Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver
18,506 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,969
Posts558,042
Members18,507
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,548
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
10 members (Ibanez540r, Boondoggle, Sunil, esshup, Jason D, Angler8689, Sryously, ghdmd, JoshMI, Bill Cody), 879 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
http://www.sure-life.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89

client asked me about this. What are your thoughts????
I knew abotu use for algae control but not for livewell use. A google search has quite a bti about this. I have never heard it discussed here??? thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I have used hydrogen peroxide for many things over the years- dumped it in my ears for fun, gargled it as part of a homeade sore throat remedy concotion, dabbed it on many open wounds, and just simply love to pour it on anything infected to watch all the tiny bubbles form instantly, but have never thought about pouring it in a livewell. I definitely am going to start experimenting with it though- thanks for the heads up.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Admit it n8ly. You used to bleach your hair with it too.

(I never did in the early '80s; or maybe I did)

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
I have used hydrogen peroxide for many things over the years- dumped it in my ears for fun ...

Swimmer's Ear, Nate?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Heard of that use but never tried it myself.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
I have used hydrogen peroxide for many things over the years- dumped it in my ears for fun ...

Swimmer's Ear, Nate?

Or maybe just a love for "Wet Willy's"?????? \:D

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Seriously we used to dump peroxide in our ears just for fun as kids. Give it a try, and report back with some details!!!!

***disclaimer*** My wife would say that my most popular words are 'what' and 'huh?'

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
His science is correct, on paper I agree with him, but still would want to try it before I went crazy. My question is how will a fish respond going from say, being electroshock from a pond, hitting a live well with rich oxygen content, then being released back into the pond. would the swing of oxygen content of the water be good/bad for the fish?

I dont know how much the ratio he suggests would actually up the oxygen content of a gal of livewell water. I would have to put the pencil to it. =/

Get out and fish.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
And yes N8te, I have used hydrogen peroxide for all kinds of stuff just for fun as well.

Get out and fish.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yep, I think i will try it out on trash fish before using it on any fish with value!

Jake, I wouldnt be too good at putting the pencil to it, or running the numbers, or bean counting, etc (you get the point) {Jeff, the reference to bean counting was your cue/invitation to join this thread} but I can get the "in the field" portion of the experimenting done for sure! What was he saying to use, like a 3 to 1 ratio???

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yep, I think i will try it out on trash fish before using it on any fish with value!

Perhaps a few GSF... Just don't tell JHAP!

D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
While researching some Koi pond websites looking for tips on recirculating aquaculture I found several mentions of peroxide for algae control and oxygen boost. The recommended amount to add varied greatly though. I would think if it is strong enough to kill algae it is too strong for fish. It does seem like a cheap no brainer to add to transport water if it works.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003

Perhaps a few GSF... Just don't tell JHAP!

LMAO! You wasted a bunch of your GSF brownie points on that one!

If filming dog fights is ruled OK, I can imagine a you tube video of GSF in full strength H2O2 soon!

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
When I was 14 the Beatles song "Love Me Do" was available on a 45. Shortly after the release, I bought my first pair of bell bottoms. A couple days after that I started letting my flat-top grow and used hydrogen peroxide to get the look. The girls thought I was cool, but parents(including my own)did not.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
when I was 14, it was early surfer dude tunes. They went quite handsomely with peroxided 'duck tail' do's.

You had to wash all the Butch Wax out before the peroxide would work.

Last edited by burgermeister; 10/06/09 10:51 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Greg,
I have used hydrogen peroxide to combat low dissolved oxygen situations. When injected into a flow such as a waste water lagoon bearing dissolved oxygen concentrations of .5-1.0 the chemical reaction will elevate dissolved oxygen levels. I typically use 30% HP for this application and have not experienced any mortallity in "topwaters" or bacteria when applied at a level of 1-2 ppm. Used it mainly in hot summer conditions with no rain for oxygen boosting never used it for algae control.

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Makes sense to me. It should be completely safe in low concentrations.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Ok, I purposely did not include all the other inforamtion out there on this to not biasis any opinions. Some threads talk about it killing fish although mostly in theory not in reality. A few list accomplished bass anglers saying they never go fishing without it, their best kept secret.

Anyone have any more experiences or thoughts like dbr's. WHo is the chemist in the group and can figure this out, put pencil on paper as jake says. I would have to get out the chemistry book to do this reaction and understnad it and I'm being lazy.

Keep thoughts coming on this please. I plan to work on a system using O2 injection for small tanks (like we use for hauling fish) on an economic scale and if this works as well might need to have it as part of "system". Plus heck we will start using on hauling tank water.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Jeez, myths, half truths and outright lies:

First, the math. The video states "pour 1 ounce of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide into 3 gallons of water." Or 1 ounce into 384 ounces (128 ounces per gallon times 3 gallons).

Second true surfers never bleach their hair. The sun takes care of that. Spend a lot of time in water and sun and your hair will lighten (use sunscreen please). Wanna be surfer girls use to bleach their hair, I guess they didn't realize that since they mostly wore bikinis we were rarely looking at their hair.

1960's surf music is surf guitar. Dick Dale, The Ventures, The Bel-Airs, the Chantays, The Surfaris. During my formative surfing years (1970s) we listened to both surf guitar and hard rock. Led Zepplin, The Who, ELP, etc. On rare occasions the Beach Boys.

GSF as trash fish??? Jeez my work here is never done. Do you realize it's almost a full time job monitoring you people???

I'd like to see Bill Cody or Dave Willis weigh in on the use of Hydrogen Peroxide in water for fish.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Greg direct injected O2 will work better than H2O2. Both will work from a Chem approach. Once water reaches saturation point with O2 it becomes a moot point. I would think it is a good idea as an emergency method of raising DO but it needs to be 3% added at 1 ounce to 3 gal of water as noted in the clip. Cooling the water so it can reach max saturation while not stressing the fish is also important.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
The best use I can think of would be adding it to sealed, oxygen filled transport bags to increase the travel time.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I would think Hydrogen Peroxide would be harmfull to the fishes gills if not in the correct dose maybe even in the correct dose? Think what Hydrogen Peroxide does to our cut on our skin. Would you want to swallow this? Or put it up your nose? Gills are very sensitive and I think people are walking a thin line with the useage of this. You would have to make sure your dose is right by all means. Like you all said "Do the math". I believe i will stick to my OTABS! They work great in a live well and for transporting live bait.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
eric, you basically summed up my exact thoughts. I also hear you rc, that is what I was concerned with at the doasgae rate no problem, what I woudl like to know is the margin for error at what point can H2O2 cause problems??? Cody Dave other chemist in the mix have ideas?

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
It seems the video is suggesting, from the sponge analogy, that the extra oxygen molecule in the h2o2 is just waiting for the DO to go down so it can be relased and get absorbed into the water. This makes no sense to me. This assumes that the h2o2 is almost inert until the DO does down. I thought hydrogen peroxide reacts with organic materials causing it to release the extra oxygen molecule. Why wouldn't it then react with fish waste, algae or the fish itself as soon as it was put into the livewell?

Sounds like infomercial science to me. I agree with using Otabs.

Last edited by RobA; 10/07/09 06:38 PM.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
The H2O2 will release the extra O molecule and it will either go into the water and increase the DO level or it will escape into the air via bubbling to the surface. It could join with some other molecule if the chem. is right. It can not go into the water via DO if the water is at saturation

Last edited by ewest; 10/07/09 08:31 PM.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Agree with everything ewest said.

Get out and fish.
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Perfect this is just what I wanted to get opinions on thanks. When we get our system designed I will have in the literautre to have H2O2 as emergency backup. of course prior to this I plan to testing. ...have some lower than saturation water add H2O2 of diff dosage and report results. I will make sure to let you guys know results as well. thanks again

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
H2O2, being very unstable, will release the oxygen rather readily, ie...pouring on a wound, in your ear, using with mouthwash as a gargle(for oxygenation of the gums) etc. I would not use it in an aluminum boat livewell too often as it is highly reactive with aluminum and will aid in corrosion; I would not worry in the least that it will hurt the fish; it will be simply more water and oxygen in short order, especially with agitation.

PS...peroxide will also aid in reversing the action of male pattern baldness...especially in surfers turned bean counters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bjennings79, chris vice, GRACOMAN
Recent Posts
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by esshup - 04/29/24 08:34 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 04/29/24 08:23 PM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/29/24 06:59 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:45 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:40 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:01 PM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:58 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification