Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101
18,496 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,935
Members18,496
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
11 members (Don Kennedy, Augie, Boondoggle, FishinRod, Sunil, Shorthose, ghdmd, phinfan, Theeck, Justin W, Drago), 809 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Awesome news, Bob!

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
More updates from Mom

Ok...I have to clear up some information I posted about the 'ramp'. Our 2 concerns are - a ramp to get into the house and a way to get Matt up the stairs onto the main floor. Since we rent, we cannot do anything permanent. We are also waiting on insurance approval for a shower chair, one that transfers Matt from a wheel chair to the shower chair. (it's not looking good)

Yesterday was a stressful one for Bob and Matt. Communication issues, being tired, etc... So, far today has been nice. The communication barrier is the most difficult right now. Because Matt knows what he wants to say, since he can verbalize we have to kind of play charades, wheel of fortune, hang-man (actually none of those, they just came to me-so, I think I will put those in place) ;\)
I wanted to post some of the awesome things Matt can do. Matt is getting more control of his head and neck, his right arm and fingers. You should see him driving around in the motorized wheel chair - it's hilarious and inspiring at the same time.

My next prayer request(s), if you don't mind? Pray for Matt to get his voice SOON and for the transition from the hospital to home to be a smooth one and a wonderful celebration!
Thank you for allowing me to make these requests. All of you who pray and send positive thoughts mean so much to the 4 of us. You give us encouragement, hope, strength, etc...

Peace - Light & Love, Shari for the Hernan Family

A little snow, Please!
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Matt's voice and smooth transition home. Check.

-Greinke vs. my Red Sox tonight. I'll be thinking about him and rooting for the other team.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Tic-toc.

No spoilers from me, but it's a good little one.

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
LOL I started laughing as soon as I opened my email. As Omaha as indicated there is a quick update on Matt\

MATT IS HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is very happy to be home. I have a lot to update - not enough time. I will tomorrow. I did post new pictures though!

Peace - Light & Love ~ Shari for The Hernan's

A little snow, Please!
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
LOL I started laughing as soon as I opened my email. As Omaha as indicated there is a quick update on Matt\

MATT IS HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is very happy to be home. I have a lot to update - not enough time. I will tomorrow. I did post new pictures though!

If you guys want to check out his caring bridge link go here
Matt's site

Last edited by trialsguy; 09/29/09 08:39 AM. Reason: linky no worky for me

A little snow, Please!
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: trialsguy

If you guys want to check out his caring bridge link go here
Matt's site

You may have to be registered and logged in to view Matt's page. When I clicked the link it didn't come up right, but when I logged in, I found it just fine.

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Not sure why that was posted twice one with the edit, maybe because I used the back space to go back and edit. It worked for me here at the office and I don't think I am logged on here so heck I dont know.

A little snow, Please!
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: trialsguy
Not sure why that was posted twice one with the edit, maybe because I used the back space to go back and edit. It worked for me here at the office and I don't think I am logged on here so heck I dont know.

Not a big deal. I think if you just go to caringbridge.com and search for Matthew Hernan you can find what you're looking for.

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
WOW this thread made it to the 3rd page in between updates,, busy forums with lots going on.

Moms update

Well...Matthew has been home for 1 week-yesterday! I apologize for not updating sooner. We have a lot to do for Matt right now. He requires care 24 hours. Bob and I are a great team and we take turns. Of course, not without a few 'challenges'! But, The Hernan's can handle anything now! RIGHT? The lift sent for Matt is 'barbaric' is the word Bob used. The sling to transfer Matt from his bed to anywhere (his wheelchair, etc..) is too small for Matt. Matt is over 5' 7" and weighs 150. Bob has talked to several people from our caseworker, to the company providing the lift and we even talked to the 'home nurse' - apparently when Matt starts therapy next week - we have to let them know and they will help us hopefully get a safer lift for Matt! Anyway - Matt continues to improve daily! He has started to move his left fingers - like 'spirit' fingers ;)! One of Matt's favorite places to be is Bob's recliner. We get him set up with tons of pillows, blankets and the remote and he is very happy! I will post a picture! Working on Matt getting to eat regular food. He still has to get his mouth working. Matt is saying a lot more words and we are teaching him sign language.
PaPa, Nonnie, Aunt Deb, Uncle Doug, Aunt Traci and Blair visit regularly. Traci and Trey brought Matt and Bob a hilarious book with some funny words! Great therapy!
Last night, PaPa, Nonnie & Unk Jim came over.
Today our friends - The Gepford's are driving up from Oklahoma to visit Matt. We haven't seen them since we moved to Tucson! Matt and Clayton were BEST FRIENDS! Kim and Emileigh had a special bond. We are all excited to spend the day with them. Then...tonight Aunt Deb and Uncle Doug are bring Kyle over! Woo-Hoo! We haven't seen him since July! I know Matt will have fun with Kyle...he is a BLAST!

Matt starts therapy at the Rehabilitation Institute on Monday from 9-12.

Please keep praying and sending positive thoughts for Matt to have 100% recovery. He is one strong young man - I am so proud our son! God has blessed us with an amazing and inspiring son! Also, if I can ask for prayers for Bob, Emileigh and myself? To keep up the strength, energy and positive attitude to help Matt with his 100% recovery. Please think of Emileigh too - she has been sick this last week.

All in all - I think we handled the 1st week home pretty well!

Peace - Light & Love - The Hernan's for MATTHEW ROBERT HERNAN!

A little snow, Please!
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Another good one Bob. Prayers all around for the Hernan's.

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Moms update for friday

Matt is on his way to his last therapy session for the week. He really likes going! Bob goes with him every time too. The only down fall is the transportation (that's a whole 'nother story)! Want to keep this entry up beat...

Matt can raise his right arm/hand above his head! He is talking more! He has been answering the phone (with Emileigh's help), he has talked to Nonnie, Papa & Uncle Jimmy! Matt says: 'hello', i love you, nonnie, papa, emileigh, mom, dad, max, i want and i need!

We are still waiting on information about a shower chair/seat. In the mean time - Bob and I give Matt a 'bed bath' and wash his hair. Last night the 3 of us were singing Christmas Carols, the Beatles and Carpenter songs. Gotta make it fun right? After that we got him into the recliner so he could watch the MU game with Bob & Emileigh...those 3 sports fans! They were sad though - MU lost. \:\(

Keep the prayers coming - we are still asking and praying for that MIRACLE!

Also, we have family & friends working on a couple of Fund Raisers for Matt's Medical Fund. One is a Garage/Rummage Sale and the other is an OPEN HOUSE (Shoppping with Pampered Chef, Mary Kay, Jewelry, Tupperware, Scrapbooking, Candles, etc...)
They are looking for inside places to have these 2 events. Any ideas?

Have a GREAT FALL Weekend! It is nice and BRISK in MO!

Peace - Light & Love, The Hernan's

A little snow, Please!
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Nice update. Thanks as always Bob.

And I loved the game yesterday. Well, the 4th quarter anyway.

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Moms update and requests,

Day by day getting better and better! Good going guys!

Thank you for your prayers and positive thoughts! And...I just want to thank GOD! WOW! Matt is making strides and progress each day. It is awesome seeing this right before our eyes! Therapy really is working. The speech therapist is working on a speaking device for Matt to use on his wheel chair! Matt can bring his right arm up over his head! He knows the entire alphabet in sign language! Today he has been drinking from a straw! He is talking more too! Gotta LOVE HIM - AND HIS PERSISTENCE! AMAZING! I just have to say it again and again...NOW, I KNOW WHY GOD BLESSED US WITH MATTHEW AND HIS STRONG WILL!

Another FAVOR? I thought it would be fun to make a collage for Matt. One with a picture of everyone thinking and praying for Matt. So...if you would, either email me or mail me pictures - I will start working on a COLLAGE POSTER for him! (i promise i will not use them or share them with anyone else)!

Want to thank Tommy - our driver from Arkansas - he sent Matt a great CD with some FUN songs, we listened to it yesterday.
The Hines Family - Thank you for the Sports Trivia cards - Matt got 19 correct out of the 20 I asked him. And...to the Camden Family - we love the x-box 'scene it game'! Thank You! Matt can play too! Especially when we get him all 'cozy' and settled in Bob's recliner. I'm thinking we might need to get Matt his own recliner to sit next to Bob to watch SPORTS - SPORTS AND MORE SPORTS! ;\)

Want to ask another favor - please pray and send positive thoughts for Bob and I? Taking care of Matt is a 2 person job - 24/7. Also, for Emileigh's understanding.

A little snow, Please!
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Another good one. Sounds like he continues to make great progress.

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Updates A comin in!

First, we wanted to say thank you for sending Matt words of encouragement by signing his GUESTBOOK and sending him cards, cartoons and letters. It helps all of our family.

Next, I need and want to request prayers for 2 people:

Lori Johnson. A friend of mine AND she was one of Matt and Emileigh's substitute teachers at Donaldson in Tucson. Lori had her last chemo treatment a couple of months ago for Cancer of what she thought was a pulled muscle. I found out last week, she was diagnosed with 2 brain tumors - 1 near her brain stem. She has had surgery for 1 and now she will go thru radiation and more chemo. Please PRAY for her - send positive thoughts her way and her family - her husband and 2 daughters. Lori is one of the nicest people I've ever met. I know her faith and strength will get her thru this along with the love & support from her family and her Tucson friends!
I think someone might be setting up a caringbridge site for Lori. If there is one - I will post it. Please keep her in your prayers!

Also, for our daughter Emileigh. Right now our focus has to be on Matt 24/7 - he requires our attention for everything. Please pray for our family -

I appreciate all of you!

Peace - Light & Love ~Shari

A little snow, Please!
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Grandma is getting into the posting scene \:\)

Happy Friday! I have been forgetting to tell everyone this: Matt can say the sweetest phrase every parent loves to hear " I LOVE YOU"! My heart leaps everytime he says it!

Not sure if any of you read the guestbook entries or not, I thought I would share what my mom posted. Thank you MOM! I Love You!

Nonnie is signing your guestbook again. I just want to let everyone know the Prayers are being heard and I want to Thank Each of you. Some day we will pay forward all of the prayers you are sending, and I know they are being heard , God has blessed us with a Wonderful Family & Friends. I work with the most wonderful friends that Pray for Matthew everyday and light candles. Grandma Margie lights candle every day for you. Connie and Kathy also Crystle...UNK Jimmy, and so many more all of them praying for you everyday. Kennith Steel Praying for you everyday, AND when Nonnie read this it make me believe even more, andGod has his arm around you. All of our Family has been with us every minute. My Prayers are with each of you. And also with the most positive person >>> Matthew. Each Day you are doing something new, God is with you every step. We all Love You, and Nonnie and PaPa Love you Big Whole Bunch. Everyone also Please keep Shari, Bob and Emileigh in you prayer also. They are working 24/7. God Bless Each of you.

Here is my Daily Prayer. Dear God, Please hear all of our Prayers. Wrap your
arms around Matthew and give him the strength to overcome this setback in his life. We believe in your healing power. Matthew is the most amazing young man. When we want to Cry he is strong....I know you Dear GOD you have wonderful Plans for him. Thank You Dear God Hear all of our Prayers. Amen

Please keep the prayers coming, keep lighting the candles. And please sign guest book to let him know we are with him.
We want to Thank our Royals Family, You have been with us all of the way and we Thank you!
God Bless you each and everyone of you.

Hello my Positive Grandson
Just wanted to let you know you are Amazing. When I called the other night
and Emileigh picked the phone up and you said Hello it just made my Night.
Matt God has heard all of the prayers and I know he has heard yours. You have worked so hard and you continue to amaze all of us. I know there will be a lot of work ahead of you, but you know you can do it. And so do we.

Hello Supporters
Bob and Shari are working 24/7 they are just working with Matt. They need God to help them...It is not just Thank you for all of the prayers it is now time
to ask him for help in other ways. Pray for help with the finances. They aren't
working and if you have any Idea's for Fund raiser's please let me know. Shari and Bob would be the last to ask for financial help. So if you have any idea's or know of someone who could help them please let me know..
I know we all have prayed but we all know it takes God to be our power and he is on our side....God Bless each and everyone. please email me if you have any fund raiser ideas.. Matt's Nonnie.

Nonnie and PaPa Herzig
vic1jim2@aol.com

Peace - Light & Love ~ Shari for the Hernan's!

A little snow, Please!
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Nice one. ;\)

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
It is great to hear of Matt's great progress but I sure feel helpless with their finance situation. The main goal is Matt recovering but man o man without a job to support the family that would be tough. I sure dont have any answers. \:\(

A little snow, Please!
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Thought I would throw one in hot off the press!

Matthew had a relaxing weekend of watching football and nascar with Bob & Emileigh. I really will take a picture of Matt sitting in Bob's recliner - it's so awesome!

Last night PaPa & Nonnie brought dinner over - a birthday dinner for my brother (unk jim) and I! Our birthdays are in August. We wanted to wait for Matt to celebrate.
The dinner was yummy and of course we all enjoyed family - oh yeah, guess what? Football! ;\)

Matt starts another week of therapy. I know he enjoys getting out. A transport van comes in the morning at 8 to get Matt to his appointments daily from 9 to 12. Bob and I carry Matt in his wheel chair down the stairs and back up when the van brings Matt & Bob back home around 1 or 1:30.

Please keep signing Matt's guest book and sending him cards and letters of encouragement - he loves it! They keep him going and it helps us too reading them to Matthew. I do want to let you know - he is amazing! He doesn't complain and takes each day as it comes to him! Matt's laugh & smile are a priceless gift to us!

Have a great week!

Peace - Light & Love, Shari for The Hernan Family and most of all, for Matt!

A little snow, Please!
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Lets keep the faith and prayers full steam ahead!

Mom's caringbridge post.

As I was sitting talking with Matt this morning before he was going to therapy. I asked him what he wanted for Christmas....he has to 'sign' to me because he can't talk too well. He signed to me "I want my tumor gone" tears just started rolling down my face right in front of Matt (we TRY not to cry in front of him) he started crying too, then I just hugged him TIGHT and told him, "believe me - if I could make that happen, I would"! So ...again - I'm asking - pray for a MIRACLE FOR MATT - for the tumor to be completely gone! What a WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS GIFT that would be. Peace - Light & Love ~ Shari

A little snow, Please!
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Continued prayers...

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Very touching moment.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Its been awhile since mom updated, after reading this ginormus post you will understand why. I have no idea how they can manage to keep doing the things they do, Well actually I do know how< but WOW!
WOW - I have a lot to update! First, let me start with the following scriptures:

Phil. 4:13 ~ I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Matthew 19:26 ~ With GOD, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.

I will start with last Thursday. We had a 'Family Meeting' with all of the Therapists, Social Worker, Education Rep and Raymore School District to find out how Matt is doing and what other programs, equipment, etc...he needs. It was like being at a Parent/Teacher Conference. It was a very positive meeting! Matt is doing well with each Therapist and each Therapist told Bob and I how impressed they are with Matt's progress. Matt started with his regular Physical Therapist last Monday (she had been on vacation) anyway, she only worked with Matt for 4 days and told us she could already see improvement in those 4 days! Each Therapist is also doing everything they can to get Matt any equipment he needs. One is a new bed, one that will be more comfortable for Matt. The bed he has now, we have to re-position Matt every 2 hours (including thru the night) doing this prevents Matt from getting bed sores. Another device is a communication device helping Matt communicate easier - which will help all of us understand him and keep everyone from getting frustrated.
Matt still has to be fed thru his g-tube, although he can eat (be fed) a little bit of solids: pudding, baby food (fruit) and yogurt. His issue is still swallowing - meaning he is not ready for solids!
The Therapists have also increased Matt's therapy hours from 3 to 5 hours a day! That is one reason why he needs to get more sleep!
Some other great things that help make caring for Matt easier. PaPa & Nonnie brought over a shower chair! Their neighbor, Darney brought it home for us to borrow until Matt gets approved for his own. He was so happy to take a shower because for the last month Bob and I have been giving Matt 'bed baths'. Thank you Darney!

On Wednesday Nonnie & PaPa came over to stay and help me with Matt while Emileigh & Bob went to a taping of the show 'Chiefs Locker Room' show on Metro Sports. Our friend Carol set this up for Emileigh. Emileigh is wanting to go into Sport Reporting and possibly be an Intern for the show. So, thank you Carol. While they were gone, we watched the new Transformer movie.

On Friday - PaPa & Nonnie brought over another item that will help make Matt's progress...a hospital table, one he can use while he is in bed. Matt loves it - he can use his lap top on his own (he still needs help) but, it does give him some freedom. We will be able to help him read and play games, etc...Eventually he will be able to 'groom' and 'feed' himself, once he gets more feeling and movement in his hands. Nonnie's friend Connie loaned the table to Matt - thank you Connie!

Saturday - Nonnie & PaPa loaned me their car to take Emileigh to Des Moines to meet her best friend Heather for a day together. Heather, Jeannie & Courtney met us and shopped and had lunch. We didn't want the day to end. Bob stayed home with Matt by himself. They had a good day and watched College Football ALL DAY!

Then, on Sunday, Unk Jim took Emileigh to the Chiefs game to watch them play her favorite team, the San Diego Chargers. On Monday Emileigh and I went to K-State with Carol, Trey, Jo & Ginger for a Senior Day visit to the campus. We had a great time. Thank You Carol for organizing this and driving us to Manhattan, KS. Again, Bob stayed with Matt by himself.

On Monday (this is going to get to you) because it got to me and Bob. Matt told Bob he thought the tumor was growing! Hearing that was like someone punched me in the stomach! I know we don't know for sure - and we won't know until Matt's MRI on December 2nd. Here is the thing - unfortunately, Matt has said this before and each time he has said this, he has been right. We are going to request more prayers for Matt to be wrong! I told him I thought it was just his brain getting used to the all of the tumor not being there.

Another issue we are having with Matthew...he is afraid of going to sleep and falling out of his bed. He doesn't get enough sleep, wakes up around 5 or 6 every morning and won't go to sleep until 11 or 12 each night. We have a call into the Dr for a possible sleep medicine to help him. Because he is not sleeping, we are not sleeping. Matt won't even rest/nap during the day.
We are EXHAUSTED and Matt can't give his full potential during therapy. To be honest ( and I hope you don't mind ) I've been not wanting to say this - but, it's like we have a newborn again. So, another request, please pray for Bob and I - for patience and understanding to make all of this work.

On Monday - Matt got a surprise gift from a fellow Chiefs Fan and one of my wonderful friends, Coach Justin Argraves. He sent Matt a Personalized Chiefs Jersey with Matt's favorite number "18" and his name on the back - M. Hernan! Thank you Justin. Matt wore it to therapy on Tuesday and made sure I took a picture of him wearing it! You made his day!
Thank you to Nonnie & PaPa for all they did for us last week, to Carol for organizing the events for Emileigh, for Connie & Darney for tools to make Matt's life easier. To Unk Jim for taking Emileigh to a game. Also, to all of the Chemo Angels, Friends and Family for thinking of and praying for Matt and Emileigh. To Bob for staying with Matt by himself. It is a big job and responsibility.

One more thing - Traci Forester is working on a Fund Raiser for Matt's Medical Fund. She is looking for consultants/representatives selling items like; tupperware, candles, jewelry, etc... Traci's email address is: bluespringskid@comcast.net. Contact Traci if you would like to participate or know of someone that would be interested in participating.

Thank you for your prayers and positive thoughts - they are very much appreciated.

Peace - Light & Love ~ The Hernan's 4

A little snow, Please!
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I hope Matt is wrong too. Big prayers from NE on everything. I continue to be impressed with their determination and have no idea how they can maintain such a pace. They are a very busy family! Thanks again for the update Bob.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by FishinRod - 04/24/24 10:04 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Sunil - 04/24/24 07:49 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction