Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,064
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,408
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
21 members (e_stallman, FishinRod, esshup, Justin W, Augie, bstone261, jpsdad, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus), 696 guests, and 159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
These are the cable chains I have and they work well but there are many good brands, just make sure they are the type that are easily put on, it will save alot of cussin.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/CABLE_TIRE_CHAI...0;0;2003907;0;0

Yea, you only need low range if your pulling or pushing something heavy, but your tires need to have good traction or you dig yourself a hole.
Glad to hear your adventure didn't cause much damage.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Great stories! Glad you guys are both good to go.

Originally Posted By: adirondack pond

Glad to hear your adventure didn't cause much damage.

Thanks. Yep I learned some lessons:

1. Get snow chains.

2. Cedar is not good fire wood, sure it burns hot, but you need to add logs every hour. Not fun when you do that for two nights in a row. Get some Oak.

3. NEVER EVER taunt mother nature.

4. JWHAP and I are an incredible team together.

5. Even though an out of shape, 51 year old bean counter, when challenged I can rally and accomplish what needs to be done.

6. Humanity is full of bad examples of humans but that is the minority. There are still plenty of wonderful people to go around. My new neighbor is a fantastic guy and actually had fun helping us. DIED called me multiple times and I could tell by the sound of his voice that he was very concerned for us. I know that had he not had his own serious challenges to deal with that he would have driven the 20 or so miles in the snow to our place to check on us, yep he is that kind of friend.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Monday morning we decided to get off the property. I don't have snow chains (a problem that will be rectified immediately) and didn't know how to properly operate my 4Runner in the snow (guess what, I do now!) so off the road the 4Runner went into a snow drift.

This photo was taken Tuesday morning ...

I was afraid that was going to conclude with "after we got back to San Diego." \:o

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JHAP:

The only recommendations that I have about chains is to actually put them on a time or two at home in decent weather. It's no fun trying to figure out how to put them on when it's snowin' and blowin'.

I thought all So. Ca. people had chains if the did any driving in the mountains. I remember going snow skiing a few times and we had to chain up as we went up the mountain, or turn around and go home 4-wheel drive or not. If you've got 4 wheel drive, you need two sets, one for each corner, and don't expect to be setting any speed records.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
JHAP, you are the man! \:\)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
It looks like you had a great trip! You had great weather too, though a little on the warm side.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
For crying out loud JHAP I didn't know you lived at Donner Pass!

\:o

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
When are you going back to the pond?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Esshup, I've never been a snow skier/boarder so I've had no use for chains. I do now! Yep I'll get two sets and funny you should mention practicing putting them on. I've never actually seen chains being attached to a vehicle. I though I'd practice it on a nice summer day to make sure I had the hang of it.

Dr. Dave, thanks. JWHAP and I rallied, got organized and made stuff happen.

Dwight, I know this is whimpy stuff compared to a normal winter at your place. The snow on the ground didn't bother me, it was the temperature inside the living quarters that was tough. We struggled to keep the inside in the 50's and did not succeed at night. I literally slept in two sets of long johns, two sets of socks, topped by a sweat shirt and sweat pants. We just were not set up for temperatures in the 20's. We will be in the future.

Cecil, funny you should mention that. When we were inventorying food and water I told Ricki, "look worst comes to worst we see deer on the property all of the time (we saw three nice deer just outside our fence line Sunday afternoon), it would be messy but I could probably take one down and we could eat it." She told me "I don't want to kill one of our beautiful deer!" I then asked her, "well how do you feel about the guy that lives down the road, he'd probably be easier to bag than a deer anyway."

Ewest, Monday morning after getting the 4RNR stuck and realizing that we might be stuck there for a week or so I told Ricki, no more cold weather trips. Tuesday morning when I realized that we were fine, uncomfortable, but fine, and that this would be a funny story for years to come, I decided to just enjoy the beauty of the surroundings and so I did. I stood at the window with a cup of coffee in hand and watched a large hawk land on a snow covered pine tree it was one of those moments when you realize how very beautiful nature can be. At that moment I realized how blessed we were to own our little slice of heaven. Yesterday we talked about a trip in January. I'll get snow chains, better fire wood and a few other supplies but this certainly hasn't changed how I feel about our place.

Another interesting observation that I had was on Tuesday morning when I was hiking up our road to access the drive ability of it. I came across sets of tracks in the snow. Even this city boy could tell that a kill had taken place. Two converging sets of tracks one large area of disturbed snow in which it was obvious that a struggle had occurred there, and then one set of tracks leaving and drag marks in the snow. I didn't find any blood but then again I didn't looks very carefully. I decided that it was probably wise not to follow the drag marks/exit tracks. I wish I had taken photos, I'll bet you guys could probably look at the tracks and tell me exactly what happened. But then again, maybe I don't want to know. \:o

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Esshup, I've never been a snow skier/boarder so I've had no use for chains. I do now! Yep I'll get two sets and funny you should mention practicing putting them on. I've never actually seen chains being attached to a vehicle. I though I'd practice it on a nice summer day to make sure I had the hang of it.

Drive around Sandy Eggo in them. Start a trend. In three years, every hot rodder, surfer, and gang banger in SoCal will be sporting tire chains on their rides!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Another interesting observation that I had was on Tuesday morning when I was hiking up our road to access the drive ability of it. I came across sets of tracks in the snow. Even this city boy could tell that a kill had taken place. Two converging sets of tracks one large area of disturbed snow in which it was obvious that a struggle had occurred there, and then one set of tracks leaving and drag marks in the snow. I didn't find any blood but then again I didn't looks very carefully. I decided that it was probably wise not to follow the drag marks/exit tracks. I wish I had taken photos, I'll bet you guys could probably look at the tracks and tell me exactly what happened. But then again, maybe I don't want to know. \:o

You didn't see that guy down the road afterwards, did you? \:o

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

You didn't see that guy down the road afterwards, did you? \:o

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Probably nothing more than an angry mountain lion or a hungry bear. Or, it could have been Bigfoot. I understand there have been a number of sightings in your area -- both up north and down south. Lots of good descriptions on this web site: Bigfoot Encounters in California

I'm really glad to hear that you and Ricki made it out OK. Maybe you need to spend more winter time back in PA to get yourself trained in the ways of cold and snow.

Stay Warm,
Ken

P.S. If it makes you feel any better, Lynda slid off US Route 50 (same Route 50 that goes past your pond, but in WV/VA) on Wednesday night in a heavy snow squall that dumped about 3-inches snow in a very short time. No harm to her or the car, and neighbors got her out.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Drive around Sandy Eggo in them. Start a trend. In three years, every hot rodder, surfer, and gang banger in SoCal will be sporting tire chains on their rides!

Only if the snow chains come a Gold/Bling Edition.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Probably nothing more than an angry mountain lion or a hungry bear. Or, it could have been Bigfoot.

I was actually thinking about all of those. Bear, I figured would be hibernating wouldn't they? Plus they only eat honey and berries and never, ever city folk, right?

Mountain lion, could be, we certainly have plenty of them in the area.

Bob Cat is another possibility.

Big Foot, no worries, we're on pretty good terms since our prom date.

Angry Squirrel, very likely, I'm telling you, there are three or four squirrels at are place that I'm sure are stone cold killers.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JHAP:

When you get the chains, I think they also make tensioners to help keep them tight on the wheel.

Drag marks, huh? Interesting. I'm betting on a cat. If the prints were 2" or so in diameter of the chaser, then I think Bobcat. 3" or larger I'd guess Mt. Lion. How far apart were the tracks when the chaser/chasee were running?

Coyotes usually eat on the spot, and you're right, the bears should be hibernating, or close to it by now. If it was a bear, I think the prints would be pretty big in that snow.

If you're prepared, winter is a fun place to visit, but I prefer summer. That's why I like So. Cal.!

I looked at Off Road Warehouse for the chains and tow strap, but couldn't find any on-line. I think Pep-Boys carries chains, or you probably could do a one-stop shop on the internet. With as popular as it is to go out and play in the desert, I'd think that one of the off-road shops in the area would be able to set you right up.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
http://www.jcwhitney.com/CABLE_TIRE_CHAI...0;0;2003907;0;0
You don't even have to move the vehicle to put these on.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 12/11/09 01:42 PM.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Drag marks, huh? Interesting. I'm betting on a cat. If the prints were 2" or so in diameter of the chaser, then I think Bobcat. 3" or larger I'd guess Mt. Lion. How far apart were the tracks when the chaser/chasee were running?

I should have taken photos. I didn't pay enough attention to the size and shape of the tracks. It was interesting because you see a "Y" of tracks coming from different directions and then converging. Where the tracks converged the snow was all disturbed in a random pattern, then one set of tracks led away along with obvious drag marks. This all occurred along the edge of a small meadow area and then the single tracks/drag mark disappeared into the tree line (an undisturbed/natural area of our property that is dense with Cedar trees). I wish I had taken photos.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
http://www.jcwhitney.com/CABLE_TIRE_CHAINS?ID=12;0;1101003832;0;100001;ProductName;11;0;0;0;2003907;0;0

I really like those AP, I've bookmarked that link.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
http://www.jcwhitney.com/CABLE_TIRE_CHAINS?ID=12;0;1101003832;0;100001;ProductName;11;0;0;0;2003907;0;0

They look like they'd take up minimal storage area as well. I'm wondering how they perform compared to regular v-bar chains.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
The cable chains work great, although they are not as aggressive as v-bar or regular chains. The plus is they are quick to put on and less chance of vehicle damage than more aggressive chains.
I've been using them for 5 years and they provide great traction on ice and snow.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Be careful buying cheap chains, (or even 100something dollar chains from Pep Boys)

My friends and I took a trip to Big Bear last Winter and broke/lost our set because apparently they are cheaply made. They were the cable type. I believe called Z chains. We had to buy chains from a 711 at 3 in the morning to get up the final hill to the cabin.

It was an adventure, but definitely a good time.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I made that trip many a time from Oceanside to go skiing. While I also made a number of trips to Mammoth Lakes area, it never was for the skiing, a group of us always went there for the trout opener, and at least a couple more times a year to fish after the opener started the season. A buddy had a time share there.

He would go there for the skiing, and had some horror stories to tell. (like going out the 2nd story balcony door just to be able to get out of the house)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
just got cable back this weekend. ken, thanks for asking. jhap and jwhap had the adventure indeed.....we did ok to, got lucky on several fronts, but all is good... great pics jhap..i didnt take any this go around except this one to remember how freakin cold it got.....

GSF are people too!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Man that is cold DIED - so cold it froze that thing stiff as a rock. Look he is so cold and stiff he can't even reach up and brush the snow off his head. \:D

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I talked to my cousin who lives in Casper and works in the largest open pit coal mine in the U.S. He said last Tuesday night it was -29*F on the thermometer with the winds roaring. They cannot walk the big dragline over frozen ground (company policy) - they have to take a dozer, cut the frozen ground away to unfrozen ground, smooth it out then move the dragline. He said that it was so cold that the ground would freeze before they could get it smoothed out. They got it moved, but it wasn't fun.

If you've seen "Monster Machines" on the discovery channel, about half of that was filmed in their mine.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:28 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:23 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:22 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump