Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Strat, Wholesale septic, Sledgehammer, Tiger4n, Chris22
15035 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15035 Members
36 Forums
34795 Topics
475787 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24012
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 18957
Dave Davidson1 13093
Theo Gallus 12332
Who's Online
9 registered (elnoseface, Brand0, Zep, sprkplug, azteca, John Fitzgerald, catmandoo, highflyer, scott69), 133 Guests and 391 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#19508 - 11/16/06 03:06 PM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
Bender Offline
Lunker

Loc: Michigan
 Quote:
Have any PBoss members purchased any fish from BuyBass hatchery-farm?
The buybass.com website is for Schultz's Fish Hatchery in PA. Anyone have any experience with the perch there?

#19509 - 11/16/06 03:13 PM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
Bender Offline
Lunker

Loc: Michigan
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:
I've gotten the impression that if they grow as advertised :rolleyes: , they could also fly to your pond overnight if you gave good directions.
LOL. Just tell them to fly to the mitten...

I was wondering if these might be a hybrid of some sort. Maybe Jumbo yellow perch and Condor... \:D

#19510 - 11/16/06 03:20 PM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
Shorty Online   content
Lunker

Loc: Raymond, NE
Maybe, they are sorting and then breeding just their top 20% of pellet trained YP year after year. Reminds me of someone I know who is doing something similar with just male BG. ;\)

disclaimer: see the big "Maybe" at the begining of this post one more time. ;\)

#19511 - 11/16/06 03:41 PM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
Sunil Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

Loc: Somerset, PA
I called Schultz's and asked him what the big secret was all about.

He just replied "I know nothing, I know nothing, I know nothing..."

#19512 - 11/16/06 08:09 PM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
Bill Cody Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Northwest Ohio - Malinta OH
Sunil,,, Honestly, is that all he would tell U about his perch?

#19513 - 11/16/06 08:35 PM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
Sunil Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

He mumbled something about Colonel Klink too.

#19514 - 11/16/06 08:57 PM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
ewest Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

Loc: Miss.
Yea and I bet they have old Hogan the YP Hero caged up in the place. :p

#19515 - 12/01/06 03:29 PM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
JHM Offline
Lunker

My best YP hook and line was 13 3/8".
I've seen a few honest 15" YP.
And I've seen TONS of them.
All the above were in tidal rivers.

YP seem to grow very slowly.We stock fry at day 5 or 6 post hatch,into fertilized ponds, and it takes about 40 days before they are big enough to harvest and bring inside.And they are still SMALL at this point.
They do take to artificial feed quickly and easily,but still seem to grow slow.I've never kept any beyond about 3 months of tank culture (so a little less than 6 months of age),but most are still less than 3".
They maybe COULD really put on a growth spurt later on,but I doubt it.

I'd LOVE to see a real 20" YP.

#19516 - 01/19/07 09:42 AM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
JoeG Offline
Lunker

Loc: Cambridge Springs, PA
I'd like to see a real 20 inch perch too, I don't believe they exist. I have seen a couple fish 15 inches plus out of Lake Erie and Lake Simcoe in Ontario, but never seen one that broke the 16" mark, and obviously no 20+ fish. If they get that big in a lake, I don't think they are readily caught as they would feed on larger prey and most perch anglers don't sit around with larger bait waiting for one, that's just my opinion.

Be a fountain in life, not a drain....

#19517 - 01/19/07 06:40 PM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
Captain1 Offline
Lunker

Loc: East Texas, Mineola
I grew up in Erie, Pennsylvania and remember one spring fishing outing with my father where we were fishing in the Erie bay and caught huge yellow perch. We had fished many times and caught many perch, but this particular time they were gigantic and all were in the 14-15 inch range. We were approached by a fish commissioner officer (which are like state police in PA) that thought we were catching walleye out of season when he looked at our stringer. I recall his surprise when he realized they were perch. They were very brightly colored perch - more so than usual. We refer back to these perch as "lake run" perch, wondering if they came in from deep in lake Erie depths to spawn in the spring. Now as a Texas resident with a new lake I envy those of you in climates that can stock YP!

#19518 - 01/19/07 10:15 PM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
Sunil Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

Captain1, it's funny you mention the PA Fish & Game Commission officers.

Former Pittsburgh Steeler Jack Lambert is a PA Fish & Game officer. While I've never met him, I've heard he's pretty hard core.

#19519 - 01/19/07 11:31 PM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
gunsmoke Offline

Loc: Plano for now, Lufkin soon?
I've seen a 17" yellow perch caught in Lake Michigan during Salmon-A-Rama. It was over 20 years ago though. I couldn't believe it was a perch!!!!!! I thought the same thing that warden thought, walleye for sure but had never seen one that far south in Lake Michigan. Door County yes, but not off of Racine. I doubt a 20 incher exists any longer. The Wisconsin record is over 3 pounds and I'll bet that was over 20". The next closest YP I've seen at the contest was only 14 inches. Had a gullet full of smelt I'd bet. Miss the smelt fishing dang it. Go out at night, catch YP off the rocks and dip net for smelt while you're at it. At times you could get a 5 gallon bucket full in one pull!!! Salmon pretty much have eaten most of them. \:\(

Funny, I just reread the first page and see that quite possibly the perch I saw come out of Lake Michigan is the one that Bender wrote about. Small world! OK, so it wasn't 20 years ago, it was 13. I knew I was in my 20's. Man I'm getting old.

It had nowhere near the belly that the pictures show. This thing looked like a 3 pound walleye.

#19520 - 01/20/07 01:19 AM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
Cecil Baird1 Offline
Hall of Fame

Lunker

Loc: Northeastern Indiana
A 3 lb. perch doesn't have to be 20 inches. Mine was only 16 1/4 at 2 lbs. 13 oz. If I would have waited and caught her at peak spawning weight packed with eggs she would have easily gone 3 lbs. Here's a pic of her if you haven't seen it:

#19521 - 01/20/07 10:58 AM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
gunsmoke Offline

Cecil, that is an absolutely amazing looking fish. I could only dream of catching one like that. The bigun I saw was long and thick, not bottom heavy like that. The colors on your fish are much brighter too. Yours LOOKS like a perch. Congratulations bud, once in a lifetime.

#19522 - 01/20/07 11:13 AM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
Bruce Condello Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: United States
You are looking at, without a doubt, one of the best yellow perch ever caught on film. Most experienced yellow perch fisherman will go to their graves without seeing something like that.

I've got a patient who fished for years and caught a true two-pounder which he promptly had mounted. He's so proud of it. Imagine this fish is forty percent bigger.

#19523 - 01/20/07 11:58 AM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
Cecil Baird1 Offline
Hall of Fame

Lunker

Thanks for the kind words Bruce. Wish there was some way I could fly it down with me to the convention in one piece. It's in a glass case. Shipping scares me with all that glass.

#19524 - 01/20/07 02:21 PM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
gunsmoke Offline

Cecil, I wouldn't EVER move that thing!!!!!! I agree with Bruce, simply awesome. And like I said, much more impressive looking than the one caught out of Lake Michigan. All the more reason to keep it safe!

Maybe, if you wanted to bring it to shows, have an exact replica made of it. Don't know the cost but it can definitely be done. When people ask if it's real, tell 'em you just wanted others to share it with without compromising the original.

#19525 - 01/20/07 03:22 PM Re: Monster Perch at buybass.com
Cecil Baird1 Offline
Hall of Fame

Lunker

Quote:
Originally posted by gunsmoke:
Cecil, I wouldn't EVER move that thing!!!!!! I agree with Bruce, simply awesome. And like I said, much more impressive looking than the one caught out of Lake Michigan. All the more reason to keep it safe!

Maybe, if you wanted to bring it to shows, have an exact replica made of it. Don't know the cost but it can definitely be done. When people ask if it's real, tell 'em you just wanted others to share it with without compromising the original.
Actually it's pretty much too late to make a replica. I could even do it myself but it would destroy the fish. I weighed the option of making a replica at first but didn't want to destroy the orginal fish.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Today's Birthdays
Bill Cook, Bossone, hugh greer, Kris C5
Recent Posts
100% Green Sunfish
by Jim Wetzel
06:16 PM
Southern Specklebelly Sunfish - SSS
by Jim Wetzel
06:11 PM
Crayfish for human consumption.
by Jim Wetzel
05:57 PM
Brush PIle for Pond
by 2blade
04:17 PM
A pond dedicated to Redear Sunfish
by John Fitzgerald
01:44 PM
Dave Davidson Gift Keeps On Giving!
by FireIsHot
11:53 AM
Another Otter bites the dust
by snrub
10:17 AM
"policy" on old content resurrection?
by sprkplug
07:50 AM
Best Source For Large Redears............
by snrub
11:56 PM
Known Hybrids Based on Pumpkinseed Dam
by sprkplug
10:31 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Sand Quarry
Cactus Blum Ranch proposed pond
Cactus Blum Ranch proposed pond
Cracked Valve Housing
Indoor Dwarf Sagittaria tank.
#MAFA