Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
4 members (KenHorton, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, rjackson), 1,017 guests, and 167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#189607 10/27/09 08:46 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Those Clorox, detergent, paint thinner, and orange juice jugs are starting to spoil the view. Six cages now in the big pond. Two cages of YOY Bardello bluegills, one cage of yearling Bardello bluegills, one cage for large Condello bluegills that were in the holding pond and will have to be sexed again in the spring(I'm pretty sure I could sex them now but don't want to take a chance), one cage with large male yellow perch and some big females that were in the holding pond and can be sexed in the spring, and one cage with 1 + year old perch that will have to be sexed in the spring and females released into the pond.

I may have to invest in some professional looking floats.

For those of you that wonder why I have so many cages it's because I'm crazy. \:\/

Seriously the pond is supposed to be an all male bluegill and all female yellow perch pond, as it's the male bluegills that allegedly get the largest as do the female yellow perch. I have other ponds where I produce the fish, so this keeps the pond open for trophy fish production only, via pellet feeding and the tens of thousands of fatheads that reproduce prolifically in the pond. In the mean time the fish that have not been sexed or of the sex that are not to be in the pond due to unwanted reproduction are in cages.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/27/09 09:38 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Either that, or take them there fishies with you to the Walmart. ;\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I hope you guys aren't making fun of my neighbors!

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Either that, or take them there fishies with you to the Walmart. ;\)

Hey where do you think I get all those jugs? I've also been known to go dumpster diving at the local recycling center for more jugs. \:o

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/27/09 09:27 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo

Nope nothing wrong with living in a trailer. Been there done that once. And the new ones are quite nice inside! But you've got to admit my pond is starting to look like one of those run down trailer parks.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
 Quote:
Those Clorox, detergent, paint thinner, and orange juice jugs are starting to spoil the view.

For those of you that wonder why I have so many cages it's because I'm crazy.

Or Jughead Jones \:D

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Cecil, could you bracket the pens to the side of the dock?? Or maybe, just use a couple jugs and hook them under water to your fish pens? Adjust them to where you want the height of the pens.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dwight
 Quote:
Those Clorox, detergent, paint thinner, and orange juice jugs are starting to spoil the view.

For those of you that wonder why I have so many cages it's because I'm crazy.

Or Jughead Jones \:D

O.K.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: hang_loose
Cecil, could you bracket the pens to the side of the dock?? Or maybe, just use a couple jugs and hook them under water to your fish pens? Adjust them to where you want the height of the pens.

Bracketing might work. But I'd have to be awful careful when I clean the cages or they could go straight to the bottom.

Not sure how I could hook the jugs under water though.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/28/09 08:06 AM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
If you fill them with water, they ought to be easy to push down.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Get some of those swim noodles. Cut them to size and secure them to the inside top edge.

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo

I see I got caught going fishing again.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
The swim noodles work out pretty well but they do deteriorate and those colors are gaudy.
Maybe some black corrugated pipe and put the noodles inside, this would protect the foam and be less visible.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Hey where do you think I get all those jugs? I've also been known to go dumpster diving at the local recycling center for more jugs. \:o

Cecil, the horse business generates so many empty 1/2 gallon to 5 gallon jugs (and buckets), it never occurs to me that anyone would have to go anywhere to get jugs.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Cecil, you are one funny guy.

Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
The swim noodles work out pretty well but they do deteriorate and those colors are gaudy.
Maybe some black corrugated pipe and put the noodles inside, this would protect the foam and be less visible.

This sounds like a great idea. Of course given that I've just endorsed it, it will probably kill the deal.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond

Damn AP! Not only do you have disease free brook trout you are a genius! I could see running it around the inside of the cage (the black corrugated pipe) and it would not only keep the cage afloat but keep the feed from flowing out of the cage.

I'm not so sure the pipe would need the swim noodles inside it though. Just the air should be enough as long as one could connect the pipe and keep it water tight.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/28/09 11:07 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:

You'll need the swim noodles or some other closed cell foam. It's a bear to keep the corregated pipe air-tight AND go around the inside corners. You might be able to make an inside rectangular or square "ring" of large diameter PVC, gluing the pipe together for an airtight fit.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Damn AP! Not only do you have disease free brook trout you are a genius!

My wife got a good laugh out of that.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I have absolutely zero experience with fish cages, but it seems that you could make the cage itself out of a larger diameter PVC that is totally sealed up, thus providing an airtight and positively bouyant container/frame, then just run your netting around that structure. There should be enough air volume inside to give the cage plenty of float. Heck, maybe even just make the top out of large diameter PVC, then use smaller diameter for the rest of it. With all the different PVC joints and fittings that are avaialable, you ought to be able to find something that allows you to make a square or rectangle out of big stuff on top that is necked down for the rest of the cage. If you really wanted to ensure buoyancy, just fill the top section of the frame with some of those swim noodles. I would guess you wouldn't need too much lift as there wouldn't be much weight to counter the positive bouyancy. Again, just a thought as I read through these other good ideas.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The biggest problem is getting the cages with the proper boyancy so that they float 8" or so out of the water. The easiest way is with the jugs, once the cages start to have algae grow on them, they will sit lower in the water, which you want to avoid.

The Trailer Trash Fish Pond is contagious:

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Your right esshup, when I built my cage I filled the top of the frame with foam and drilled holes in the rest of the frame so that it would float correctly.
It floated fine but it was too low in the water so I put some noodles in it, but to lift it higher you would need more flotation like jugs or 4inch corrugated pvc.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Todd3138
I have absolutely zero experience with fish cages, but it seems that you could make the cage itself out of a larger diameter PVC that is totally sealed up, thus providing an airtight and positively bouyant container/frame, then just run your netting around that structure.

The book Small Scall Aquaculture has a cage with larger PVC on the top and even set up for something to grab a hold of. However one disadvantage to going with bigger PVC is the weight when you want to pull up the cage. I already use 1 1/2 inch PVC.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/28/09 08:16 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I went the cheap route with 1" PVC. I drilled holes in the bottom PVC, and about 1' up from the bottom on the uprights.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
I went the cheap route with 1" PVC. I drilled holes in the bottom PVC, and about 1' up from the bottom on the uprights.

1 inch is fine. I used to build massive 10 feet by 10 feet cages so that's why I got stuck on the 1 1/2 inch PVC. I've since downsized and canibalized the PVC from the larger cages.

I just learned something new. I build a cage that was much deeper than it was square. When I pulled it up to the shore to put fish in, it worked great to tip back with most of it under water.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
All good points and exactly why I should have stayed out of this conversation until had some cage experience! I'm gonna go look up green sunfish threads and read those.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner