Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (homewardbound, Justin W, Sunil, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 756 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 45 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 44 45
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup

All that's left is to get the 2nd floor buttoned up for the winter? Then it's to concentrate on the electricity?

How come it sounds so easy when it's in text?
I have 11 windows to install, the exterior sheathing at both gable peaks, and.....
(see the next post)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest

So what is the plan of attack going forward?

I gotta go up on the roof and finish the rake trim and vented ridge cap. (arrgggh)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup

A simple safety line would have been wise !

Ewest:

I thought of that as well, but until this morning, couldn't figure out what he could tie it off to. Then I realized he could have pulled the truck to the other side of the building and tied the safety line to the hitch, up and over the peak.

I'll bet that put a couple of grey hairs on him on his pillow!

(text corrected)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Don't tell me you're pulling your hair out while you sleep!?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Dang Brettski, I could just feel the adrenaline rush just reading that. Sometimes we get lucky, some times not. Figure out some safety ropes please.

That being said, once again I marvel at your progress Bski. I think we both chose excellent spouses!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Since you gotta be working up high for a while yet, don't forget those aluminum ladders get pretty slippery with any ice or snow....

Maybe you could rig some sort of pully system or anchor off of the gable end that you could tie the safety line to before you get the siding on the outside of the house? Then take it down when you put up the last piece of siding.

Regarding safety lines, take a look at some of the safety harnesses or vests that they have for deer hunters that hunt out of a treestand. There have been injuries caused by falling with just a safety belt.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
POWER TO THE PONDMEISTER
-
7200 volts, some 2000-plus feet underground thru 2" conduit

-
-
to a transformer located about 75 feet from the structure

-
-
400 amps run thru a trench from the transformer, soon to be hooked into my Saturday morning project of wiring the meter box and auxilliary disconnect

-
-
and thru the wall to the breaker panel. "Oh look, Dski...our first little circuit at LNP. Cute little bugger, ain't it? That 5 year gestation period musta been a killer!"

-
-
(edit; many thanks to bbjr for critical electrical engineering guidance)

Last edited by Brettski; 12/15/09 01:57 PM. Reason: kudos to forum support
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
My first thoughts were thank goodness he choice standing seam. Those screw heads can ouch on the way down.

Last edited by rockytopper; 12/15/09 01:31 PM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: rockytopper
My first thoughts were thank goodness he choice standing seam. Those screw heads can ouch on the way down.

RockyT...always able to find the silver lining

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Very impressive.

Did you use copper or aluminum? If you used aluminum, be sure to coat the ends with an anti oxident.

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
That is a good heart pumping story. I especially liked the happy ending.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Lookin' great Brettski.

A wet 3/12 metal roof is bad enough. You didn't even have any fastener heads to walk on!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We went to the job this weekend with the hopes that I could get back up on the roof to finish trimming it out. I am very concerned to get the ridge cap on, gable to gable. We were only able to install 20 ft of the total 48 ft on our last attempt. In the meantime, any water that hits the roof at the peak can/will seep down behind the metal panels. In the short term, I don't think this will be a huge issue, but I still want it corked up.
-
Upon arriving, it was snow flurries as expected and forecasted. It never stopped all weekend. All roof activities were officially cancelled.
That's not all bad cuz the alternate project is also a huge step of progress.
We brought the truck, packed with 150 feet of 1.250" PVC conduit and 100 feet of 1" conduit, along with all the fittings. 500 feet of 6 ga and a suitable length of 8 ga wire completed the kit.
When the electric company was out last week, during our last day of installing roof panels, the ditch witch trenching rig was on site finishing up the main power installation. I caught the operator on the side and worked a deal to have him cut another trench between the garage (starting right at the same main service that he just finished installing) and running over to our 10 x 12 cabin home. It worked out great.
-

-

-

4 days later, in the flurries of snow, Dski and I laid in the conduit and fittings and pulled the wire. We now have 60 amps into our little temporary living quarters. This really up's the ante for our stays. No more generator...YeeHaw!
It will be the final link to all the other underground wiring we installed last year. We will reverse the wires coming in from the generator shed and send the utility power back to it for lighting and what-not. The wiring out to the covered dock will receive the same AC power benefits. It really ties together all the projects that we have been working on for the past 4+ years.
-
The only "mess" that I had to leave hanging was the entrance of the new conduit into the 10 x 12 cabin. We had to pull up short with the trencher because we were close to the existing underground conduit. There is about 15 feet of hand digging to be done that I just don't have the time for right now, particularly on the cusp of winter.

We will wait until spring when the ground is softer and the weather is more cooperative...and I try to find a day to fight the rock hard clay with a pick axe and shovel. We'll back out the wires and finish the run directly into the shed. In the meantime, tho, keep the inspector away and enjoy the freedom of utility power.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Is the house wired and power available/on ?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I have done nothing to wire the gar/apt; no time. The breaker box is hot, tho, and ready for circuits. The only thing holding me back is time.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Having at least one working circuit in the house might be job one.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Having at least one working circuit in the house might be job one.

got...on a very small scale

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That is a HUGE milestone! Congrats!!!

Just as soon as the frost leaves the ground is the easiest time to hand dig.......

www.hoosierpondpros.com

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
It's getting close to a month since the last update on the house.

Are you still working on it? or are have you stopped for winter? Did you get all the metal on the roof before the snow started? I'm looking forward to pictures of that roof, and how you managed on all those tricky angles. Not a simple roof by any means, and I'm sure with cold, wet and freezing conditions, it might be impossible to work on it until spring time.

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Hey Eddie; thanks for checking in.
We got everything onto the roof except some gable rake trim and 2/3 of the ridge cap. After I nearly slipped and fell during ridge cap installation, the weather went south north and I haven't been able to get back up there. I checked in at metalroofing.com and asked the experts what they thought about the potential of getting some rain and melted snow behind the panels because of the missing ridge cap. It really had me worried. They said that if the felt was in good shape, there should be no problems. For the record, the felt was in great shape.
We haven't been back to the pond project since the week before Christmas; too much snow and our 2 x 4 truck with street tires couldn't handle the badly beaten driveway thru the woods. It appears, tho, that we are heading back into the high 30's/low 40's temperatures and no precip for this weekend. I'm planning my first 2010 trip and hope to get back up on the horse and ride.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Why not work inside and leave the roof until spring. Wire up the bottom so you can be more comfortable. Break up the work with a few snowshoe walks and wildlife observations. Stay off the ice as you don't need any more breaking through the ice events.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I want that roof done; finito! After that, we have to get the exterior protected. That includes installing 11 windows, trim, and siding. Once we get to that point, we can actually cool our heels a bit, take a deep breath, and take a walk thru the woods.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Be sure to use that safty rope and put on warm cloths.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I ushered Donna-ski into 2010 with her first trip back to LNP. It's been 3 weeks off for her; last trip just before Christmas. Her excitement was...well...containable. Working outide in the middle of winter in the midwest didn't help. At least I picked out a weekend with temps in the 30's. That, and the new Sorels Santa brought, punched my winter ticket to ride with my helper.
We went there with the plan to get back up on the roof to finish the trim and ridge cap. The weird weather had a different plan. The melting snow combined with the above freezing temps created fog and saturated atmosphere that kept the roof wet (and slippery) for most of the time. Scratch that idea; I now know better.
We weren't wanting for other things to do, and I knew there was one other project that I have not been looking forward to. The very tops of the gable walls needed to be sheathed and house-wrapped. So, we knocked it out.
It was very slow going, up the ladder, down the ladder, repeat. We basically ran out of ladder height (24 footers) as I moved across the gable wall and got to the center. These center zones required standing on the rung just short of the top and laying face flat against the wall to keep from falling backwards. Yeah, more precarious work demanding concentration and good balance, complicated by heavy insulated boots, snow and ice. I moved slowly and took my time. Only one boo-boo. At the very top of the ladder, I dropped one section of sheathing. It went straight down and stuck into the semi-frozen ground, like a chip into dip, and just stood there like some kooky OSB sculpture. It just missed shearing off the electric meter. I climbed down, pulled it out, and it was unscathed....so up it went again, but this time to be permanently glued and nailed.
-
Any way, this little bit of work at the gables was a small amount of real estate, but a big milestone. We are now 100% dried in.

-

-
Filling in these peaks creates a different feeling when we go inside and upstairs to the living area. For those of you that have been to this point, you know the feeling I speak of. You stand there and look around at this new empty shell and even though the walls are bare naked 2-by stock and the ceiling is nothing but roof trusses right up the roof sheathing, your mind sees much, much more. It reminds me of my first treehouse...just a bit bigger. It's all about having a cool fort. It's a guy thing.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Congrats on getting it buttoned up! Now a torpedo heater will make working inside bearable.

Next weekend doesn't look any better for outside work. \:\(

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 13 of 45 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images