Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl
18,507 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,970
Posts558,046
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,548
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Bobbss, Kanon M, Fishingadventure, Snipe, TanyaClick, Boondoggle), 516 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#186834 10/08/09 02:26 PM
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I got my first pond in the early 1990s and I think that at that time there was another pond owner magazine. It seems as if it was published somewhere in the midwest. Eventually I found Pond Boss (at least I think it was Pond Boss) in black and white. Then I found that my pond would rarely hold water for long enough to sustain fish, so I said the heck with it and let both subs lapse.
I think that sometime during my period of being a Phillistine from about 1995 to 2009 I threw all of the old issues away. I know who pays for this board and don't want to give mention to any competitors here, but to satisfy my own curiosity, was there another pond magazine 15 years ago or so? Is it still around or what happened to it? When did PB get started?
I am a publisher so this kind of stuff intrigues me.

Last edited by Bullhead; 10/08/09 02:32 PM. Reason: to add clarity
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bullhead
I got my first pond in the early 1990s and I think that at that time there was another pond owner magazine. It seems as if it was published somewhere in the midwest.
There was a pond mag that was more of a brochure type publication that was developed by a pond owner somewhere near Momence IL. It was a family owned fish hatchery business that ceased doing the publication when the Patriarch of the family passed on.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Don't hesitate to send Luskie a PM and ask him. He'll lay it out for you.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
He'd probably say the same thing I always do, "....and so I asked myself, if not me who, if not now when?"

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
There was a magazine called "Farm Pond Harvest" that was started in the 60's. The heirs, daughters, kept it up until about three years ago. It was a fun, informative magazine, ahead of its time. There was another publication, call Southern Ponds and Wildlife that published for a few years in the late 90's, early 2000's. Our good friends, Barry Smith and Don Keller, with American Sportfish Hatchery, started that one...
Pond Boss has been able to figure out a good working combination to keep going.
Pond Boss started publication with the July-August 1992 issue and we've improved quality and content since. Our timing is good.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
As I recall Farm Pond Harvest was started by a man named Pachner. (Might be misspelled) He had at least two daughters, after his death one ran the magazine and the other Judy, is married to Roland Martin and frequently fishes with him on his TV show.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I have every back issue of Farm Pond Harvest Magazine. It was published quarterly from Spring 1967 (Vol 1 No 1) to Fall 2007 (Vol 41 No 4). Leo Pachner was the originator of the magazine. IMO he popularized feeding fish in farm ponds. Articles in first issue were: 1.Good Pond Fishing Means Proper management. 2. Proper Fertilization Vital to Abundant Pond Fishing. 3.Ten Commandmants of Fisheries Management. 4.Farm Pond Construction. 5.Israeli Carp An Aid to Pond Management. 6.Fee Pond fishing. 7. Wild Fish Can Upset BAlance in Farm Ponds. 8.Fish Toters. 9.How To Stock A POnd With Fish. 10.Weed Identificaiton.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Was this the same guy from Momence, IL? I remember calling their facility about 3 years ago to request an invitation to visit. The gal told me that since her Dad passed away (somewhat recently, as I recall) the pond biz has kinda frittered away. I don't remember the details, but something about her brother still doing some work with the pond(s), but nothing on the par of what their Dad was doing.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
It sounds like Leo had his act together many years ago. Most of those topics still play. It would be interesting if PB could get permission to rerun some of them or print them in a book. I subscribed toward the end of their printing history and one of their more interesting writer was a man in the southern part of the country who specialized in crawfish. I have many of the past issues, but not nearly a complete set like Bill does.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Published on: 5/28/1999 Last Visited: 2/17/2001
Several times during my association with Leo Pachner we discussed writing his story to a tape recorder and said I would transcribe the tapes and help him with the writing.

Well, Leo never got around to making his recordings, but I did take some notes on our conversations. during long winter days, when we were putting together the winter and spring issues of Farm Pond Harvest, then in his mid sixties, often would recount some incident from his past.

Most of these conversations took place in Leo's office, a converted garage, that stood on a piece of farmland near his experimental ponds.With the constant trickle of water recirculating through he's fish tanks as background, and in an atmosphere of pearly cigarette and cigar smoke - through which the pale winter sun angled from the windows in sharply defined shafts of mellow light - Leo would launch into a well honed tale from some part of his colorful life.

Born in Chicago's Back-o'-the Yards neighborhood to Austrian immigrants in 1908, Leo C. Pachner was the second oldest child in a family of 3 boys and 2 girls.His father was a ne'er-do-well brick layer and stone mason : his mother, a pious woman who struggled to hold the family together by working in a pickle factory.

until nine years of age, Leo knew only hard, impoverished life experienced by so many other first generation immigrants in the ghettos of large industrial cities.He attended St. Augustine school at 50th and Laflin, but he and his older brother were incorrigible truants.

The Back-o'-the-Yards was a patchwork of rival gang territories where the two boys found petty thievery and harassment of store keepers an accepted sport.The brothers stole coal from trains in nearby railroad yards (I would climb up on a slow moving train and kick coal off the top of the cars, said Leo, while my brother ran along, picked it up and put it in a gunny sack.) ; fished in park lagoons, where fishing was illegal, and battled with street gangs in neighborhoods where juvenile crime was a means of survival.

One day Leo's mother read an ad in a German language newspaper soliciting sharecroppers sugar beet farms near Unionville Michigan. her application was accepted and the following spring Leo and his family boarded a train with 20 other families.They all were bound for the fields and woods south of Saginaw Bay.

On arrival, the families were met at the railroad station by farmers who chose the workers they needed and hauled them home on horse-drawn hay wagons.Leo's family was taken to a run- down furnished shack that would be their home for the next two years.Later they lived for three years in a large farm house.

Soon Leo found himself struggling to adjust to the cultural shock of a street-wise city kid swallowed up vy the open, unpopulated fields of rural Michigan.

The whole family worked sugar beets farms from planting to harvest time.We hoed the rows of beets, the younger kids thinned out the plants.The farmers were under contract to the sugar beet factories.We were paid eleven dollars for hoeing three acres.).

As winter came on - beet harvesting often was done while snow was flying - the Pachners were given the choice of returning to Chicago at the end of the harvest or of remaining where thy were.
Leo and his brothers, sometimes accompanied by their father, hunted and trapped wild game for food and pelts.They fished the streams and drainage ditches and their winter diet was laced heavily with wild game an pickled carp.They found they could make more money trapping than working the sugar beet fields.

The following winter, Leo, besides attending a country school where he managed to get an eighth grade education, took on the added chore of hiring out to a farmer for fifty cents a week.The work was hard, the hours long, and tending the farmer's bad-tempered horse was a continuing threat to Leo's safety.

On a bleak morning in February, the horse trampled Leo.Badly injured, the eleven-year-old boy was taken to a hospital wrapped in a horse blanket.

The doctor told his mother that nearly every bone in Leo's body was broken.His right leg must be amputated, insisted the doctor.

Leo's mother pleaded with the doctor not to do the amputation ; believing the boy would not live, the doctor relented.

Although Leo feared he would remain a cripple for the rest of his life, three painful operations put him back on his feet.

During those months of recovery, Leo gained a unique insight into life.Even at this young age he realized the value of outdoor sport in restoring self-esteem and self-reliance.He vowed that when he recuperated he would help others, particularly city kids, discover the transcendent, redeeming virtues of the outdoors.

After five years in Michigan the Pachners returned to their old Chicago neighborhood.Leo, now 15, was no longer the city-tough street fighter.Many of his old friends had become thugs and bootleggers.He attempted to convince them that life beyond the streets, hunting and fishing in the outdoors could change their lives.He was met with ridicule.A year later, in despair at the poor quality of life they had returned to, Leo and his brother decided to leave the city and strike out on their own.Their wanderings by railway freight car and hobo jungle took them to the ranches and oil fields of Oklahoma ; the wheat fields of Kansas and Canada ; the 101 Ranch rodeo circuit and a short sojourn with Ringling Brothers Circus.

In 1929, back in Chicago, Leo settled down.He took up barbering.He practiced his trade in Detroit and New York City, then returned to Chicago in 1931.For the next year Leo divided his time between cutting hair and working in the back room on an invention called the Minnow Saver, a hook which did not kill the minnow bait.He also managed an industrial league baseball team called Leo's Clippers.The league's play-off games were held at old Comiskey Field.

We were going for the championship, said Leo lighting one of those evil-looking little cigarillos.I hired this pitcher for the series.He was damn good.But we lost.I found out afterwards the other team had paid the son-of-a-bitch more than I had -- to guarantee that we lost..

Married in 1933, Leo supplemented his meager income from barbering by making fishing lures and selling them to fishermen whom he and his wife found while traveling along lake sides and country streams.They then spent three years working various sporting shows.

In 1937 Leo's part-time lure-making business had culminated in a full-time business named P & K (Pachner and Koller) Bait Company.During World War II, P & K survived on government contracts, manufacturing among other things fishing kits for life rafts.

After the war, Leo became a co-founder of the Sports Fishing Institute and a member of the Fishing Hall of Fame.He was able to travel widely on fishing trips and became a recognized casting expert and sports fishing authority.

Leo often fished the Kankakee River.In 1945 he built a one acre pond, in which to test P & K lures not far from the river at Momence, Illinois.

We started with the regular bass bluegill combination, explained Leo with a laugh, and then, of course, we made some mistakes on our own.
Leo went to work as a salesman for Salkelds, a sporting goods store in Kankakee, Illinois.

I see these kids running around and I want to take them fishing.You can't take kids in the river, so I found people that owned farm ponds.We'd take these kids out to a pond and they'd catch a few fish, mostly little stunted bluegill, stunted crappie and in some ponds, bullheads.Since I had had these problems with my own pond I figured that something had to be done, some way to help these pond owners.
In the winter of 1966, with promises of technical help from fisheries biologist Al Lopinot, Leo and FPH's first editor, Wayne Ligler, put together a list of 10, 000 potential subscribers.
Leo often billed himself as the world's greatest peddler. He put his salesmanship to work selling advertising to support Farm Pond Harvest.

Leo had a very persuasive pitch and an enviable reputation in the fishing tackle industry.I remember attending a trade show in Chicago with him.We could not walk more than ten feet without someone leaving their booth to shake his hand.Before the conversation was over, Leo often had another ad promised for Farm Pond Harvest.If the ad did not come voluntarily, Leo had a way of making the person feel obligated to place an ad.Perhaps it was a carryover from those days on the back streets of Chicago, when survival depended on quick wits and an unyielding determination to win every confrontation.The magazine grew from then on and has lasted 30 years.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The contributing author was Jay Huner, a professor at Lousiansa University. Ph.D. in Marine Sciences from Louisiana State University. Dr. Huner worked in the Biology Department and Small Farm Research Center at Southern University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 1975-88. He had very good informative regular articles in FPH magazine. The last one discussed the Chinese carps: Silver, Bighead, Black, and Grass.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
Lunker
It seems Leo Pachner was a truly remarkable man.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
When I read his history it reminded me of Louis L'Amour.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
Dorothy's brother?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
The greatest Western writer who ever lived.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
Okay, but I would have gone with Dostoyevsky.

I mean, have you ever read The Brothers Karamazov at the OK Corral?

-S. M. Stirling
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Wow...a Dostoevsky allusion? Color me impressed.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
TJ, please don't encourage him.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bjennings79, chris vice, GRACOMAN
Recent Posts
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Brian from Texas - 04/29/24 10:58 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by H20fwler - 04/29/24 09:41 PM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:18 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by esshup - 04/29/24 08:34 PM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/29/24 06:59 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:40 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:01 PM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:58 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification
by Mike Troyer, October 6
Sharing the Food