Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,259
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,574
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
10 members (FireIsHot, DPSMESA, Knobber, Theo Gallus, x101airborne, gehajake, Bigtrh24, esshup, SSJSayajin, Rick O), 950 guests, and 180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2catmom Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
This weekend I went to the Michigan Lakes & Streams regional fall conference on Sat. a.m. There is a huge movement here to link all the water groups together in partnerships, long overdue. MSU Extension is creating a program on shoreline buffer zones, similar to the Master Gardener, Lake Leader Institute etc. Can't wait for that to be offered, one of the lady facilitators from the LLI is developing it.

I saw an interesting presentation on non chemical control of Phragmittes (sp). Cutting them down below the water surface (removing the tops) and letting them freeze underneath and they die. This plant is everywhere here now.

Because of my intense involvement of the past several years in fixing my lake I became a little isolated and out of touch with people I really care about. My best friend and her husband moved to the other side of the state to Muskegon, 5 minutes from Lake Michigan. My experience with L.M. has always been way up north, this is down south, and it is warm enough to swim in, very beautiful clean water, all sand.

What is interesting they moved to a new development that was a former water park. It abuts a lake called Black Lake, and they have ponds inside the development. What an interesting visit. The developer will turn over the association to the property owners soon. People are already violating the restrictions. While we were walking along a wooden boardwalk on Black Lake (an undeveloped lake) another couple came along and we started talking. Looks like I will be helping these folks set things up right from the start to avoid some of the problems we have had here. Most cool is that Jim has political experience and will be perfect, and if Black Lake has no steward watching over it, he will be the one. I can't wait till next year to go out in that lake. There were so many things growing in it (I'm used to a lake void of vegetation, and the wetland area protecting it was very very interesting. The couple we met live on one of the ponds and care about it, so maybe I can share my knowledge with them and do something really good, something that will make a difference long into the future. It is very exciting.

HUSBAND AND CAT MISSING -$100 REWARD FOR THE CAT!
I subscribe too, but tried and failed at the fish logo.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
IMHO, those folks are lucky to have your involvement.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
2cat, how was that meeting? I have often thought of attending the Michigan Lake & Streams Conference. Were there many exhibitors? About how many people were in attendance? Are there activities where everyone gets together or is it just talks and then everyone is on their own?

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

2catmom Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Hey Sue:
This was what they call a regional meeting, they combined 3 regions and held it at the Bloomfield Township city offices. There were sadly only about 50 people attending, and there was no vendors at this type of meeting. One guy that does harvesting in the area in thecrowd. Lots of presentations. Good ones, I made a couple of good contacts, that community has strict ordinances to protect all the lakes, there are so many in Oakland County.
I can tell you this, 2 years ago we went to the annual spring statewide meeting. It was at a good place for vendors, of which there were many. It was also 3 days of ongoing classes and workshops on everything you can imagine.
Last year the spring meeting was at Higgens Lake, and less vendors, space and only a few classes. It was more of a goodbye meeting to the original founder who was stepping down at age 93 I think and his sidekick Pearl who was late 80's. They started it way back in 1991.
Next year in April the meeting will be at the Radison Hotel in Lansing. New leadership has taken over. Push is on to try and get more involvement. It is $35 per year, tax deductible, and you get a magazine. Scott Brown is the new head, I'm getting to know him pretty good, good man. Check out the website: Michigan Lake & Streams Association. This is a bare bones group, always looking for volunteers, no money. Perhaps the new leadership will make the annual conference more like the first one I attended. The fall regional conferences would not be worth your while, but the spring one might if it is like the first one I went to. My biggest observation was that the average age of people who care about their water is 70.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks for the info. We get so many calls from Michigan lake side homeowners wanting to improve their water quality and reduce muck. It seems if this association is run properly it could really take off. Last year was a bad year for conventions and meetings as many budgets were cut, hopefully future years will really see increased support. Maybe I'll see you there in the spring.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features

2catmom Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
That would be cool Sue. Tell me, besides having a good time like I know you do (ha ha) what is your objective in attending conferences, networking with the other vendors, or lakefront owners, which is most beneficial to you?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
All of the above. The more you get out there and meet the people and network, the more oportunities pop up. We sell a lot of aeration systems to large lake communities in Michigan. One of our biggest success stories is significant muck reduction in East Twin Lake in Lewiston. That data was actually presented at the Michigan Lake and Streams Association meeting in 2006. Ever since I have thought of attending that meeting. It helps to hear what concerns and issues are being discussed in different parts of the country. I have a lot going on next spring all ready, so if budgeting allows and I have the free time I may attend in 2010.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features

2catmom Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I think that would be a good plan for you - with this linking thing going on there should be a good turn out - I would say at the last one there may have been about 300 people there. Let's hear it for the girl power too, these ladies from MSU Extension are really really good, forming powerful networks and really know their stuff.
MLSA is having a booth at a couple of Home/Garden expos too, to try and get more membership. I'm going to write some letters to the editors in lake community newspapers (if there are any left) promoting it. The LLI has the capacity of 30 and only 14 people signed up, and 10 graduated. We are like little points of light out there in the water world, more people should take the course.
My friends development is called Windflower Bay in Norton Shores, abutting Black Lake. I was able to get a photo of it to come up, very interesting. They have areators in the ponds. Maybe the MLSA will find a way to include subdivision lakes in the future as the focus I think has been natural lakes.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
My First
by x101airborne - 05/05/24 07:39 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by esshup - 05/05/24 07:18 AM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 05/05/24 07:16 AM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 05/05/24 07:12 AM