Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
4 members (KenHorton, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, rjackson), 1,005 guests, and 164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I tend to agree with the opinion that SMB won't control my BG population alone. I'm doing all I can by:
Opting for higher density, larger size [4-7"] SMB stocking than recommended [100/acre]
Heavy existing HSB [5-15"] population [50/acre]
Heavy existing YP [8-12"] population [120/acre]
Steep banks [2:1 slope] allowing for less aquatic vegetation
Culling all Female CSBG caught/seined/trapped
Placement of permanent trap in shallow sanctuaries for biweekly BG removal

All these things combined should assist my efforts - but my last ditch contingency plan calls for adding 25 - 50 single sex LMB - more as necessary. Real trick here will be to identify sex correctly - must do this when they are gravid and spawning. Nice upside knowing I may have a nice little population of 3-5 lb LMB as a bonus.

It will be evident in a few years whether or not this corrective stocking worked. Thanks to all for your guidance and input.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Did the fish go in or what?

Pictures?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
TJ is ignoring you Sunil.

You might have to break out the sock puppets and get all medieval on him.

(That sounded weirder that I thought it would).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I'm downloading the very few pix I have - sorry my documentation of this process was not up to PB standards. I stand before you...ashamed.

JHAP - I'm waiting for another allusion to the Men's locker room to complete the cycle of JHAP weirdness....

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Yo Mamma!

It was a long weekend, I'm too tired for a witty come back, so I reverted to the basics.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
THAT'S no way to get SMB pix posted sending me to emergency therapy.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
That was just a warning shot.

Post the darn photos or expect Operation Sock Puppet Storm to commence shortly.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Sounds great, TJ! Great plan.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
TJ I agree with Dave on BG ,GSF and PS. On other lepomis species I don't know. I think Theo will let us know on RES but I still have not seen any evidence that RES will overpopulate. I don't see much written on the other lepomis like RBS , LES etc. and SMB predation.

Before you add LMB remember that and electrofishing boat can remedy a lot of fish population problems fast. Shock up a bunch of BG and remove the low RW , odd looking , ugly or nice ones and keep the ones in good condition or those that are just plain mean.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I have had two years of RES spawning in my new pond, the first with no predation, the second with small SMB and YP present. There are nice numbers of young RES, but no where near as many compared with small BG in a pond with many LMB present.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
As we have discussed in the past, I am very much on board with the SMB-redear sunfish combination. There actually is one darn good study done on that, from University of Missouri. The author was some guy named Gabelhouse (humor intended for our Nebraska crew: TJ and Dr. Bruce).

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I went with Dave's advise when I stocked RES & SMB. I had one super all summer long spawn in 08 & a very light spawn this past summmer. No indication of over population of RES. I'm actuall trying to get some YP started for extra forage as the SMB are not as fat as I wanted.
The quote from Lakedoctor was just to give another viewpoint. I personally favor Dave's approach.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I was never impressed with the info regarding the combo of SMB and BG provided by Lakedoctor. He has not posted here in years. I wonder if he is still in business? I question how well SMB-BG ponds he referred to are still doing after several years. IMO the SMB combination can get in big trouble balance wise if the smallies have one or two infamous bad spawns and we all know the reliable reproductive capabilitites each year of BG. The risk of fish balance problems with smallies decreases with the fewer sunfish that are present. I totally agree with Dr. Dave that the only good sunfish type with smallies is the RES. Then if the smallies need more food use other types of forage. I discuss good alternative forage foods for smallies in the Nov-Dec 2009 Pond Boss magazine.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/19/09 09:17 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
TJ I agree with Dave on BG ,GSF and PS. On other lepomis species I don't know. I think Theo will let us know on RES but I still have not seen any evidence that RES will overpopulate. I don't see much written on the other lepomis like RBS , LES etc. and SMB predation.

Before you add LMB remember that and electrofishing boat can remedy a lot of fish population problems fast. Shock up a bunch of BG and remove the low RW , odd looking , ugly or nice ones and keep the ones in good condition or those that are just plain mean.

Good point Eric - if shocking wasn't too expensive [ie: get shawn up here for a Husker game and pull his boat] this would be feasible. If a guy had a market for CSBG AND owned a shockboat it could be a nice even trade!

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
I was never impressed with the info regarding the combo of SMB and BG provided by Lakedoctor. He has not posted here in years. I wonder if he is still in business? I question how well SMB-BG ponds he referred to are still doing after several years. IMO the SMB combination can get in big trouble balance wise if the smallies have one or two infamous bad spawns and we all know the reliable reproductive capabilitites each year of BG. The risk of fish balance problems with smallies decreases with the fewer sunfish that are present. I totally agree with Dr. Dave that the only good sunfish type with smallies is the RES. Then if the smallies need more food use other types of forage. I discuss good alternative forage foods for smallies in the Nov-Dec 2009 Pond Boss magazine.

I look forward to the newest installment on SMB

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
TJ, if you're trying to remove BG, look at getting a fyke net... I think you'll get your moneys worth for that project and many future ones.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
TJ, if you're trying to remove BG, look at getting a fyke net... I think you'll get your moneys worth for that project and many future ones.

Good call - Essup and I may try to make one ourselves, then end up buying one after all most likely!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Well, if you can't sew..... ;\)

I still haven't priced material, but I'm sure that I could find someone in the Amish community that would be able to sew it together. I did find a cutting pattern to make one tho!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...