Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
etx-pond-c, Painterpond, Energymble, Kendal, BoomerTC35D
18,534 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,019
Posts558,561
Members18,535
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
12 members (John Kruid, Angler8689, Jason D, Stressless, LeighAnn, etx-pond-c, Ibanez540r, Sunil, Don Kennedy, Boondoggle, FishinRod, Pat Williamson), 648 guests, and 217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Well my first hatch of bluegills of July 08 where I crossed some of Bruce Condello's bluegills with some of my existing stock were separated from some yellow perch in a cage and put into their own cage for the winter today. I need to sort the perch by sex in the cages next spring and don't want to handle the bluegills in that cold of water if I don't have to. I will sort the yellow perch and dump the female yellow perch into the pond cage free in March.

Anyway average size for these 1 year 3 month old fish is about 6 inches with the largest at 6 7/8 inches and 6 1/4 oz. (Don't have a gram scale.)These fish have been in the cage most of their lives.

Here are a few pics.

Bluegills and small perch in a circular tank after some sorting had begun:

One of the larger ones:

A pic of one on the certified scale:

Once again a special thanks to Bruce Condello for the fine stock I got from him.

Note: I do not supply any fish for stocking. My fish are produced for my own use. Bruce is the man to contact if you want any of his excellent stock.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/11/09 08:50 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
They definitely have a "special" look don't they? \:\)

Great report, Cecil!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
They definitely have a "special" look don't they? \:\)

Great report, Cecil!

Yep all they need is a pink cowboy hat. \:D \:D \:D

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Nice plump gills Cecil, that's some great growth for 15 months, I guess they'll be real porkers by the end of next summer.
Were you planning on bringing some indoors ?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Nice plump gills Cecil, that's some great growth for 15 months, I guess they'll be real porkers by the end of next summer.
Were you planning on bringing some indoors ?

I was but the RAS project may have to be put on hold. Just moving the fish around, power washing cages, and doing pond maintenance for winter on top of my other business has taken it's toll on my time. I still haven't drained my two production ponds or seined them yet although the one was just used as a holding pond this year.

I still may put some YOY bg's in the tank for the winter. All hope is not lost yet.

What's really crazy is I'm considering getting some 10 inch brook trout and bringing them indoors to see if I can get them to catch up with the bigger trout that will stay in the outside pond. I'm not convinced I have had good survival of my outside trout even though I am seeing some healthy 14 to 16 inch fish perhaps 18 inches. I did however see one today with a small amount of fungus on it. Perhaps the males have been fighting. If there are any females that will be more likely to occur. I was supposed to get only males but...

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/11/09 09:12 PM.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Those are some rotund bluegills. Nicely done, Cecil!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I've been catching and trapping the brookies and rainbows in the pond and they've grown well, but I have yet to catch or trap a single BRNT, I put in 50 in the spring that were 4".

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Cecil the more you ram their head into the end of the measuring tube the fatter and rounder they get. \:D Kidding of course.

Nice fish and very plump with good color.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Cecil the more you ram their head into the end of the measuring tube the fatter and rounder they get. \:D Kidding of course.

Yeah but there's a drawback to that. They get shorter.

I'm more of a length than weight guy anyway. BTW any idea what the RW's are on the biggest ones? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/11/09 10:00 PM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Cecil I need to look at home for the RW (Wr) chart for small BG to be sure. Using the standard chart your BG's RW (Wr) are right at 200% using 6 in and 6.25 oz. Yours are .390625 and standard is .2. .390625/.2 = 195.3125 % .

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Cecil I need to look at home for the RW (Wr) chart for small BG to be sure. Using the standard chart your BG's RW (Wr) are right at 200% using 6 in and 6.25 oz. Yours are .390625 and standard is .2. .390625/.2 = 195.3125 % .

Thanks Eric. Sounds like they will have plenty of reserves going into winter. They are already feeding today after handling yesterday. I think that is another advantage of Bruce's genetic selection that is being passed on.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've been catching and trapping the brookies and rainbows in the pond and they've grown well, but I have yet to catch or trap a single BRNT, I put in 50 in the spring that were 4".

How are you trapping them? The browns may be using a different habitat than the other species. I've seen lakes where the rainbows and brooks were bottom oriented and the browns suspended off the bottom. On the other hand I've seen lakes where the rainbows suspended and most of the browns were bottom oriented.

As far as catching them via hook and line vs. brooks and bows they can very hard to catch. When I harvest browns from my trout pond via hook and line there are always about 10 maybe 15 that can only be removed by draining the pond.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Thanks Eric. Sounds like they will have plenty of reserves going into winter. They are already feeding today after handling yesterday. I think that is another advantage of Bruce's genetic selection that is being passed on.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but your experiences with these fish are identical to mine. I can handle mine all day, and the next day they're eating. The one thing I've noticed is that if you take an age-2 CSBG that's been outdoors all summer and move him into an indoor containment, they take several days to go back on the feed. This seems to be primarily for fish 8 inches and over.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Bruce what about the RW (Wr) for small BG. Were those #s close ?

Are those similar to yours?

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A

How are you trapping them? The browns may be using a different habitat than the other species. I've seen lakes where the rainbows and brooks were bottom oriented and the browns suspended off the bottom. On the other hand I've seen lakes where the rainbows suspended and most of the browns were bottom oriented.

As far as catching them via hook and line vs. brooks and bows they can very hard to catch. When I harvest browns from my trout pond via hook and line there are always about 10 maybe 15 that can only be removed by draining the pond.

Cecil I use homemade cone traps but I usually trap near a fallen tree where the shiners hang out in about 5 ft. of water. Both RBT & BKT get trapped.
When I fish I use nightcrawler pieces on a bead and blade rig under a bobber to avoid snags, rainbows & brookies but no browns.
Maybe they are holding in some of the deep areas, but 8ft is max depth.
CJ recommended fishing a live shiner but I haven't got around to it.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Bruce, What do you think caused your gills to go off feed when you brought them inside?

I just brought my PS's inside yesterday and they were feeding well today. They weren't eating much outside lately with water temps in the 40's, but inside water temp was up to 58 today so maybe the warmer water speeded up their appetite.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Adirondack, do you sell pumpkinseeds? If not, does anyone else on here?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Walt, I don't think I have seen any PB faithful who have PS for sale. I know Cecil was considering it this spring but couldn't catch enough brood stock. There are several hatcheries that do though. I can catch you all the wild PS you could ever want... HAHA

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
No Walt I don't sell them but if anyone wants any they can have all they can catch if they come here.
I could also steer you to a mountain lake up here that is loaded with pure PS's, no bluegill around here.
If I get a good hatch in the spring with my selected seed's I would be willing to share them with others.

Not that I would encourage transporting them, that would be illegal.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 10/13/09 10:12 PM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I'd go with AP's PS, they came from far cleaner waters than mine would... HAHA

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
CJ is it legal to transport live fish that you catch in VA. or PA., technically it's illegal in NY.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
To be honest, I am not 100% sure. However, I do not believe it is illegal to transport fish you caught alive. However, it is illegal to introduce any fish not already found naturally reproducing in that body of water. Snakeheads are illegal to have alive period. If you catch one, the law requires you to kill it on the spot.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but your experiences with these fish are identical to mine. I can handle mine all day, and the next day they're eating. The one thing I've noticed is that if you take an age-2 CSBG that's been outdoors all summer and move him into an indoor containment, they take several days to go back on the feed. This seems to be primarily for fish 8 inches and over.

I get that a lot with fish I move into cages that have never been in a cage before.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Cecil I use homemade cone traps but I usually trap near a fallen tree where the shiners hang out in about 5 ft. of water. Both RBT & BKT get trapped.
When I fish I use nightcrawler pieces on a bead and blade rig under a bobber to avoid snags, rainbows & brookies but no browns.
Maybe they are holding in some of the deep areas, but 8ft is max depth.
CJ recommended fishing a live shiner but I haven't got around to it.

Species can be different in their susceptibility to traps. I remember getting very few largemouths in gillnets when I worked as a biologist intern a couple of summers. It seems the largemouths can see them and avoid them while other species run right into them becoming gillnetted.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/13/09 10:44 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I will be getting pumpkinseeds in November from Smith Creek Fish Farm in Bliss, New York. (Near Buffalo) Bill Cody and I are making it a trip. Todd Garrison the owner says he has some of the largest and fastest growing in the region. Here is the link complete with prices:

http://www.smithcreekfishfarm.com/id1.html

I see he does some overnight shipping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bonvillian, lownums, Skywave
Recent Posts
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:54 PM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:37 PM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
Trapping the Crays
by Boondoggle - 05/18/24 05:17 PM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure