Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
In my limited observation, if ever there was a consumer item that proved the old adage, "you get what you pay for," it's fish feeders. I have two of Moultrie's 30-gallon barrel feeders running on a large lake I'm managing; I recommended them to the owner because they're a good bit cheaper than Sweeney or TH; they were new in July and already one of the timers is bad, and the timer on the other one looks to be on its way out. And, upon installation, though they're supposedly directional, we had to mount two-foot pieces of tin under the feed gate on both feeders because half the food was falling right at the base of the feeder. I am not a fan of cheap feeders.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Different feeders for different situations. I agree that you get what you pay for, but the bears would make scrap metal out of the good directional feeders mounted on the dock so I would be out 2 or 3 hundred dollars.
The feeder I have mounted on a tripod meets my needs it has a digital timer and cost 40 bucks, bucket included.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
AP, all you need is for Dwight to build you a bear proof enclosure!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
AP, we got similiar setup for clients in north GA mountains. Yes the bears love fish food especially strong smelling trout chow. Your method works as does an electirc fence around a shore mounted feeder.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Greg/Dave;
Any feedback is good feedback, so I don't take anybody as a jerk. If you stop speaking from your experience, then what good is it to participate on a forum?
I'll do a little more research into the product, and by all means Greg, if your company can provide at that price I'd rather keep my money "in town".
I don't have reugular access to a computer, so I miss alot of the threads previously posted - I'm still not a friend of technology (probably to my disadvantage).

Calm ponds;

Joe

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
joe if you wish to tryout one of those units, just email greg@lakework.com In your defense I do not have all available products online so research may not show it is there. Folks are always free to email us for with any questions/inquiries, we give away lots of free advice without a sell. I just want clients to make an educated purchase.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I have purchased items from PB advertisers in the past, and they have been first rate, If I find some things that are real bargins elsewhere I will buy them, but I will try to support PB people if possible especially with some of the specialty things we need.
They tend to go out of their way to help you.

K
Lunker
Lunker
K
True story, but some might not believe it and I can't blame them.
My cheap Moultre 5 gallon bucket and thrower for $79(?) was under the water for two days, totaly submerged. My son and I pulled it out of the water, TOTALLY took it apart, every piece, down to the circuit board, put it in the oven on "warm" for an hour.
Put it back together again with only three screws left over (spare parts), fired it up, even with the battery that was under water, and it took right off and didn't miss a beat.
That may not necessarily be good quality as much as it is good luck, but I'm impressed. Still going to go out and get another thrower ($59) as this one probably will oxidize and fail. I need to send this into Moultrie, they may send me one for free with a story like this, take my picture to, make me a celebrity to boot.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
ken great story, you talking about this http://www.moultriefeeders.com/productdetail.aspx?id=mfh-fk
we actually sell the "kit" for $48 plus shipping.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Can the metal 5-6 gallon buckets be gotten anymore? seems all i see are plastic. I prefer metal so as to keep varmints other than fish from chewing thru.

PondBoss magazine subscriber
Don't text while driving!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yes the metal buckets are still used by some manufacturers. This summer I sealed a bunch of concrete and the sealer came in metal 5 gallon cans.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
FR, the moultrie he is talking about is metal. However the feeder kit (part that does the work) is mostly plastic.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
K
Lunker
Lunker
K
Greg is correct, that is the unit that I have. If you purchase the "whole" setup, thrower and 5 gallon can, you will get a thrower that has a different configuration then if you purchase just the thrower "Kit". Not that one won't work on the other, cause it will, it's just different. The funnel portion is what makes the differience. If you purchase the thrower and 5 gallon can, the can should be Metal. I haven't seen it offered in Plastic.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?