Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
victortechy, fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra
18,475 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,937
Posts557,715
Members18,476
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
13 members (LeighAnn, Augie, FishinRod, Donatello, Reno403, catscratch, Theeck, canyoncreek, Theo Gallus, Mainer, Abaggs, Bigtrh24, Sunil), 782 guests, and 230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18890 02/05/06 01:26 PM
T
TrevorR Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I just purchased a piece of property close to Columbus, Texas. It has a four acre pond on it, and judging from the 15 or so fish I caught yesterday, it's stocked with medium-sized LMB (10"-16"). The bass weren't super thin but they didn't look super well fed either. I didn't catch any large LMB.

Anyway, I didn't see any other spieces of fish in the pond, and the minnow population was not that high. I'd like to establish a fishing pond and build the forage base. Should I stock grown BG? If I stocked fingerlings, they be gone in a couple of weeks, right? The LMB population is quite large from what I can tell. Also, I'd like to stock some type of minnow. Any suggestions, and what type of cover is necessary for minnow growth? The pond is quite clear and has weed growth at the bottom. Is that enough? Thanks for the advice. I'm new to pond management. My ultimate goal is to increase the size of the LMB and to have a healthy foodchain.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Trevor, there has been a good bit of recent discussion on trying to find out what is in an existing body of water as far as the fish.

If yesterday was the first real day of fishing, it might be a good idea to fish it hard several more times to see what all you have in there. Keep notes on sizes and weights if you can, and fish a few different ways. Live bait may catch you the most for this exercise. Fish on the bottom also.

You can also set out a few minnow traps. There are all kinds of various fish traps you can buy or build.

Once you have a real good idea of what is already in the pond, the next steps (tempered with your goals) can be discussed on the forum.

Also, if you don't know how to very accurately identify different species, you can take pictures and post them, and people will identify them. Close-up photos showing the whole fish from the side, and against a white backdrop are best, I think.

Congrats on the water!

Oh and welcome.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
You should have three or four months to go until the end of the Spring stocking season down in TX. Our Texas experts will have excellent knowledge of how long. Or see Bob Lusk's article on when to do what for your pond based on water temps here .

Use the first part of that time to find out more about what fish you've got to start with as Sunil suggests by observing, trapping, and/or fishing. Yes, we're telling you you have to fish in your pond - pretty hard duty, I know. ;\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
T
TrevorR Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the advice. I'll get a better idea of what's there. Maybe live bait will stir up some larger fish. TR

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Do some fishing specifically for catfish; it will be good to know if they are present.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
TrevorR nice to have someone around my parts. I came into the same situation several years ago. I suggest you fish, fish, and fish. Keep detailed logs on what you catch. That will give you a real good idea on what you need to do.

When it come time to stock forage I would go with the larger sizes since, like you mentioned, they will be quick snacks. You are located close to a hatchery that has treated me really fair with good information.

T
TrevorR Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi Texas715. It's nice country. Is there a fishery near the Columbus area? Thanks.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
TrevorR, here's one more suggestion as to fishing your new water.

If you catch some smaller fish like a smaller bluegill or a smaller LMB, you can rig up a bigger hook and use them as bait. Rig a separate rod with a good bobber, throw it out there and see if Bubba comes along.

You might catch some snapping turtles this way also.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
TrevorR, there is one in Halletsville. Kenneth Henneke, he advertises in the Pond Boss Mag.

http://www.kennethhenneke.com/

If you can pick up the fish you will save yourself a lot of $$. I told him what I had going on with my pond and he made some really good suggestions.

T
TrevorR Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the recommendations. Much appreciated. I'll be busy fishing in the next couple of days, trying to figure out the fish populations.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Looks like we may be headed to the columbus area in the near future. If you'd like, we can survey the pond and give you a full management report.

Most likely you should remove male bass, possibly add florida genetics, and add variety to the food chain with minnows, tilapia, shad.

See our website for more info and how to contact us. www.overtonfisheries.com

It's ALL about the fish!
T
T
If it were me, the first thing I'd do if I wanted to find out what's in my new body of water would be to have a professional come do an electrofishing survey. The benefits cannot be overstated, and you'll be able to get a grasp on your situation (and thus come up with a solid plan) much more quickly and accurately.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:49 PM
'Nother New Guy
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:42 PM
aeration pump type?
by Theo Gallus - 04/16/24 10:19 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 04/16/24 09:49 AM
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 09:45 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by Augie - 04/16/24 09:31 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed