Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
Thought I would share something my cousin and I put together to keep track of the fish in our lakes. The idea and the average weight/length chart was given to me by Walter @ Texoma Fisheries. The back (lake maps) are printed so that in a 3-ring binder you can look at the lakes while filling out the form. We printed on Rite in the Rain all-weather paper and use waterproof pens.

The format changed a little when I converted it from pdf to jpeg, but it still looks okay.

http://www.pbase.com/sturkierobbins/image/118335498
http://www.pbase.com/sturkierobbins/image/118335666

I subscribe.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Cool setup, Cathedral. That pretty well takes away any excuses for not tracking your fish population.

Did you guys create the template yourselves using a relative weight scale from somewhere? And I assume this is just for LMB, correct?

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
That is first class. I hope you don't mind that I lifted those images and saved them for my own future use.

3 Ponds: 8.5 acres, 1.5 acres, 0.5 acres
C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
Walter sent us some data via excel for the relative weight scale and we did the bar graph and all the other graphics in Adobe CS4. One thing I should point out is the graph is not completely lined up with length columns, but close enough for us. If anyone wants the pdf I can send it to them - from there you can remove the Sturkie Ranch language if desired.

When various family and friends fish, they take out a kit with them. The kit includes a 3-ring binder with clock glued on the front and a measuring tape in the front pocket. They also take a culling stinger or bucket with them - the easier it is for them, the more likely they are to record the fish they catch.

As you can see on the bottom of the front page, we are culling all 11-15 inch bass. We also take notes for crappie caught, but right now we only have crappie in one lake. Based on information we have tracked over time, we have determined there is a crappie problem so we cull all crappie. We also noted that the bass approaching 15 inches were too lean, thus the removal of this size.

I subscribe.
C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
Just missed your post Bodock - please feel free to use. They may come out just fine as jpeg's, but if you want the pdf please let me know.

I would also appreciate some feedback on the l/w graph at he top. Is it reasonably accurate for my location, SE OK just north of the Red River?

I subscribe.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nice job. Will you be taking weights and if so how recorded ? Another helpful bit of info is a one word description of condition ( good , avg. or bad for example)

C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
Ewest, unfortunately my cousin favors a 'catching' log over a 'lake management' log. I use the lure section to record actual weight, girth, condition of fish, etc.

We had other versions, but people were weighing some fish and measuring others. Plus, as my wife said 'they all look good to me...' In the end it was hard to get comfortable with the subjective data. I usually have them send me pictures of a few of their catches and judge for myself.

I subscribe.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That is a good idea that I also started this past year. Here is a chart you might enjoy.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Thanks for posting that Cathedralmtnbass, very professional looking!

Originally Posted By: cathedralmtnbass
When various family and friends fish, they take out a kit with them. The kit includes a 3-ring binder with clock glued on the front and a measuring tape in the front pocket. They also take a culling stinger or bucket with them - the easier it is for them, the more likely they are to record the fish they catch.

Also a great idea! You didn't mention it but I am assuming that the kit includes a scale as well. Great set up!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
What type of scale are people using for weighing?

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I went the cheap route and bought one similar to this:
cheep scale

What I don't like about it is that you have to poke a hole in the fish to hang them.... I ended up getting a bag like they use in fish tournaments and use that along with the scale. I'm leaning toward getting one with a pan on it so you don't have to "hang" the fish. I don't know how effective that will be if they want to flop around.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
my sales pitch
http://lakework.com/cart/index.php?p=product&id=112&parent=12
much time was spent on this. We took serious time to findout whtat we thought was most user friednly. We bought in bulk and it saves quite a bit of $ if bought seperate. Keep it up all measurements you do will help reach your goals.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks for the scale input. Greg, with your scale, how did you handle the fish flipping out problem? I agree with Esshup that poking a hole is not ideal. This will be my first Spring and the fish will not weigh that much (no 5 pounders yet!).

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Coach a few will just flop. Not got a good way to combat that. I feel better about that than hanging scale with flopping close to gills. We shocked over 100 lakes this year and weigh a bunch of bass so % wise not that high although very frustrating with a flopping fish for sure. The accuracy is so important especially only smaller fish. This is why we use this type scale also and report in grams not having to worry about ounces then %ounces, etc. After one use you are over the change to gram deal.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??