Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 774 guests, and 221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Yea, where is the picture of the disputing love birds - Ken & Tammy? We all know what smallies look like. It IS good to see Rainman again decked out in his spiffy PBoss shirt.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Hi everybody, Been about 30 hrs since Mason has been here. I'll try to let you know what has gone on since he's been here.(pictures will be later this afternoon). When I first got home with Mason last night (10:30pm), I put him on a leash outside while I unloaded his stuff into the house. When I went out and brought him in to meet the other dogs, the first thing he did was to mark his territory on the living room carpet.(had not even seen the other dogs yet! BOY, was my wife impressed!!!)

3:30 am...After 3 mini dog fights(nothing major), I got them all settled down. The females who are in heat are not cutting him any slack. They're put away in another room but if Mason starts sniffing around the door, they let him know to stay the hell away.

He is not on a leash anymore in the yard...He likes sitting on the front porch in the sun free to run.

A few things about Mason:
I think he is closer to about 12 to 13 years old. His front teeth are wore down to the gums. Not sure about this though because it also looks like his canine teeth(all4)have been filed down. I've got a vet coming out in a week or two and I'll have him look at his teeth.

I was out fishing with him today and caught a good sized yellow perch. When I went to get the yard stick out of the dock box to measure it, he bolted. Scared to death(so he obviously has been beaten before). Also he did the same thing when I brought the newspaper in this evening.

He is also still bone skinny but we can fix that.

I have also noticed the is more partial to my wife than me. So rainman, maybe its just a guy thing.

I gotta get to bed.... Try to fill more in later today.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks Hang Loose for efforts way beyond the call of duty. I hope this did not keep you up to 3 am. At lease we know Mason can live out his days at home with good care. Hopefully things will calm down in a few days.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ken came back later with his typical 60 oz. Big Gulp Coffee cup filled with Lemon Water, or Moonshine, or whatever it is that he drinks. Tammy wasn't with him, but supposedly he has things worked out. Asking Ken to tell a story is sometimes quite a time committment.

BTW, the HSB we caught weren't 'measely.' I was just kidding. They were nice. It was Rex's first HSB.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

H
Lunker
Lunker
H

Mason has arrived in Columbus, Ohio. Friday night about 10:00pm.

Mason in the house at Hangloose. A gate separates the males from Mason-Mason growls at the dogs. HL introduces them later in the night with a few fights, and small bloody lip. Mason slept in the bathroom the first night.

The next morning Mason is enjoying his first breakfast here on the front porch of the house. It's a beautiful day with warm sunshine and he seems to like it on the porch. He stayed out all morning laying on the porch in the sun.

The first walk around the house to see the pond.

HL took Mason out to the dock to go fishing sat afternoon.

Sunday morning first thing you can see Mason, Bop and Stanley are all together on breezeway-they spendt the night together sat night and no more accidents in the house!!! Mason keeps the other dogs away from him-you can see Mason to the left and the other two towards the right. If they get too close he growls. They are getting better!!!

Mason will be very happy here to spend his last years!!! Later after the girls are not in heat we can introduce them also to Mason.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Here's the pictures from arrival with switch to HL's truck.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Ha, I love the picture of Mason and Rex. Great job all around fellas. Great story.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think you are pretty close to his age. I think around 12 or so. I don't think the canines are filed down, I think they are that worn.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Scott, Mason's caninies were all mechanically filed flat as a pancake on the tips. Either that or he did a lot of straight pulling on sanpaper. Almost looks like he bit a spinning grinder wheel.

Last edited by Rainman; 11/22/09 04:06 PM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I knew a couple different retrieving breeds that loved to pick up rocks and carry them around. They wore their canines out doing that. They literally looked sanded down.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Here are a few more pictures of our adventure.

Buddy and Mason after I off-loaded a bunch of small tilapia at my home.

Mason as we leave from stocking some lunker trout for Bing in Illinois

Mason showing his typical enthusiasm during his 2900 mile journey. This was just outside of Indy---only one stop at Ted and Terri Lea's in NW Ohio before meeting his new family just north of Columbus,Ohio

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
Scott, Mason's caninies were all mechanically filed flat as a pancake on the tips. Either that or he did a lot of straight pulling on sanpaper. Almost looks like he bit a spinning grinder wheel.

Rex:

Cals canine teeth look like that as well, although not to the extent that Masons' teeth are worn. Perfectly flat on the tips. I took a peek at his (masons) teeth there in the parking lot. I think that's a trait of dogs that have done a lot of retrieving. Rebas' teeth (Cals dam) were worn that way as well. Cal was whelped 8/1997 and Masons' teeth are worn more than Cals'. If you work with the dogs every day, once they get 10+ years old, 20-40 retrieves per day really start to add up. They are grabbing things on the run/swim/fly, and I think the canine teeth take the most abuse. Reba actually had the tip of one broke off, although not down to the root. It wore smooth in about 5 years.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks guys great pics and story. \:\)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
A woman I worked with who has the dog now, told me her idiot son-in-law filed the teeth down on the collie when it nipped at the kids. She says the teeth are permanently dark. I can't imagine how cruel it would be to file the teeth down on any animal. So yes it is done. Not saying it was in this case but there are some cruel stupid people out there.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Interesting commentary.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
How the heck did he get the dog to hold still long enough to get one done, let alone the other 3?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
How the heck did he get the dog to hold still long enough to get one done, let alone the other 3?

If you're referring to filing teeth down I don't know but I wouldn't want to be around when it's done. I'd probably kill the SOB for being such a jerk. You'd have to be really sick in the head and enjoy it to inflict that kind of pain.

They say 1 out of a 100 people are psycopaths. That is they have no conscience.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/22/09 11:35 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
We had a K9 on our department who broke off two of his canines biting a suspect. They actually put in fake metal teeth in their place... Pretty sweet looking grill he had! HAHA

A
Anna Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
What a wonderful set of pictures to wake up to. My heart is singing for Mason! I can't begin to thank Mark and Rex as well as the entire pond boss family for helping this sweet old boy.

At this time of year when we are all so busy rushing around to purchase presents and get ready for the holidays you fellows gave the greatest gift of all to Mason. You gave him life.

From the pictures he is still thin but has actually gained some weight. The food I sent to the kennel (Orijen) for him has about 500 calories a cup along with two cases of canned food specially formulated for seniors. So, some of the groceries stuck but he still has a long way to go. Sadly our shelter here feeds them enough to keep them alive but nothing more. 80% are put down and I guess they don't realize that it is harder to adopt out underweight scraggly dogs. It borders on animal cruelty... But I won't go there. This is a happy happy day for all of us!

In some of the pictures Mason is actually smiling, I think he likes you Rex and he looks like he is beginning to feel at home Mark. It's a blessing to see the light coming back into Mason's eyes. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

If it's not fit for you to eat, what makes you think it's good for your dog?

AHAHM

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
It would not have happened except through your intervention Anna. Only after that could the rest of us help. Rex and Hang Loose really stepped up big time. Good things do happen especially due to PB members acts.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Anna, Rex and Hang Loose, I have a difficult time ( lack of education) trying to express my thoughts and feelings, so all I will say is….Thank you very much for what all of you did for Mason. \:\)

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I was glad to help out Mason.

It was one of those Karma moments. I was going to be within 30 miles of both places so it kinda made sense for me to step up and get it done.

Last edited by Rainman; 11/23/09 03:04 PM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Some good people on the forum!

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Mason is getting used to being around other dogs now (I hope, no bloody noses lately). Anna, I sure wish you would have been back in time to give Mason a good send off. He is being fed twice a day here with his medicine, except the ivomec. We will start that prob. Wed night after I talk to our vet friend.

Mason has not been on a leash since the day after he arrived here. I let him out, he does his business and then back on the front porch guarding his house (thats what it looks like). He explores a little bit but likes "chillin" on the porch.

My wife (Theresa) bought him some moisturizing shampoo that he's had a bath with twice. That and the cream you sent up is helping with the scratching. Still bleeds sometimes though.

I'm not over feeding him but I'm not far from that line. Once he gets his belly full, its naptime. He might die from being overweight here but it won't be from starving. I've been walking around the pond with him to stretch his joints out. He loves it but won't stay out there by himself.

Rainman, he may have been dreaming when he tried to bite your face. I was napping on the couch with Mason on the floor and he woke me up with some pretty serious doggy dreaming.(Lots of dream fighting)

Jessica, If you're reading this, I'll try to call you tomorrow.

Try to get a few more pictures on tomorrow to.

Last edited by hang_loose; 11/23/09 10:36 PM. Reason: sp
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails