Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,985
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,535
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (jmartin, KenHorton, Swamp_Yankee, Freunb02, phinfan, Boondoggle, liquidsquid), 1,252 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
txelen Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
All,

I've been doing a lot of "cabin fever" fishing research over the winter here in Minneapolis, and I am getting interested in fishing for rainbows and brooks in some of the DNR stocked metro-area lakes come spring.

I have never fishing for trout in a lake before, only streams. I'll be fishing from shore, as I don't own a boat. My research indicates that trout hit the same stuff in lakes as in streams (garden worms on the bottom, tiny spinners and spoons). I'm planning to buy an ultralight spinning setup during these winter sales, and use it for bluegill/crappie in addition to stocked trout.

My main question, for those with experience trout fishing in stocked lakes, is what rod length I should get and what line I should use. I'm thinking that I should get the longest ultralight I can, probably the 7'6" ultralight fast action here. My plan is to use this rod to throw 1/8 ounce kastmasters, which should give me great casting distance and allow me to hit deeper water and more offshore structure than other fishermen. The generic bass pro shops kastmaster knockoffs appeal to me, they're cheap enough that I won't worry about losing some fishing on the bottom. I'm torn between 2# and 4# line. 2# would probably let me cast further and spook the fish less, but I'm not sure if it is strong enough. If there are good braided 4# or 6# lines with 2# diameters that are suitable for this type of fishing, I think that they would be ideal, I could sling spoons and jigs up to 1/4 ounce and really hit deep water once things warm up in June/July to get any last remaining stocked trout. Any other input regarding this situation is greatly appreciated.

Cliff's Notes:

I'll be fishing from shore for stocked trout in a lake.

-Will a longer ultralight rod help me cast further, and are there any drawbacks to a longer rod?

-2# or 4# line, which is better for my situation?

-Should I consider any braided lines, or just monofilament?

As always, thanks for the input and I hope to see you guys on the water!

Ponds in TX, lake place in WI, me in CA
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
two words... stubby steve

usually stockers are small try #2 if really wanting a challenge otherwise don't think 4lb will hurt you use smalle hooks #8.

Last edited by Greg Grimes; 12/31/09 02:13 PM.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd stay away from the braided lines, just because they are more visible to the fish. I'd look into Flurocarbon line, or if you can find some Maxima 3# test line that would be perfect. They make a Ultra Green color in 3# test. I found some here: Ultra Green 3# test

Look for a spinning reel that has a large diameter spool, that will give you some extra casting distance as well. The Cleo wobbler spoons work too, as do Rooster Tail spinners (although they will twist the line if you don't use a really good quality ball bearing swivel. Stubby Steves on a small slip bobber or Berkley Power bait too.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Hey guys, I send you to school - buy you books - give private lessons to teach you what I know, and you still don't understand that a fly rod was invented to toss Stubby Steves?????

ps: A little AQMX 600 chum will bring the fish within casting distance.

Last edited by george1; 12/31/09 05:26 PM. Reason: AQMX 600 chum

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

T
txelen Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: george1
ps: A little AQMX 600 chum will bring the fish within casting distance.

Hmmm... maybe I'll have to take a page from the book of our friends across the sea...

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Finally someone has come up with a fish feeder that actually looks fun to use!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
The longer the rod the longer the cast. The only downside to a longer rod is restricted casting areas due to overhanging limbs etc.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Never fished with Stubby Steve's but it certainly sounds like it is far better than Berkeley Power Bait.

My two best methods for stocked trout in lakes when fishing from the shore has been to use a small swivel. Above it put a small 1/8 to 1/4 oz egg sinker. Below it tie on a leader of about 3 feet. I use a #6 bait holder hook and use a couple different bait methods.

One of my favorites is a night crawler that I use a worm blower to blow some air into it. (be careful you don't explode the worm though) I will sometimes put 1 or 2 kernels of corn or Berkeley Power Bait, but it sounds like Stubby Steve's would be a better option on the hook above the worm. The air blown into the worm makes it float off the bottom and the trout love it.

My other favorite bait is to simply use Berkely Power Bait or Stubby Steve's alone, but I seem to do better when a night crawler is along for the ride.

I think #4 test should be fine unless you have very clear water or are later into the fishing season and the trout are getting hook shy. The #2 test will give you further casting distance though. Fluorocarbon will be even better but is more $... I use a 12' noodle rod and a 10' noodle rod. I can cast them a country mile if needed and the trout are a ton of fun to fight on those longer rods. I am not sure you have to go purchase a special rod to get all that distance though.

T
txelen Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
I'll definitely look into some stubby steves and worm blowers, I have never tried either of those. They sound like good ideas. I'll probably bring my bass/walleye rod rigged up with the egg sinker and a 4 pound leader to try those out.

I'm thinking about replacing the treble hooks on kastmasters with single hooks, so that I can release trout I decide not to keep without tearing them up and also avoid weeds and rocks. I'm not sure what size of hook I should use and what single hooks have eyes large enough to get a split ring through. I guess I'll drive up to the tackle shop at some point and talk them into letting me try putting some different hooks on one of my kastmasters.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:12 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:04 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away