Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (catscratch, Brandon Larson, Layne, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond, Angler8689), 638 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 45 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 44 45
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Quite another milestone, B'ski and the Mrs.
Tell us about the wrap install. Is it all done after the siding is placed? Are those a roofing nail with plastic washers holding it? From a dumb non-carpenter here.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
What is next ? When do the upper windows go in? That step will make working upstairs a little brighter but may slow things down a bit. Stopping to watch the outside goings-on can get in the way but it makes life more interesting. Take time to smell the roses - its about the journey so don't rush. Trust me the trip will be easier and more enjoyable with power/heat and light if you take time to let it be. \:\)

Last edited by ewest; 01/18/10 09:26 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Quite another milestone, B'ski and the Mrs.
Tell us about the wrap install. Is it all done after the siding is placed? Are those a roofing nail with plastic washers holding it? From a dumb non-carpenter here.

Handling housewrap can be a PIMA, Burger...particularly if there is any wind. If you start attaching it kinda crooked, there is no forgiveness; it doesn't "bend or stretch" to straighten out and will run out to the other end crooked (kinda like laying carpet). For this reason, the easiest way is when the wall section is laying flat. Hanging it by wrapping or attaching after the wall is vertical is a challenge that requires patience. An extra sets of hands is a must.
-
The nails are exactly that; button caps or plastic caps. A regular ring shank nail with a cheap galvanized coating that is poked thru the center of a 1" diameter soft, flexible, flat plastic button.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
What is next ? When do the upper windows go in? That step will make working upstairs a little brighter but may slow things down a bit. Stopping to watch the outside goings-on can get in the way but it makes life more interesting. Take time to smell the roses - its about the journey so don't rush. Trust me the trip will be easier and more enjoyable with power/heat and light if you take time to let it be. \:\)

The windows have snuck up the priority list and are very near the top, Ewest. Our first priority continues to be completing the roof detail stuff, but that gets bumped until the conditions are absolutely ideal (read this as dry and minimal wind).
Another project that has ascended the priority list is the soffits on the gable ends. The lower sections of a gambrel roof design are very easily exposed to wind driven rain. This situation would also allow water to get behind the housewrap. Installing the soffits would eliminate the potential.
-
Having just completed utility power installation and not having to use a generator all day (and night when it's cold) has yielded a construction atmosphere that we have not yet experienced. It's quiet. As we work, we can hear hawks screach, the pileated woodpeckers whoop, and barred owls hoot. For now, this is our subtle reminder of the reason we are doing this.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Another amazing weekend of progress Brettski.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks JHAP
My construction lobe is slightly enlarged and pressing on my ice intelligence lobe. All I could think of while I was on the ladder was how cool it would be to take a walk out on the pond. Staring down, I looked and noted having both boots on. . I felt the rush of confidence that a smack addict has just before he leaps off a 20 story building to fly.

Last edited by Brettski; 01/20/10 06:38 AM. Reason: explanatory link
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
\:D \:D \:D

And here I was thinking that you had missed the "ice intelligence lobe" graphic. Turns out you were just ignoring me.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski

Handling housewrap can be a PIMA, Burger...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'll bet that it's an optical illusion, but my biggest fear from looking at that pic is worrying about the bottom of the ladder slipping out.

Yeah, wrapping vertical walls by yourself are fun.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Let's hope that Brettski's life insurance agent doesn't look at this site, otherwise I'm thinking a premium increase would be in order. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Where's your ladder buddy Brettski!? Are we going to have another "Stupid,stupid,stupid" thread started by you here soon? ;\)

Lunker
Lunker
Hey Bski - how much air blows through the gorilla wrap at the window/etc. holes?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Omaha
Where's your ladder buddy Brettski!? Are we going to have another "Stupid,stupid,stupid" thread started by you here soon? ;\)

2 big ol' OSHA-approved screwdrivers, pounded into the semi frozen ground behind the ladder feet.
-
-
edit; you ain't seen nuthin'. Often, the camera-gal is right up there behind me, handing me a nailgun or something else I either forgot, couldn't carry, or dropped. Makes me think of the 3 stooges skit with the triple bunk beds) \:o

Last edited by Brettski; 01/18/10 02:32 PM. Reason: Dski IS my ladder buddy
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Hey Bski - how much air blows through the gorilla wrap at the window/etc. holes?

Virtually none. That's why I screwed plywood panels into the openings on the larger window openings; to resist higher winds from pushing the G-wrap into the opening.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Brettski is getting safer, look at the rig he started with.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Take a parachute up that ladder just in case?

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Brettski:

Its been several months since I've popped in for a visit to the forum .... man oh man, have you been a busy young lad!

My congratulations to you and Diane on the excellent progress to date.

Its really something to see how encouraging passing a little milestone can be isn't it?

Keep up the good work, you've got something to be very proud of going on there and who knows ... maybe we'll drop in to see your fish someday when I fully retire.

All the best,
Lee

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Lee Smith
My congratulations to you and Diane on the excellent progress to date.

Shhhh, Donnaski doesn't know about Diane.

Oh and don't be such a stranger Lee!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I got an email from my insurance agent. Our homeowner's insurance company wants to do an inspection of the garage/apt. I told her to let them know it's nowhere near completion. They want to do 2 inspections; one during construction and one when it's done. Jeesh.
-
So, I spent this last weekend tightening up the nuts and bolts. There were a number of little structural things that are just fine for now, but might get a crooked look from an inspector. No problem; they needed to be done anyway. Stuff like additional support under point loads (read this as a couple more 2 x 6's glued and nailed to the existing support). Also, all the windows needed one more 2 x 6 header piece (I only put in 2 pc during framing, just to save some time while we were racing against the clock). Anyway, it was a relatively warm weekend with temps into the mid/upper 40's, so working in a sweatshirt was a nice change. Also, and this is a biggie, it was raining on and off so it was VERY nice to have a roof over our head while we puttered along.
-
Part of adding detail framing members includes adding a corner piece for attaching drywall at all the wall corners. Upstairs, there are 7 of these corners (the 8th is in the stairwell and of no immediate concern). Anyway, I want to insulate and seal these corners airtight before we bury them with the 2 x 6 stud. Enter foam-man.

The higher temps and Donna armed with a heat gun helped the the expanding foam to react correctly and fill the corner voids. Next trip, we will trim the excess and attach the corner stud.
-
It also dawned on me that the inspector might be interested in fire protection. Since we installed the main pipe for our dry hydrant some 4 years ago, we never terminated it with any fittings. I decided to put on a 6" threaded female fitting. This will allow total flexibility to add or change the hydrant fitting. I will have to reach out to the local fire department to find out what size fitting they use and make a corresponding hydrant fitting purchase.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hmmm, that's interesting the insurance company wants to do an inspection. Is that because you're building it yourself?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Hmmm, that's interesting the insurance company wants to do an inspection. Is that because you're building it yourself?

I don't think so. I don't believe that fact has gotten that far yet. I actually wonder how they will react to to DIY. I already reviewed their questionaire regarding a fireplace/woodstove. It leads me to believe that they will be looking for a licensed contractor. We will see. It might be time for a new insurance company.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
I already reviewed their questionaire regarding a fireplace/woodstove. It leads me to believe that they will be looking for a licensed contractor. We will see. It might be time for a new insurance company.

My sister and bro-in-law ran into that same problem with a wood stove that was on the enclosed back porch. It was in the house when they bought it, and a few years later the insurance co. said "get rid of it or we won't be able to insure the house for the same rate". They got rid of the insurance company instead.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hmmm, I'm wondering then about all of the homes out there that have wood burning stoves. Based upon what I see driving around Northern California there are a ton of them. Do they all pay an inflated insurance premium because of the wood burning stove?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Or, worse yet, are they aware of the clause buried within the policy that excludes damages caused by an improperly installed woodstove ("improperly" based on insurance company standards)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Winter has finally triumphed. We have been unable to return to our project now for 3 weeks. The beat up driveway combined with snow cover creates an impassable situation for D-ski's 2 wheel drive pick-up truck. I did get in for the last trip by myself and did some "stuff". This included presentation of a dry metal roof that allowed me to "climb back on the horse that (nearly) bucked me off". I got the rake trim installed at one gable end and another piece of 10' ridge installed. Not to be totally outdone, the roof put one over my bow when I allowed a couple of crumbs of snow to sneak up in a crack of my gym shoe. Somewhere near the peak, it melted and created just enough moisture to put one foot back into a slide and scared the crap outta me....again. I got to the point where I would change my shoes every time I came down the ladder; roof shoes and everywhere else shoes. It sucked, it went slow, but it was sure-footed when I really needed it.
-
Anyway....
I wanted to check in. It's been a few weeks. It's kinda funny, but when I started this thread, I said that I was gonna put all our updates on the LNP website. Instead, as it turns out, all the update details wound up here; on the Pond Boss website....and our LNP site kinda went dormant. Well, that's been fixed. I have been picking away at the LNP website and have come about as far as I can to bring it up to speed. It pretty much parallels all the stuff on this thread, perhaps a bit more organized. There are other details there, but it's just a re-mastering of the stuff that's already here.
It is one very long page with many pics, so avoid it if you are already bored with this project AND if you don't have high speed www.

Page 14 of 45 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??