Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shorthose, rjackson, gehajake, catscratch), 1,003 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Print Thread
#200180 01/21/10 11:02 PM
K
kanima Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
I have talked to greg on here, I have talked to a local guy like only 30 mins away, and a guy out of Auburn.

Each of these have suggested different rates for BG/RE/LMB The cost is not that much different between them. It just confuses me on how different their plans are.

On top of that some have said not to stock any Fla bass due to them not liking to strike. That F1/Tigers are better.

So basicly I am asking what are the standard stocking rates, what are the rate for trophy bass production ( will the fun fishing factor be lost) stocking that way.

And is a fish a fish? Does a home grown vs a wholesaler make a difference. If it genes then prove it or explain it.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Good questions...

FL LMB do tend to be more hook shy, but they do have their advantages as well and IMO their hook shyness is a bit overplayed, but then again I am not nearly as experienced with FL LMB as many of the members on here.

A lot of stocking recommendations are based on goals. Even "standard" stocking rates vary greatly. I know Greg has been doing some work with stocking higher rates of BG and from his results, his stocking plans are working. If you're trying to grow trophy bass, he's probably giving you some darn good advice...

Usually when trying to grow trophy bass, you stock more forage and less bass. Generally when you do this, you do make the fishing harder. But if you goal is to grow bass into double digit weights, you're gonna be hard pressed to also have a fast action fishery as well.

A fish is a fish, but the quality may not be there... A great example of this is the Condello Strain BG that forum member Bruce Condello produced through several generations of selective breeding. If you compared his top 10% fish to you average run of the mill BG, I think you will find your chance at producing a trophy BG would be much better. Also, some hatcheries don't bring in new genetics regularly... This can lead to inbreeding, and inbreeding can lead to undesirable results...

Just my opinion and observations though...

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
CJ great explanation. Give us a call back. Usually I try to match stocking plans to goals and also work within budget constraints. I must have not done a good job of that if still confused.

Not sure who else you have been talking with probably good folks but you do have to consider fish source. You are trusting your fish stocker, you are not going to be counting thousands of fish so you need trust in them.

We mix fla with F1 at times as well to match goals. If going after trophy bass then yes you may lose the fun part of catching many bass. I mainly stock for goals of quality bass meaning great growth but also enough to catch. Keep in mind if you think it is fun for you to catch bluegill the numbers will be higher in quality bass scenario.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Be sure you have them explain what a trophy bass lake is and what you can expect when fishing. Most people once that is explained do not want one but want a balanced population.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=185002&fpart=1

Here are 2 links to recent threads on the catchability topic. It includes the 2 studies TX and ILL. There is a recent article in PB mag on the topic reviewing these studies.

Largemouth 'catchability' may be inherited

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthread...true#Post159224

How much fishing is too much?

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=181009&fpart=1

Here is part of one study from AFS .

Admixture Analysis of Florida Largemouth Bass and

Northern Largemouth Bass using Microsatellite Loci

DIJAR J. LUTZ-CARRILLO*

CHRIS C. NICE, TIMOTHY H. BONNER, AND MICHAEL R. J. FORSTN

LORAINE T. FRIES

Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 135:779–791, 2006

Copyright by the American Fisheries Society 2006

We found no evidence of a heterotic effect (in terms

of size) resulting from first-generation crosses between

Florida largemouth bass and northern largemouth bass.

The majority of trophy-sized fish with an admixed

genome were later-generation hybrids with a larger

percentage of Florida largemouth bass alleles. There

was also no observable negative impact on size from

the admixed genetic background in these fish, most

likely because of the modified environment to which

they were introduced and the nonadaptive radiation of

micropterids (Near et al. 2003).

See these also

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=58263&fpart=1

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=57809&fpart=1

Last edited by ewest; 01/22/10 10:21 AM.

ewest #200230 01/22/10 10:34 AM
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
kanima called me and I made sure to totally confuse him.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Not sure why you would hope to get a better evaluation, or even a suggetion of stocking rates than Greg and your 2 other local sources on a public forum with no details of the pond, or goals for the pond. Good post by CN, and, as usual, Eric has the related discussions.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Show him the photos on your website Greg. There not much confusion about an 11 pound bass.

Although I'm a little confused as to why you're bending the bass. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
All kidding aside though kanima, you have a legitimate concern. Stocking decisions are often cause for concern and apprehension. Greg Grimes has a very good reputation and a good client base. Perhaps the local guy does as well. Ask the local guy to join Pond Boss and share his management philosophy. We are always open to new opinions and discussion.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
K
kanima Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
Yea but he is the using the ol deer hunting trick to make the fish look bigger... Holding with arms stretched out \:\)

PS. After reading some more that must have been the LMMB strain :0

Last edited by kanima; 01/22/10 02:54 PM.
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Yall crack me up. When holding an 11 lb bass you better grab the tail or it is going to have a broken jaw and that might get me fired. I let Condello have credit for "the holding the fish at arms length photos" but been doing it for years (heck that photo is 6 yrs old now). The condello method is just giving full credit for the fish's growth I say. Speaking of years.. working on an new SOQ this am and according to the math i have been working on ponds for 19 years now, I flipped out when I typed that.

I think we got kanima straightened out.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Kanima, my thoughts and I don't have a dog in this fight.

I find and believe that you will find that stocking of fish is the least expensive part of building, maintaining, owning and enjoying a pond. It should be done right or can lead to disastrous consequences. The decision to stock must be done in consideration of YOUR carefully considered goals. When just starting out, defining your goals can be tough and that's why I say carefully considered. Take time and post here to get others input regarding expected ramifications of different plans and stocking rates.

You haven't identified the other fish salesmen but Greg has a good reputation here.

BTW, differences of opinion is why we have horse races.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 01/24/10 08:23 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Well said Dave...

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Dave has wise advice. Determining ones goals CAN be difficult. It is not until experiencing some fish species that one then often changes their goals. Experence IS a good teacher.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM