Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Bender Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Have any PBoss members purchased any fish from BuyBass hatchery-farm?
The buybass.com website is for Schultz's Fish Hatchery in PA. Anyone have any experience with the perch there?

B
Bender Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:
I've gotten the impression that if they grow as advertised :rolleyes: , they could also fly to your pond overnight if you gave good directions.
LOL. Just tell them to fly to the mitten...

I was wondering if these might be a hybrid of some sort. Maybe Jumbo yellow perch and Condor... \:D

Lunker
Lunker
Maybe, they are sorting and then breeding just their top 20% of pellet trained YP year after year. Reminds me of someone I know who is doing something similar with just male BG. ;\)

disclaimer: see the big "Maybe" at the begining of this post one more time. ;\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I called Schultz's and asked him what the big secret was all about.

He just replied "I know nothing, I know nothing, I know nothing..."

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Sunil,,, Honestly, is that all he would tell U about his perch?

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
He mumbled something about Colonel Klink too.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yea and I bet they have old Hogan the YP Hero caged up in the place. :p

J
JHM Offline
Lunker
Lunker
J
My best YP hook and line was 13 3/8".
I've seen a few honest 15" YP.
And I've seen TONS of them.
All the above were in tidal rivers.

YP seem to grow very slowly.We stock fry at day 5 or 6 post hatch,into fertilized ponds, and it takes about 40 days before they are big enough to harvest and bring inside.And they are still SMALL at this point.
They do take to artificial feed quickly and easily,but still seem to grow slow.I've never kept any beyond about 3 months of tank culture (so a little less than 6 months of age),but most are still less than 3".
They maybe COULD really put on a growth spurt later on,but I doubt it.

I'd LOVE to see a real 20" YP.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I'd like to see a real 20 inch perch too, I don't believe they exist. I have seen a couple fish 15 inches plus out of Lake Erie and Lake Simcoe in Ontario, but never seen one that broke the 16" mark, and obviously no 20+ fish. If they get that big in a lake, I don't think they are readily caught as they would feed on larger prey and most perch anglers don't sit around with larger bait waiting for one, that's just my opinion.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I grew up in Erie, Pennsylvania and remember one spring fishing outing with my father where we were fishing in the Erie bay and caught huge yellow perch. We had fished many times and caught many perch, but this particular time they were gigantic and all were in the 14-15 inch range. We were approached by a fish commissioner officer (which are like state police in PA) that thought we were catching walleye out of season when he looked at our stringer. I recall his surprise when he realized they were perch. They were very brightly colored perch - more so than usual. We refer back to these perch as "lake run" perch, wondering if they came in from deep in lake Erie depths to spawn in the spring. Now as a Texas resident with a new lake I envy those of you in climates that can stock YP!

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Captain1, it's funny you mention the PA Fish & Game Commission officers.

Former Pittsburgh Steeler Jack Lambert is a PA Fish & Game officer. While I've never met him, I've heard he's pretty hard core.

G
G
I've seen a 17" yellow perch caught in Lake Michigan during Salmon-A-Rama. It was over 20 years ago though. I couldn't believe it was a perch!!!!!! I thought the same thing that warden thought, walleye for sure but had never seen one that far south in Lake Michigan. Door County yes, but not off of Racine. I doubt a 20 incher exists any longer. The Wisconsin record is over 3 pounds and I'll bet that was over 20". The next closest YP I've seen at the contest was only 14 inches. Had a gullet full of smelt I'd bet. Miss the smelt fishing dang it. Go out at night, catch YP off the rocks and dip net for smelt while you're at it. At times you could get a 5 gallon bucket full in one pull!!! Salmon pretty much have eaten most of them. \:\(

Funny, I just reread the first page and see that quite possibly the perch I saw come out of Lake Michigan is the one that Bender wrote about. Small world! OK, so it wasn't 20 years ago, it was 13. I knew I was in my 20's. Man I'm getting old.

It had nowhere near the belly that the pictures show. This thing looked like a 3 pound walleye.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
A 3 lb. perch doesn't have to be 20 inches. Mine was only 16 1/4 at 2 lbs. 13 oz. If I would have waited and caught her at peak spawning weight packed with eggs she would have easily gone 3 lbs. Here's a pic of her if you haven't seen it:

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
G
Cecil, that is an absolutely amazing looking fish. I could only dream of catching one like that. The bigun I saw was long and thick, not bottom heavy like that. The colors on your fish are much brighter too. Yours LOOKS like a perch. Congratulations bud, once in a lifetime.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You are looking at, without a doubt, one of the best yellow perch ever caught on film. Most experienced yellow perch fisherman will go to their graves without seeing something like that.

I've got a patient who fished for years and caught a true two-pounder which he promptly had mounted. He's so proud of it. Imagine this fish is forty percent bigger.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks for the kind words Bruce. Wish there was some way I could fly it down with me to the convention in one piece. It's in a glass case. Shipping scares me with all that glass.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
G
Cecil, I wouldn't EVER move that thing!!!!!! I agree with Bruce, simply awesome. And like I said, much more impressive looking than the one caught out of Lake Michigan. All the more reason to keep it safe!

Maybe, if you wanted to bring it to shows, have an exact replica made of it. Don't know the cost but it can definitely be done. When people ask if it's real, tell 'em you just wanted others to share it with without compromising the original.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by gunsmoke:
Cecil, I wouldn't EVER move that thing!!!!!! I agree with Bruce, simply awesome. And like I said, much more impressive looking than the one caught out of Lake Michigan. All the more reason to keep it safe!

Maybe, if you wanted to bring it to shows, have an exact replica made of it. Don't know the cost but it can definitely be done. When people ask if it's real, tell 'em you just wanted others to share it with without compromising the original.
Actually it's pretty much too late to make a replica. I could even do it myself but it would destroy the fish. I weighed the option of making a replica at first but didn't want to destroy the orginal fish.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images