Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M, KWL
18,497 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,941
Members18,498
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
6 members (Sunil, DrLuke, Kanon M, catscratch, John Folchetti, BackyardKoi), 878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#165856 05/29/09 04:08 PM
C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
We are looking at property in TN which comes with a "catfish stocked pond" - I like the idea of a pond - but I want to swim in it - and definitely don't want catfish.

I searched around here and can't find anything to give me an idea how difficult it will be to get them out - permanently.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Welcome to the forum!

Depending on the species, they are most likely channel catfish, which rarely successfully reproduce in ponds, in a few years most will die of old age. You can also heavily fish for them which should remove most of them.

I have swam in many a pond that had catfish in them and never once had an issue with one biting me or sticking me. One pond in particular is loaded with catfish from 2" to 30" and we swim in it all the time. Many many people have swam in it for years without so much as a mention of the catfish.

You may find that the need to remove them may not be there...

C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
I'm a city girl - swimming with the fishes is for.....fishes. I want a nice clean pond with nothing in it but me.

So if I just tell the neighbors it's open season, by the time we move there, they should be all gone? Then next problem is the ducks/swan that swim in it --

Lunker
Lunker
Rotenone could be used to get rid of everything for a price. I don't think you could ever achieve a completely sterile pond. I remember a post a while back about a pond with no fish and they ended up with water beetles that bite.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Well, ponds are ponds... You're always gonna have turtles, snakes, tadpoles, frogs etc... Removing fish, particularly all fish will add to the bugs and critters that will bother you. Fish rarely bother you. Having fish actually in my experiences, makes pond swimming better... The leeches, water bugs and other things that like to bite you, don't get eaten by fish cause there are none, and well... You get bit! Plus, a pond with no fish is a mosquito breeder as well.

Maybe build a swimming pool?

1 member likes this: RossC
C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
hmmm - so what needs to be in a pond? A friend sent me a video of catfish being caught by a guy sticking his arm inside it - those things must have been 100 lbs! I don't want them anywhere near me!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Those are flathead catfish... And they will swim the other way. They aren't going to bite you, they are more scared of you than you are of them! In all likelihood you have channel catfish in the pond. They rarely grow larger than 24" and if they aren't fed, rarely over 20". In a swimming pond you wants lots of little bass. They eat everything nasty that wants to bite you and they leave you alone... Plus they'll eat all the baby catfish if they are born and will keep them out of your pond if that is not what you want.

See if anyone else has advice on this subject...

C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
Oh my - maybe we will fill it in -- or moving to the country is not such a good idea - I had no idea there were all those creatures in/around a pond - snakes?

C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
So a pond isn't just like a swimming pool only natural - where do I go to learn about this stuff - obviously I am clueless - but willing to learn/read

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
No, far from a swimming pool. All the chlorine in a pool keeps the "nasties" out. If you don't like bugs, the occasional snake and turtle, a country pond may not be for you.

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Citydweller,
Do you have any experience with "living" in the country? Camping or a cabin vacation? It looks like you are talking about a major (abrupt) change in life style.

Nature is pretty easy to adjust to and a pond usually provides a wider variety of it. Having a pond is a rare experience, I would try it out first, you can always fill it in.

The biggest thing to overcome in a move from city to country is the convenience the city provides. From cable TV to the corner store, restaurants, shows, shopping and paramedics.

If you can overcome that, swimming with catfish will be a piece of cake.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Indeed.

Channel Cats are the most cautious fish in our pond. Most any disturbance will cause them to get scarce for the rest of your time at the pond for the day.

We have Channels, Bluegill, Redears, Largemouth Bass, Hybrid Striped Bass, Grass Carp, and (formerly) Golden Shiners. The Shiners were the only species we ever encountered swimming, back when they were very thick in the pond. They would frequently jump out of the water while we were swimming and once or twice actually jumped into our heads. But they are small (4 oz is a big Shiner) and innocuous (no sharp spines or fins), and being hit by a Shiner was a source of amusement.

As Rad noted, swimming with the fishes (as opposed to sleeping with them, which I understand is an old NYC tradition) is not one of the bigger paradigm shifts you will encounter with country living.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Homestead.org has some good articles on country living.

Having been raised in the country both here and in Europe I feel a wee bit qualified to give you some advice.

If you are looking for a sterile environment free of all pests, animals, fishes, etc. DON'T move south or to any truly rural area.

The warmer climate in the south encourages vegetative as well as animal growth. Creatures thrive in our warm weather especially our mild winters and I jokingly call my little corner of Alabama "The Pestilence Capital of the World." The subtropical climate here is perfect for all matter of creepy crawlies, flying insects, slithering beasts, furry friends, molds, fungi etc. Even in developed areas there is still an abundance of Armadillos, Possums, Raccoons, Deer, Snakes, frogs, lizards and bugs. Lots of bugs. Flying, crawling, creeping icky bugs.

Being in the country may just not be for you. I love the wonder of nature and the balance that she creates without our interference. It's a marvel to me. If this is something you cannot appreciate then you might be better off in the city where things are familiar and comfortable. However, you might come to appreciate the quietness of a Tuesday evening with only the serenade of the frogs in your pond to disturb you. Completely free from horns, sirens, blaring music, and the crush of bodies all around. There is a peace to it that is indescribable. It's comforting. Like a hug from your grandma.

Good luck!

If it's not fit for you to eat, what makes you think it's good for your dog?

AHAHM

V
Fingerling
Fingerling
V
If you're looking for a 'pond' you can swim in safely without the bother of a single 'creature', you might consider putting in that thing called a swimming pool. Us country folk have never been bothered much by swimming with the fishes, but then again, the whole purpose that many of us have an actual 'pond' is to fish in it.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I swim in both of my ponds, as do my kids and allot of our friends. My wife wont. She says the water is dirty, and that's that. My small pond is completely overstocked with catfish. They range in size from five pounds down to babies. There are hundreds of them in there. There are also thousands of bluegill in there with them. The catfish have never bothered anybody and to my knowledge, nobody knows of anybody being bothered by catfish in a pond.

Bluegill on the other hand are a real pain. We've all been bit by them, and if you sit long enough in one spot, several will bite you at the same time!! While it's not painful, they do zero in on a mole and keep going back to them. I have several on my back, and it's so bad that allot of the time I'll wear a T shirt while swimming to avoid being bit by them.

That pond used to have allot of spiders and other water bugs in it. Then I added some flightless ducks to the pond. I feed them everyday, along with my catfish, but even after eating their food, they spend the rest of the day hunting bugs. They cleaned out that pond of bugs in about a month. It's kind of amazing the difference. Ben Franklin loved ducks and he had a saying that went something like this. You don't have a snail problem, you have a lack of ducks problem. Anyway, they are great at eating just about anything and everything that they can catch.

My big pond is also full of fish, but also has turtles and snakes in it. I saw two snakes swimming in it last weekend while mowing around the shoreline. I also saw a very large bullfrog. We also swim in that pond. It's deeper and cooler then the small pond, but you have to go through allot of reeds to get to clear water. Snakes like to hide in those reeds, but you just make allot of noise and they go away. Like everything in nature, they would rather be somewhere else when people are around.

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I stocked with channel catfish about 3 years ago and they are starting to die off. I have lost approximately 39 very large cat fish. Yesterday I removed one more dead catfish. Now hopefully the bass will take over stronger.

paul weatherholt
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Citydweller, Keep most of the algae out and enjoy your pond. My kids had the same concerns as you. We have a floating raft about 30-40ft off the dock that they usually swim to or paddle the canoe out there. Watch the pond life in and around your pond and I think it will be more enjoyable than you think.

Also, If you or your family haven't tried fishing before you move there, try it. Its fun and everybody might get a kick out of it.

Good luck.

C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
Five months ago I asked about a pond because we were ready to buy a house with one. I thank you all for your help. We DID buy a house in TN and it does NOT have a pond.

I know I'll have a lot to get used to - starting with snakes - we're about 15 minutes north of Corinth MS. Again, thanks for all your answers.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yowza. NYC to the country. You are in for a steep learing curve! Hope you enjoy the country as much as a lot of us here do.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Citydweller
Five months ago I asked about a pond because we were ready to buy a house with one. I thank you all for your help. We DID buy a house in TN and it does NOT have a pond.

I know I'll have a lot to get used to - starting with snakes - we're about 15 minutes north of Corinth MS. Again, thanks for all your answers.

Too bad you didn't get the pond. They are great.

As for snakes, they don't bother much. They are quiet and clean. They eat mice. They don't leave foot prints. They don't even smell.

If you want to keep the poor snakes away, get some fowl. Ordinary chickens will do, but guinea fowl are even better. A cat will keep many snakes at bay also.

Welcome to the country. Check in now and then, and let us know how well you are adapting.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Do you have enough land to build a pond? If so, we'll figure out a way to get one in there. Good luck.

Just do it...
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I was told catfish don't reproduce in a pond and if I didn't like having them in my pond they would die off. This has absolutely not been the case for me. The catfish have reproduced and taken over my pond. I decided this year to start trying to remove them. I have been using fish traps to remove them. I bought them from Amazon and bait them fish cheese from amazon.

Attached Images
20220827_144834_compress90.jpg
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
james!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where have you been!!!??????

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Good to see you sunil!

C
C
James,
Can you share a link or tell us what 'fish cheese' is? It sounds like a handy thing to have around to bait fish traps.

Moderators,
Is the picture upload tool broken again? I can't pull up pictures in several posts over the weekend and again today even though the file looks like it is there and uploaded correctly. Can you help restore James picture?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:21 AM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:17 AM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:16 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner