Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,007
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Sunil, SetterGuy, Dave Davidson1, catscratch, Boondoggle, jmartin), 919 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#194563 12/07/09 12:36 PM
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to tag some of my fish to monitor growth better, Suggestions? Thank you all.

take a kid fishing the first catch creates a life long fisherman. (my dad)
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Good idea to search old threads we just spoke about this subject last week. We are getting some very useful information from tagging clients bass. Here is my suggestion and you will not find a better price.
http://lakework.com/cart/index.php?p=product&id=29&parent=7

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
Thank you must have missed that still getting used to the site. I love this place so much great advice.

take a kid fishing the first catch creates a life long fisherman. (my dad)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm a satisfied customer of Greg's using the numbered floy tags.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #197378 01/01/10 02:57 PM
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah i bought Gregs kit a couple of months ago and it's a good product and the price is as good as I could find for everything you get.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 #198799 01/10/10 06:23 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
can someone go into that tagging system for me in lamens terms

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Lunker
Lunker
Try this thread for Fish Tagging info:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=24354

Also, here are a couple of pics of a RES which I recaught twice after tagging. IIRC the tag placement was not ideal.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/13/16 10:26 AM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Will be investing in a kit here before spring.

I think a good Youtube video would be perfect for the fish tagging 101 link. Anyone up for it!

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Ok good idea we have yout tube vids in the works for many applicaitons and not thought of it for tagging. Get on my case if I do not have one up by mid Feb.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Here it is. Let me know if helpful or what we did not cover or if there are still how to tagging questions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVhpPSJgSYQ

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Greg,

EXCELLENT Video!!!! This needs to go in the Q&A archives for sure.

One question, it appears that you are angling the needle forward at about a 45 degree angle or more correct. The fish doesn't look very wide im just wondering how close the needle gets to sticking through to the opposite side of the fish? I guess what im asking is you want the needle to stick all the way through the center of the the back to the opposite side to insure the tag catches correctly?

Finally, also, upon pulling the trigger on the gun it appears that the needle jumps backwards out of the fish about a 1/4 inch. Is this correct?

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I have not noticed the kickback until I watched the video. It normally does nto really do that. It did not appear that way when we used our older scissor style.

You do not want to go thru the fish and you do not even do that on a thin bluegill. We used are dink bass are test pilots for this video, they are about to hit the frying pan.

You are correct you angle the needle forward so as as to not go through the fish. The tags are caught on the rays that extend down into the fish tissue.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
So let me ask this quick. From everything I have read my one acre pond give or take on an average should be able to handle around 50lbs of bass. And lets say I would like to have 7 or 8 of those bass 2 to 3 lbs. Could I then tag about 20 to 22 bass and keep record of them and anything else I catch that's a bass I should get rid of? Does my theory make any since or am I way off?

Thanks,

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 #200232 01/22/10 10:37 AM
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
assuming the bass does not lose the tag yes I think that is correct. You can do this cheaply if you did not want to track individual growth (although I woudl suggest doign that as well) by using the colored tags. I actually want to take a client with many ponds and do a smaller one just like you mentioned, stock with female bass with tags and if something happens easy policy-remove any without tags.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Greg, take a look at this link to view a skeleton.
http://www.infovisual.info/02/034_en.html

Your are basically trying to insert the tag through the "radial cartilage" or are you angling both forward and downward towards the "neural spines?"

Regardless of which one in both cases it seems its important to insert the needed past the "center" of the fish towards the opposite side to insure it catches correctly?

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Chad great diagram. I may have to copy that link. Just through the radial cartilage. We are amking it seem complicated, with a few tries you will catch on. WHen you pull the tag it will pop out if not between the cartilage and I have had that happen before when going to fast doing lots of fish at once.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Greg thanks for the reply. I believe that is what I am going to do this year. Or at least try. I am not looking for monster bass just some nice ones with some smaller ones that's all. I am excited to get going and give this a try.

Thanks again,

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Chad asked this so others might have similiar question so answered it here. "I see on your website its basically $60 for the gun and $70 for the tags.

Is the $70 for 100 numbered tags or not? What do just 100 non-numbered tags cost? I haven't decided which route i want to go?

Also what are all the tag options as far as what colors are avaliable with either numbered or not?"

If you click on the numbered tags in the desciption it mentions tags numbered 1-100. Yes 100 numbered tags. We also have tags starting at hihger numbers for repeat orders. We have a decent selection of colors we like orange and yellow the most seems they show up. The unnumbered tags are not on the website because not a money maker but 100 colored tags are $6. We buy in bulk to get the better pricing so we are limited on color choices but right now have green red yellow and orange. The colored tags come in many clolors and if willing to pay a little more on shipping can get any colors numbered or not shipped in with some notice. thanks

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
thanks greg i just found my fish tagging system and now know how to use it

james holt #217655 05/18/10 08:16 AM
C
Fingerling
Fingerling
C
What is the recommended location for tagging Channel Catfish with Floy-tags? I've seen some pictures of a tag being inserted all the way through the dorsel fin so that the T-Bar is visable from the other side. Seems like these would be easily lost. Hate to punture their tough skin. Anyone have any experience tagging channel cats? Detailed photos of the tags would be helpful!

BTW - I have an application on my Iphone called Fishing Calendar or "FISHCAL". ($3.99 itunes) It has mixed reviews, but for tagging and recording fish it is PERFECT. I catch a fish and tag it. Then I take a picture of that fish next to measuring tape, weigh it, and toss it back. You can then put in the extra details of the catch, such as weight, length, location (can be found automatically by GPS), weather, bait and more. All of my fish are stored by Tag number and are sorted by dates caught and I can see them all with a flick of the finger. When I recatch a tagged fish I log it in again as the same tag number and RECATCH. Then I can go back see the history. It really makes it fun to have all of this information and photo's at your fingertips. And since it's my phone, I always have it with me. Love technology!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's a good question. The last time I stocked CC, I just removed the adiopse fin as I wanted to track year class.

That's a good feature for the phone. That's another reason to get a better phone when this one dies.

FWIW, the yellow floy tags from Greg are still visible on swimming fish a year after tagging.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #217761 05/19/10 06:01 AM
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I looked but can't find the picture but I have tagged and recaptured catfish tag at the base of the tail fin. Scott we just sold tag guns to Alaska fish and game. It is so stragne to me how overall we have few website sales but some folks find us from far away places.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
esshup #217779 05/19/10 08:03 AM
C
Fingerling
Fingerling
C
Originally Posted By: esshup
FWIW, the yellow floy tags from Greg are still visible on swimming fish a year after tagging.

I started tagging back in September of 09. Tagged just about 25 LMB. Of the four we have recaught with tags so far this year, the Floytags were almost invisable due to the green algae on them. It was not a simple task to just pull or wipe the algae off. I had to use my fingernail and scrape all the algae off the yellow floy-tag to be able to read the tag number. I am surprised with this growth after only 8 months.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
CW I agree about algae growth but point is you can still read them after many years with a fingernail scrap. I have seen many other tags over the years and none of them perfrom as well. The floy tag had a film over the numbers to protect the printed numbers.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
Scott we just sold tag guns to Alaska fish and game. It is so stragne to me how overall we have few website sales but some folks find us from far away places.

Did they want you to come up there and show them how to use it?

Alaska is on the "must do" list.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by SetterGuy - 04/29/24 07:02 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Willy Wonka - 04/29/24 05:23 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
Concrete pond construction