Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nice! Is the fireplace chimney individual stones (real or imitation)?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Imitation, I started to use real but cutting them was realy taking alot of time,and I travel for work so just home on week ends so I had to go with imitation it is also on half the fron and the front of porch, It was labor intense since doing it by my self.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks. I need to do the same for my fireplace on the house, and was hoping to find some on a sheet vs. individual pieces. Looks like it'll be a project for next year!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Zhkent, thanks for posting your home construction, this is great stuff.

lbrooks, beautiful house!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Essup-- I looked for some on sheets but really didnt like what i found. What i did find was very expensive, I did learn some tricks to help speed things up on installation.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
lbrooks:

O.K., I gotta ask, what did you find out tip wise? I'll be putting it on tyvek wrapped OSB. My Dad said to start from top on down, that way any dropped mortar won't make a mess of the installed stones.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Essup,
It's called cultured stone, you will need to put up some 15# tar paper and some lath using roof nails, when you put up scratch coat if you just let it dry a couple hours before you start installing stone it seemed to stick alot better,and what really made the stones stick well was mixing in some thin set with the type n or s morter mix, using rubber gloves and spreading the scratch coat and the morter on the stones by hand and rubbing it in real good was twice or more faster, and stayed on well. Till I did this I would put up 5 stones and one would fall and knock 3 off.

Z
Lunker
Lunker
Z
Looks great lbrooks.

Make it look easy,
http://zhkent.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: lbrooks
Essup,
It's called cultured stone, you will need to put up some 15# tar paper and some lath using roof nails, when you put up scratch coat if you just let it dry a couple hours before you start installing stone it seemed to stick alot better,and what really made the stones stick well was mixing in some thin set with the type n or s morter mix, using rubber gloves and spreading the scratch coat and the morter on the stones by hand and rubbing it in real good was twice or more faster, and stayed on well. Till I did this I would put up 5 stones and one would fall and knock 3 off.

Sounds familiar. \:D I was told to put a small spacer under the screening that is nailed over the 15# paper to give the scratch coat a bit more of a physical bond to the mesh.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Essup,

My guess is that you were mixing the mud too dry. When doing brick work, you want the mix to be fairly dry, and I've seen allot of peopld do the same with cultured stone. Then the rock falls off and the mortar doesn't have any "stick" to it. If you mix it up wet, the rock sticks really well. There is a point of too much water, but that's pretty easy to figure out.

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Well here is what my wife and I did, all we had done was concrete and roof, the rest is all sweat equity, the pond will be located at left of picture.

Yessir, very nice. You should know by now that we need construction details. Give us some background on the project.

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
under the deck is a set of windows like the levels above, I will open up under the deck once the garage is built. it has a full basement. It has 1000 sq ft in basement and first floor and 800 sq ft in the loft. All outside walls are 2x6 rafters are 2 x 12 with blowed on cellulose insulation. The pond (mine will be a lake, as that what people around here call a valley damned up) will be located at left of house looking at picture. I will post me first drawing of it before we started so you can see what i am working toward. This where i started, I like the cedar siding but at my age I didnt want the maintance,and once the garage is built, under deck will open up like the picture. Not exact but getting close. I really dint want to post the dream picture but I did want to share where i got my start.

Last edited by lbrooks; 11/04/09 08:25 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think you are well on your way to being 100% completed. It's really close to the picture that you used for a guide.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Z
Lunker
Lunker
Z
Just an Observation
My pond is around 3 acres and over 20 feet deep in spots with probably a twelve feet or more deep average. A lot of water.
The winds here in Kansas kicked up before christmas. We kept getting 20 mph, 30 mph, and more winds with temperatures in the teens and below.
The pond hadn't frozen. The wind was hitting the pond directly from the north and west, it seemed to be circulating it even.
This went on for 5 days at least, 2 of those days we were in a blizzard warning and the pond also absorbed 6 inches plus of snow.
The new house I built uses geothermal with an open loop pulling about 12 feet deep in the pond (gravity feed) to a gravel bed around a 20 feet deep well casing, with the pump at 12-14 ft below pond level.
The temperature of the pond was pulled down to 43.3 degrees, measured at the furnace intake.
While this works I did screw up and let the air filter get dirty, which combined with the cold water and extreme outside conditions led to long cycle times in which the unit would freeze internally. It would automatically go to electric backup, I would reset it by turning electric off then back on.
The pond finally iced over and I got new air filter on. Also the outside conditions improved a bit and there haven't been any more freeze ups.
Tonight (jan 3 2010) will be single digits, but have not had a freeze up since the 29th.
The pond temperature has came up to 45.5 degrees at this time. It stayed at 43.3 for 5 or 6 days and has just risen in the last 3 days.
What a test right on the get go!

Make it look easy,
http://zhkent.com
S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
Here's some pics of our cabin. We used Superior Walls for the basement, wood stud walls, and log siding upstairs on the first floor and the loft. It is 24X24. We got a builder to frame it out, and dry it in. We contracted the finish work out, and worked on it over a 2 year period until finished. The builder sent some pics in with some other cabins he had built to Log Home Living magazine. It was featured in Country's Best Cabins 2011, and Cozy Cabins 2012. They did a story about a growing trend of smaller cabins being built, and folks downsizing. We hope to eventually add on to it and move there for retirement. It is great for weekends, but I would need it to be a little larger for permanent residence.
Chris

Attached Images
ARCD-8898.jpg ARCD-8901.jpg ARCD-8902.jpg ARCD-8903.jpg ARCD-8905.jpg ARCD-8904.jpg ARCD-8906.jpg ARCD-8907.jpg ARCD-8909.jpg

"I have not failed, I have only found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Thomas Edison
B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
It looks way bigger then 24x24. Very very nice I might add.

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That is flat out fantastic! I agree with Blair - it looks a lot bigger than 24x24!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
You mentioned that you also had a basement.

OK, you say it would need to be a little larger for permanent residence? You have, excluding the basement, 576 sq. ft. plus whatever floor space you have upstairs. What would you add to make it really livable?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
Well the loft BR is nice until you get up in the middle of the night for "nature call". I don't want to be going up and down stairs in the middle of the night when I retire. We would build another BR,and bath on the right side first floor level, then turn loft into an office. The basement is another BR. It is livable now, but not quite what I would need.

Thomas Edison
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Extremely appealing. You can always tell when a female has been involved in a project.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Beautiful ! I agree with Dudley !

K
K
Sir, you have a beautiful home. Your stone work is outstanding also. Your floors appear to be hickory which is the only one that I haven't installed. I am going to pm you about your source for the log siding.

S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
Thanks!
Yes, the queen was involved from the start, and did all the design. She is constantly decorating!

Thomas Edison
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That is a good thing !

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
As if exquesite design isn't enough, there's a fresh loaf on the kitchen counter, another different one on the outside table, no dishes in the sink and nothing out of place anywhere in the house.
What a special girl!

Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images