species Act.

Department of Conservation prosecutor Mike Bodie told Christchurch District Court that Kubus could have faced potential maximum penalties of 500,000 dollars and six months in prison.

Bodie told Doherty that the department sought a deterrent sentence for "the most serious case of its kind detected in New Zealand for a decade or more."

The geckos may have been worth 2,000 euros ($2,800) each on the European market, he noted.

"Internationally, this type of trade is prevalent and is on the increase worldwide and can be lucrative," he said.

Customs records showed that Kubus had also been to New Zealand in 2001, 2004, 2008, and 2009. In 2008, he had been with a Swiss reptile dealer.

Doherty said Kubus had come to New Zealand and set about poaching the animals in a premeditated way which would have had an impact on particular colonies.

There was a potential for Kubus to end up with far more animals than he could have housed in his own collection and the rest would have been sold.

"I don't think you necessarily came here to steal to sell, but I am sure the fact that you might have had excess was figured into your thinking," said the judge, describing the offending as "pretty close to the worst case."

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I have it on good authority that when the "wildlife officials" stopped Mr. Kubas they shouted at him...

FREEZE!

Is that a gecko in your pants or are you just happy to see us?

Hopefully, I won't get moderated for that. \:D

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 01/27/10 11:14 AM. Reason: Just don't bring up Richard Geer

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
With 44 geckos, he is saving like 660% off his car insurance!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Reminds me of Gordon Gekko.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
When reptile collector Hans Kurt Kubus was asked why he did it, his reply was, "I've got a really problem with the Geico commercials and figured sweet revenge was to eliminate the threatened Geckos.

Here he is in a recent photo:

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/28/10 06:42 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
Some thoughts:

I have heard of a trouser snake but not a trouser gecko.

I would like to meet someone willing to pay 2800 bucks for a gecko.

Samuel L Jackson will be appearing in a movie sequel this summer called "Skinks on a Plane"

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: DJT
Some thoughts:

I have heard of a trouser snake but not a trouser gecko.

I would like to meet someone willing to pay 2800 bucks for a gecko.

Samuel L Jackson will be appearing in a movie sequel this summer called "Skinks on a Plane"

At least he wasn't packing 44 of these.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Ewwwww!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
With 44 geckos, he is saving like 660% off his car insurance!

ROFLMOA!!! \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...and I've already stolen it and used it as if it was my idea. \:\)

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
A small pet shop in town next to my wife's clinic went out of business. The workers in the clinic began to notice small pink geckos in their storage room. Now they're all over town, including my house 3 miles away. I can go out with a flashlight on a summer night and spot 15-20 of them scurrying around on the bricks. Since they're night creatures, they haven't affected the native lizards that I have noticed, but there are so many of them they must be impacting native species in some way.

They like my patio door. The light attracts insects, and the insects attract geckos and little green tree frogs.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Pretty interesting bobad... I wonder what species of gecko it is and if the fish and wildlife agency for LA knows about the establishment of the exotics yet?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Interesting Bobad. I'm not sure it they are still there but about 10 years ago there was a colony of Macaws living wild in the Ocean Beach area of San Diego. It was interesting to be walking down the street and see several Macaws fly by. (Oh and for those of you that know the Ocean Beach area of San Diego, pretty much everything "lives wild" there).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Jhap:
Downtown Carlsbad/South Oceanisde near the coast had a bunch of small parrots living in the palm trees as well. That was in the mid 1990's.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
The parrots are probably still there.

Carlsbad is responsible for the largest amount of new housing being built in north coastal San Diego county. Carlsbad's population has increased 65% in the last 20 years from a population of about 63,000 in 1990 to over 104,000 last year. They've squeezed houses in everywhere.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I used to by seeds for the garden from Mr. Ledgerwood who lived right off of PCH. He's probably gone now, he was getting up there in age back then. He told me that he bought a bunch of acerage by the Carlsbad Airport and sold it in the '60's for $400.00/acre and thought he made a killing. Little did he know.......

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
When I bought my place there was a great woman that lived across the street on the bluff. One day I was talking to her and she told me that her and her husband purchased their two bluff top parcels in the 1940s for $1,200. She said that at the time her and her husband became angry when they found out the neighbor paid $100 less per lot. When she passed away in about 2000 or 2001 her two lots with 100 feet of ocean front (and a tear down house) sold for $1.8 mill. As you can imagine her adult children were quite happy.

So were you around when Carlsbad had the Chicken Shack (with the huge chicken in front)?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
Supposedly the guy they arrested was known on a reptile forum as Fatty McSkinkypants.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JHAP:

Yep. And I was around when you didn't want to walk around downtown O'side after dark, before Melrose poked thru from North Santa Fe Ave thru to 78, before they built the new Bonsall Bridge over the San Luis Rey River, I ran the Camaro at Carlsbad.... The shut-off area seemed really short and I was only going 140-145. There used to be a HUGE flock of pheasants in the Guahome Lake Park. I'd take one of the Springers over there, get off of the trails and let her off of the leash. The birds were closer to the Old Adobe Ranch house than the cattail infested pond. I had a house on Jeffries Ranch Road.

When I left, Mission was not a divided road past College Blvd. Looking at Google Earth, things have really chaged there!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Wow, definitely a small world Essup.

You should have heard my father talk about San Diego, he was born in San Diego in 1926 and use to hunt quail in Mission Valley (back when the San Diego river was actually a river) right where the Mission and Fashion Valley shopping centers are.

I raced motocross at the Carlsbad motocross track for several years, which as you know was right next to the drag strip.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JHAP:

If you take a tour of Mission San Luis Rey, there is a plaque in there tells of the sailing vessels coming up the San Luis Rey River to the mission from the ocean. Talk about change!! A friend of mine who worked near the river in the '60's told me of the salmon that would enter the river to spawn. When is the last time you heard of a salmon run in San Diego County?

It's a very small world!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday