Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,253
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,569
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, FishinRod, Fishingadventure, KiwiGuy, teehjaeh57, phinfan, Boondoggle, x101airborne, lafarmpondguy), 814 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#193718 11/29/09 01:17 AM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
As you may be aware - I have Muskrats at the pond. Rex believes he saw one and demonstrated what he would have done to it with his pistol using my my PVC as an example, or was it a metaphor?...at any rate, this story has already been well documented. Weeks later I began to see cattails floating around the pond - all of them chewed off at the base - a sure sign of Rats. Yesterday I was working a shovel behind my HBC pond, trying to create a primary channel into the Main pond so it's not such a sloppy mess back there, and looked up the creek arm of the Main pond and saw a wake coming across the water about 100 feet away - swimming from bank to bank. I don't own a handgun, and never walk around the property armed, still I cursed myself for not having anything with which to dispatch this little varmit. I crouched down and decided to wait for it's approach - if I felt so inclined I suppose I could dive in and wrassle the little bastardo into submission. As luck would have it, here it came, hugging the shoreline and making a quick beeline right for my position. As it came within about 25 feet, I noticed it's tail was floating on top of the water, and was covered in dark bushy fur. Although I've never seen one apart from Field Books, I knew this was a Fisher or a Mink. It kept swimming and snaking it's long limber body up and around stumps, in and out of grass, oblivious of me and looking for a meal. Within about 10 feet of me he finally noticed something was out of place - namely, me - and he reared up and hissed at me. This thing was at best 2.5 feet long, and half of that was tail, but it still managed to startle me and I made an um, well...let's call it an involuntary astonished expression. That slight noise was all it took for him to turn tail, dive underwater for about 30 feet, then scamper up the bank and into the timber and grass.

I wasn't sure if this was a Fisher or a Mink, so I researched upon arriving home - verified this was a Mink as the Fisher is colored a little different and NE is out of their habitat range. What I saw was completely dark brown with no other coloration. I read that while Mink will take fish, crawfish, and birds, they actually are known for tackling prey much larger than themselves [they weigh in around 3-4 lbs] such as Muskrats. Apparently spotting a Mink is a fairly rare occurance as they are primarily nocturnal, solitary, stealthy and wary. Guess I was in the right place at the right time. It's rewarding to know that the habitat management practices I've put into place have created a new environmental niche for something as cool as a Mink. I can't see where a Mink could put a dent into my fish population, and if Muskrats are on their menu, I'm really happy to have him around.

I didn't have my camera with me [one of the only times it's not in my pocket - of course] but did post this pic below which is exactly what I witnessed. I suppose many of you in other parts of the country may find Mink sightings common, but around here they are notable.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Cool stuff TJ, I have only seen mink a few times. Always near water and in the winter. Never seen one swimming though.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I had one on the trout pond this spring. I won't say what happened to him but he is no longer with us.

I also found a dead one on the highway next to the big pond. I may have another one or more down there as I will have definite muskrat sign and then it stops like they've either left or something got them. I did trap a muskrat one year that had a gash in it's hide. I just hope a mink doesn't get into my fish cages.

I've had two beavers at the pond too. Both were run over on the highway.

BTW TJ... In your byline where you quote Thoreau what exactly did he say men are actually after? I read On Walden Pond but don't remember.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/29/09 09:40 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
They are very fast up close and do a job on small rodents. Amazing what you can experience with a little patience.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Mink have a territory that they cover, and don't stay in one spot for more than a day unless it's a female and she's got a litter. They are fast and fearless, and will eat many pond critters, but they won't eat great quantities of them. They are one of the primary predators of muskrats. You done good, TJ!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Mink have a territory that they cover, and don't stay in one spot for more than a day unless it's a female and she's got a litter. They are fast and fearless, and will eat many pond critters, but they won't eat great quantities of them. They are one of the primary predators of muskrats. You done good, TJ!

Unless you have trout in a tank. Here's what one trout producer in Vermont told me:

...but I have lost thousands of trout to predation from mink over the years. In one example (years ago), predation by mink caused the loss of 100 nine inch trout from a single tank (every single trout in the tank) in a single 24 hour period!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ceciil, you're right. They WILL go on a killing spree. They've been known to kill every chicken in a coop overnight. But, they won't stick around long. He had all those fish killed in a night as well. They aren't good news for producers such as yourself, but I don't think normal (is there such a thing? ) pondmeisters have much to worry about.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Ceciil, you're right. They WILL go on a killing spree. They've been known to kill every chicken in a coop overnight. But, they won't stick around long. He had all those fish killed in a night as well. They aren't good news for producers such as yourself, but I don't think normal (is there such a thing? ) pondmeisters have much to worry about.

You're absolutely right. Just as if I was a "normal" pondmeister I would let the herons live and let live. But with my operation being more intensive...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've got the minksters down in my creek. I've witnessed them during the daytime only twice. They're on the "cool" critter list for me.

I like them a lot better than whistle pigs.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
I like mink. I figure the few fish or desired critters they take out are offset by the muskrats they remove. Only exception is that I have had to catch a few that we raiding our chicken house. They get can in a small space and do a lot of damage in a hurry.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I crouched down and decided to wait for it's approach - if I felt so inclined I suppose I could dive in and wrassle the little bastardo into submission.

Am I detecting a theme in your posts TJ? First ninja sturgeon wrassling, now Mink wrassling? I am thankful that you don't own sheep.

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Within about 10 feet of me he finally noticed something was out of place - namely, me - and he reared up and hissed at me. This thing was at best 2.5 feet long, and half of that was tail, but it still managed to startle me and I made an um, well...let's call it an involuntary astonished expression.

I recognize this, this is city-boy speak for you screamed like a little girl and ran away screaming with your arms flailing over your head. I know this is city-boy speak because I did the same thing at our ranch once. But it wasn't over some sissy mink. For me it was a Mountain Hare, a really angry Mountain Hare.

Great story TJ!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Tastes like chicken;-)
Mink are oportunists & blood thirsty killing machines. Guess that's just part of why I like them so much. They're a Rat trappers nightmare though ruining every pelt along your line around a pond eating a hole in the rats head.
Rats taste like chicken too;-) .. not really but they are good with rice & gravy.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I had a mink last Friday eat the brain out of a trapped skunk. Actually it extracted the brain and eat it about 40 ft away; probably didn't like the smell of the victum.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/29/09 07:54 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Why would they eat the brain, but not spend time eating the flesh?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I don't know why they do it Bruce but that's what they do to the muskrats as well.

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
IIRC, the brain is the most nutritious part next on the list are the entrails. A mink could have been what I saw. It was fast and I only got a glimpse of it before dispatching the PVC.

Glad you know what you're dealing with now.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Why would they eat the brain, but not spend time eating the flesh?

To gain the life-time accumulated knowledge and life-time accumulated experience of their sworn enemies.

Shesh, don't you ever watch TV?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Bruce - Eating just the brain by mink does not make any sense to me either when there are lots of other tasty body parts that have easier access. Go figure. Monkey brain is supposed to be delicacy in Japan. Maybe someone knows why mink often select just the brain? Any mink experts here?

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Bill, what do ya do with a skunk in a trap? I have a tough time carryin em off the porch with a shovel after the dog deposits them there. Just hate when that happens, makes the trailer stink worse than usual.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Bob-o, my son uses a hypodermic on the end of a stick to poke him in the chest. Don't remember what's in the hypo.

Ric
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Ric Swaim
...Don't remember what's in the hypo.

Chanel #5?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Chloroform is what's used to inject in a skunk to kill it without stinkin' up the place. And, yes, if you move slowly, you can inject it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Skunk injector? Dang who do you have to tick off to get stuck with that job?

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 12/02/09 03:43 PM.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Skunk injector? Dang who do you have to tick off to get stuck with that job?

When you trap critters, and catch and catch the little black and white striped kitties, there's not too many options on letting him go without you getting hit. Even shooting them isn't a sure thing on a scentless demise. The Chloroform works very well.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
JHAP got moderated - hee hee.......

Just do it...
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I had to ask & my son uses acetone in the hypo.

Ric
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:52 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by KiwiGuy - 05/04/24 11:49 PM