Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,975
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
9 members (highflyer, Kanon M, Theo Gallus, Sunil, catscratch, jludwig, sprkplug, canyoncreek, gehajake), 1,174 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#196505 12/24/09 12:42 PM
L
Lamar Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
O.K., been perusing this site for approx 6 mo. I have gained a lot of good info from these members, but have a problem with those that are consistently negative. For those of you that have a perfect lake, if you can't just give improvement info, STOP YOUR CRITICISM., Some of us don't need that. I have a 5.5 acre lake in west central Ga that I maintain for family and friends(professionally managed). so it bothers me when someone is trying to do his/her best and all I see is negative feedback. Put the concepts out there and let us choose, I turn 68 on Sun 12/27
Had 3X bypass last summer so everything kinda becomes more immediate and precious. Plans for my lake at multiple for this winter to return it to where I think it should be.
My problem with this forum is the fact that negative comments appeear to br directed to a member on board, while there is a neophyte asking a legitimate question. If you want to harass your buddys do it on e-mail or IM let those nlooking for advice
expect only that.
Merry Christmas To All
Lamar

Lamar
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Hi Lamar, welcome from another from west Ga - I'm close to where I-20 goes into AL, where are you? Don't let a few posts determine your opinion of the overall value of this site. Often the forum members are continuing an on-going inside joke and mean no harm. It's a great source of knowledge as I'm sure you would agree.
If you have a specific question, please start another thread and I'm sure you'll get some valuable feedback.
Once again, welcome and we're thankful that you made it thru your surgery. \:\)

Just do it...
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Also, welcome, Lamar. As Randy stated, many forum members have been 'forum friends' for years, have met and sipped a beverage with them, and sometimes we(I for 1 in particular) sometimes take thread hijacking and ribbing to a high level.
I must also add that many of us have stayed around for this long, due to the cyber comraderie. There are only so many times one can seriously answer, 'can I stock fatheads now?' Many answers are in the archives. The forum does have well paid moderators who intercede when they deem necessary.
Thanks for the suggestion. May I now offer a suggestion that maybe at 68 and triple bypass, lighten up some.
I have to admit, you do have nads to come out of the box with a criticism of the forum that has been probably one of the most successful of it's kind.

Merry Christmas to all

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Lamar, best wishes for continued health in the new year.

I'm uncertain as to what you are specifically referring to, but if you can, please point out one or two of the threads you are talking about.

Jump in....the water's fine!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

L
Lamar Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
O.K. maybe a little harsh, maybe in my ol' age have become a little less tolerant, for me I enjoy reading this forum, have gained a lot of good info. Really using this for my base of what I want to accomplish with my "lake". Really have no particular issue with anyone, just when I read some posts,"and I read many", my first thought is "that's a bit harsh", but at the same time can see the connection between you guys and for me see you're kidding each other, that being said maybe I was off base. Will not leave this for will continue to read, pot some and ask questions. My lake is located in Harris Co., Ga about 5 miles from the Chattahoochee river 10 miles SW of Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain, Ga. Knew when I bought this property, was not as advertised as for fishing. Same pond management guy has been handling since inception, and eventually cornered him last month on management, and goal for this lake. he is on board on what AI want to accomplish, and 1st of year will start drawdown, add gravel, and structure. He said when lake was built appros 15 yrs was worried about depth but contractor was looking for every bucket of dirt possible for dam.
So now really have very few good areas for BG bedding as all of pond is deep slope from edge to w/n 6 ft of bank to 8 foot. Abundance of very small bass, 51/2-10 1/2 pounders being caught and released almost no 2-4 pounders.
Sorry for the Rant, right now lake looks like a Georgia mud puddle, last week Columbus, ga surpassed the wettest year on record.
Thanks guys, will try to be more tolerant, and less critical because reading here made me realize "my lake ain't what it should be".
Thanks Again,
have lots to be thankful for entire family from all over US here for Christmas, so really a good year.

Lamar
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Hey Lamar....welcome aboard.
When I first started posting here, that same Burgermeister tore me up a couple of times. (looking back, I earned and deserved it) Anway...we're best pals now. Of course, I had to buy him a fancy fish dinner, but I wrote it off on a company expense report.
Reading his post on this thread, I can already tell that you guys are on your way to sharing Thanksgiving dinner next year.
-
We're glad you're here. I don't know squat about the fish nerd stuff, but there's plenty of fish eggheads here that do. These guys will getcha there.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Welcome Lamar. You have a good birthday - same as my Dad.

This Forum is about helping people and we try very hard to do that. I encourage you to contact any moderator anytime you have a concern about a post. We will be glad to look at it and address any problems. There are rules about how people are to be treated and we strive to follow those with kindness and understanding. Because so many readers can be effected by advice given we have an obligation to point out the pros and cons of suggestions.

Have a happy birthday.

By the way - I know my lakes are not the way I want them as they are and always will be a work in progress.

Last edited by ewest; 12/24/09 05:57 PM.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Welcome Lamar!

I'm in Athens, Georgia.

I'm a fairly new pond owner and I don't know anything at all so, I come here for advice and answers to my incredibly dumb questions. Folks have been pretty nice to me and I really appreciate all the solid advice I've gotten!

Don't be intimidated about asking your questions - if they haven't killed me yet then, they must be a pretty decent bunch. ;\)

Merry Christmas to all!

If you're too scared to throw that bait where the fish are, why did you tie it on?
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Hey Lamar, if you ever have problems with somebody, you can always block them from posting in your topic. I was able to do that to Theo when he started having some crazy images in his signature. I feel he was using them to alter the thoughts of some of our pondboss brethren.

To Dam or not to dam

That isn't even a question
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Only some?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
"Anway...we're best pals now. Of course, I had to buy him a fancy fish dinner, but I wrote it off on a company expense report."

Yep, Brettski bails me out when he sees that I've started a DA thread that is just sitting there teetering on extinction; he comes up with the obligatory post to save my tender feelings.

thanks, bud.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
First thing after Chrismas, let's help Lamar out with his bluegill cover ideas(there are many that the arbiter of archives, that would be EWEST), can beckon. There's also a pretty fair country fisheries manager not too far from you. That would be Greg Grimes.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Lamar, can you get a track hoe, backhoe or small mini-excavator near the pond? If you have the room, you could cut back the banks to create some shallow areas for the BG to spawn in, putting the dug dirt back in the pond to create more spawning area (make the sharp drop-off less steep). Don't make a "pocket", cut the banks back on a gradual radius. BG will spawn on durn near any pond bottom, but they prefer small sized gravel or sandy bottoms.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister

Yep, Brettski bails me out when he sees that I've started a DA thread that is just sitting there teetering on extinction; he comes up with the obligatory post to save my tender feelings.

thanks, bud.

Dang...he did it again. There goes another fancy fish dinner.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Last edited by ewest; 12/25/09 09:02 AM.

L
Lamar Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Merry Christmas To All!!!
First of week will post picture and ideas in pond renovation section, on what pond guy has in mind and my ideas. Yes do have area can get backhoe to and one thing considering, part depends on how much I want to spend this winter, especially since I basically don't fish, but want a great lake for family and friends. Was told once to not criticize unless you are active participant, so that being said will hope this thread dies slow death, and will begin posting in other sections with ideas and looking for advice.
Only look at total of 3 forums on inet, this one most, and most helpful.
See Ya' First Of Week
Lamar

Lamar
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Welcome Lamar, and Merry Christmas!

I can see how a new guy may think there are hostilities on this board. I'll assure you that 99.9% of it is just good natured ribbing, just like we do at work. You have to read between the lines, and not take insults at face value. For example, "mud sucking bottom feeder" basically means "catfish", and is not always meant to be a personal insult.

May the new year bring you the best of health!

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
As you hope, Lamar, this thread, like most others, will probably die a fairly rapid death. But to paraphrase Burger, mooning the entire forum right out of the box is a pretty special approach and is not likely to be guickly forgotten. You'll surely get to laugh more than once about being beaten over the head with the albatross you've tied around your own neck.
Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas!

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Lamar:
As one of the few on this site who are older than you I am willing to forget your first post.

Heck, forgetting is one of the things I do best. It actually gets easier each day.

Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Trust me -- there have been a lot of bad early posts (and good ones). This one is not in the top 100 IMO. I can think of all the sneaky (and not so sneaky) attempts to sell us all something. Seems we never hear from those folks again.

It is good to be reminded from time to time of how we all come across to new participants.

Last edited by ewest; 12/25/09 08:26 PM.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Trust me -- there have been a lot of bad early posts (and good ones). This one is not in the top 100 IMO. I can think off all the sneaky (and not so sneaky) attempst to sell us all something. Seems we never hear from those folks again.

I wonder what happened to that guy.

Bing, forgetting is something that makes life more tolerable. ;\)

Last edited by adirondack pond; 12/25/09 01:48 PM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Trust me -- there have been a lot of bad early posts (and good ones). This one is not in the top 100 IMO. I can think off all the sneaky (and not so sneaky) attempst to sell us all something. Seems we never hear from those folks again.

It is good to be reminded from timt to time of how we all come across to new participants.

ewest, speaking of selling, can I interest you in some African Blue Crappie? \:\)

Welcome to the forum Lamar and thank you so much for the new ammunition...... I think Jhap may have needed to reload!

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Lamar:

No sweat.

Originally Posted By: Lamar
Was told once to not criticize unless you are active participant ...

We get so little criticism from the lurkers. ;\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

It is good to be reminded from timt to time of how we all come across to new participants.

Or start up another forum.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Leave it to Theo to get all philosophical.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:26 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length