Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (IND1371, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Sunil, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 751 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
A
I just bought a piece of property that has a pond, maybe 3/4 acre according to the survey. 12 feet at the deepest, edges quite shallow. This is an old cow pond, never touched until now. The pond is fishable, however the fish tend to be small bullhead. There supposedly are some bass, turtles, frogs, minnows and bluegillin the pond, I think stocked in the past by the DNR but I have yet to catch those. Pond stays muddy, visible to about a foot on a good day. I have been watching this site ever since discovering it and sense that I might have a bullhead problem. Doubt I can catch enough to make a difference. I don't have a lot of money to spend on the pond, and with the lack of rainfall hate to pump the pond dry and start from scratch to get rid of these vermin. So my questions:

Should I learn to like bullheads? The kids like catching them.

What are the procedures for Retonene<sp>? Can these be killed off along with everything else in the pond? When should I do this? What kind of work is it? (I have visions of thousands of dead fish... there goes the neighborhood.)

Where do I get some really big fish to eat everything else.. Bass, Flatheads, Channel Cat, etc?

Any advice would be appeciated.

Kyle

Last edited by Alabama Pnd Man; 08/21/08 11:52 AM.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Kyle, I have a few ponds with bullhead. I have just learned to live with them. Anytime I catch one it does not go back in the pond. If you get really mad at them get a bunch of kids, cane poles, and a can of worms.

Retonene requires a license to use, thats about all I know about it.

just my $.02, hope this helps

Get out and fish.
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Howdy, Kyle, and welcome to the forum.

Rotenone works by causing the fish to suffocate. Like Jake indicated, it is not a DYI proposition. You would be killing every fish in the pond IIRC, as I don't think Bullheads are particularly sensitive to rotenone. If you want to pursue that route, you would be ahead to lower the water level in the pond first (say, by a siphon over the dam) so that less rotenone (and hence less $) is needed.

Since you just bought the place, why not you and the kids fish it a bunch and see just what kinds and sizes of fish you have in it. Remove every BH caught and try eating some of the ones that are big enough - they're supposed to be among the best tasting of catfish.

If the pond is very low on predators (bass), adding them in addition to fishing may well get your BH under control - at least to where the BH you catch in the future are eating size.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Not having a lot of $ to spend on the pond isn't all that unusual around here. Rotenone application and re-stocking can be fairly expensive but it is a sure thing.

Get to know your pond and then hammer them if you consider them a problem. A Cub Scout Group with someone to take the fish off the hook or at least clip a top fin can be of some value. A couple of large traps can also make a difference and they make good garden fertilizer.

I have found that if you are truly infested with them, they will dominate everything else. If you are not satisfied with your ability to control them through trapping and fishing, you might do some good with a mess of 6 to 12 inch bass. This may be the only time that I would recommend adding bass to a pond of less than 2 acres. Whup'em over time.

Hey, welcome to PB. Have fun and don't sweat the small stuff.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 08/22/08 05:53 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
There are some inexpensive trapping methods also.

Take a plastic garbage can with a lid. Cut a hole the size of a soda can in the lid. Then secure the lid to the garbage can with some wire.

Put some kind of bait like fish food, bread, or roadkill in the can and sink it in the pond. Have a rope tied to the garbage can and the shore. Let the can sit for a few hours, then quickly haul it in and see what you get.

You may have to experiment with the best places to sink the can.

It does work, but you have to keep at it.

This in conjunction with getting some bigger bass in there will start to reduce the bullhead numbers, along with removal by fishing of course.

While it's not very recommended to stock your pond with fish from other waters, you can catch bass elswhere and put them in your pond; this would be the most cost effective way of getting more bass.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

A
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
A
Thanks for the ideas. I will keep up with fishing them out, trapping sounds good too. Not a lot of kids out here to open up the fishing to. Another question, actually two. 1. How hard are the Bull Head on other fish if I want to stock other fish? 2. And, this one might be trickier, how do I keep fishing worms alive and on site for the kids I do allow to fish. Buying them at WalMart gets a bit expensive. Could I build a worm bed somehwere? Lots of dead timber and good dirt around. Might be a place to throw coffee grinds or kitchen waste also. Any plans or ideas?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Bullheads can eat most any other type of fish that they can fit into their nasty, nasty mouths.

So let's say you were going to stock some 3" long fish. A lot of those 3" fish are going to get eaten by the bullheads.

Of course, there are some species of fish that may be able to avoid being eaten by bullheads better than other species.

Basically, the bullheads are another mouth to feed at the expense of you and the other 'desired' fish in the pond.

On the worm issue, there have been a few very informative threads about raising and keeping worms, but you'd have to search for them.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Has anyone tried a variation on a pound net to trap fish? Friends of mine use them here on the bay to make a living, so I wonder how well they might work on a smaller scale. Here's a good diagram from the MD DNR.
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/commercial/poundnet.html

Last edited by sullpond; 08/23/08 06:02 AM. Reason: not enough coffee
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
A LONG time ago, I read a book called "How To Get Out Of The Rat Race And live On $10 A Month." In it, it described dumping 'tennis-court lime' in a stream to kill trout and pick them up down stream. If I remember right, the tennis court lime was suppose to eliminate the oxygen out of the water, stunning the fish. Any thoughts from the Scientists here? As I have posted in the past, I too have a yellow-bullhead 'issue' and even observed several hundred or more fry in a black cloud cruizing the edge of my pond this year...

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I had always heard excess lime would clog the gills causing suffocation, then you come on this site and they say dump it in by the ton, I am guessing these would be two different kinds of lime.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Aglime (tiny pieces of limestone) = safe by the ton. Very slow release.

Hydrated lime (very fine powder) = very dusty, used to kill fish sometimes. Quick release, affects ponds much, much faster.

There are chemical differences as well as the physical ones. Try breathing both of them by accident and the difference is obvious.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I suppose a good test would be to take a BG or small Bass in a gallon jar and "experiment" with meassured doses. If nothing else, you could laugh like a mad-man and keep the HandyCam rolling and possibly sell the movie rights??? (-:

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
A few weeks ago I noticed little clouds (schools) of small black catfish looking critters. Now I know they are black bullheads. This is a new pond (January) that I stocked with 10 of Overton's Hybrid Stripers and 100 CNB. Nothing else. We had a huge flooding rain a couple of months ago and I think the suckers may have flooded over from my neighbors cattle pond that is loaded with them. I have been trapping them with a minnow trap with bologna and hot dogs. They are only about an inch long but they are everywhere.

I talked with Todd Overton and he suggested some adult LMB to control them. I just got back from his place and stocked the .2 acre, .5 acre feet pond with 15 of his beautiful 1 1/4 lb LMB . I hope they are hungry. I am going to continue to trap what I can. They have not showed up in the sister pond which is larger (.4 acres). I do have a screen on the 18" pipe that joins the 2 ponds.

Let us hope for the best. Any other suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by Billfish; 06/27/09 04:27 PM.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Stay with what Todd says.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Todd's advice is about the only option I see feasible to keep the bullheads from completely taking over.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
On a side note, there are way too many pictures of Clint on that link to the stocker LMB.

B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
Hi my name is andrew and me and my father love bullheads and we r willing to come and fish as many as we can out for u if u will just e mail me at Southern_Styles_69@yahoo.com thank u

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday