Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,813
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
6 members (buzzdpm, ArkieJig, Steve Clubb, Bobbss, phinfan, TLL), 993 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Is there a water inlet just north/top (end of pic). I am concerned that silt does not wash in on the beach. I would check other fill options. Sand on top of gravel works well and cuts the rock amount down a bunch. Pea gravel costs too much and larger size hurts the feet. Big gravel covered with sand may be an option. White sand (masonry) not red road sand. Rock gets slippery over time with growth and or silt , sand does not. Sand can be raked to clean it up rock no so easily.

But sand gets dispersed over time doesn't it? It eventually does erode? If I go the gravel/sand mixture, what ratio would you use, as in how many inches. 4" each or so?

And, yeah, the main draw for the pond is that northern most point. I was planning on filling via a trash pump from the nearby creek and TJ had suggested digging some holes along that draw to catch some of the silt.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...another thought
I would maintain concerns for the overall, general location of the beach. When it is confined to a (nearly) enclosed area, vegetation in the water might surround the area quickly. Any water depths of 4 ft or less are presumed to propogate weeds and cattails. The actual beach zone, with the geo fabric, will be weed free, but areas adjacent might propogate an "ick" factor (not to be confused with ich). If the zone you selected has a good, continuous depth as you face out from the shore, then the worst that can happen is you will have weeds on either side, but you can swim directly out to deeper and cleaner/clearer water. If your opposite shoreline is too close, you will be trapped for swimming.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
...another thought
I would maintain concerns for the overall, general location of the beach. When it is confined to a (nearly) enclosed area, vegetation in the water might surround the area quickly. Any water depths of 4 ft or less are presumed to propogate weeds and cattails. The actual beach zone, with the geo fabric, will be weed free, but areas adjacent might propogate an "ick" factor (not to be confused with ich). If the zone you selected has a good, continuous depth as you face out from the shore, then the worst that can happen is you will have weeds on either side, but you can swim directly out to deeper and cleaner/clearer water. If your opposite shoreline is too close, you will be trapped for swimming.

Not sure I understand. I do plan on putting in a liner under the rock, one to keep it weedless, secondly to keep the rock from sinking in the mud. Basically there will be 3 banks and an open side to the rest of the pond. Of those 3 banks, one will be beach shore, the others will be the same as the rest of the pond, vegetated banks.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OK, it's just me not comprehending the scope of the work. You are going to fill in the entire cove area?

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
OK, it's just me not comprehending the scope of the work. You are going to fill in the entire cove area?

'Cove'. That's the word I've been looking for when describing this area. Haha. I've been calling it 'sliver'.

I wanted to fill the entire cove area, because I anticipate swimming to be a primary attraction for the kids. My boy especially loves swimming more than anything. Him and the neighbor kids are always swimming in our pool all summer. So it'll be awesome to have a little swimming hole for them at the pond and I can work on other things or fish while they do this. And we can get creative with the area too, as far as that jumping dock and a rope swing.

Lunker
Lunker
When you're done, will it be called "Omaha Beach"?

JHAP, I owe you $0.05 royalty.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
If I had a nickle for everytime I've been told that...

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...you'd feel like royalty

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
When you're done, will it be called "Omaha Beach"?

JHAP, I owe you $0.05 royalty.

Yeah, I'll add some razor wire and landmines and make it a real challenge for the kids. Hey, if you really want to swim....

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
So those of you with beaches, how big did you make yours and if you could do it again would you do it just the way you did or make it bigger?

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Omaha,
I think mine is 20X60. For me it's perfect. I had the dozer guy cut a basin and make a 1 foot high barrier of dirt around the lower half of the basin. Half the beach is out of water and half is under. I think it turned out perfect. It took four dump truck loads of sand at $150 each to fill it up. I did lay down some fabric I puchased at Lowe's, but I'm not sure if it helped or not. I know it didn't hurt anything. As far as I can tell the sand has not moved. I think I have some pictures in one of my other threads under dam construction.

I started with nothing, and still have most of it.
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: cmfulmer
Omaha,
I think mine is 20X60. For me it's perfect. I had the dozer guy cut a basin and make a 1 foot high barrier of dirt around the lower half of the basin. Half the beach is out of water and half is under. I think it turned out perfect. It took four dump truck loads of sand at $150 each to fill it up. I did lay down some fabric I puchased at Lowe's, but I'm not sure if it helped or not. I know it didn't hurt anything. As far as I can tell the sand has not moved. I think I have some pictures in one of my other threads under dam construction.

I take it it's 20 wide, 60 deep so you have nice beach and get into deeper water too? 20 wide seems to be enough for you though? How many people do you generally have swimming at one time?

And how does sand, or a sand/pea gravel mix, compare to straight pea gravel price-wise?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Sand moves little if it is enclosed as per prior posts. A better pic later. We use just sand no rocks.

Our beach runs from the grass to the pier and about 50 ft into the water (to the rope).

Mixed sand beach – Owned by BG

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
That's awesome ewest. How big is it? I'll have to check the 3 different prices (straight rock, rock/sand mix, straight sand) for the 40x80 before scaling it back if it's out of our range.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Omaha,
Who are you using to get quotes on sand and the like? If you aren't already, you work direct with whatever quarry or pit is in your neck of the woods. They will have drivers, or will recommend privateers to haul their product to your site.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Omaha,
Who are you using to get quotes on sand and the like? If you aren't already, you work direct with whatever quarry or pit is in your neck of the woods. They will have drivers, or will recommend privateers to haul their product to your site.

From what I understand my father knows someone "right over the hill" and we have a dump truck at our disposal so there's a big chunk off the cost right there. I asked him to talk to them by this weekend to see what price we'd be most comfortable with absorbing.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
oh yeah, and another thought regarding construction....
When you build up a berm to actually gently elevate the sides of the "sandbox", you will also divert anything from washing into the sandbox. When you get a downpour of rain and the water starts washing topsoil and clay downhill toward your nice new sand beach, the berm will keep it out.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
oh yeah, and another thought regarding construction....
When you build up a berm to actually gently elevate the sides of the "sandbox", you will also divert anything from washing into the sandbox. When you get a downpour of rain and the water starts washing topsoil and clay downhill toward your nice new sand beach, the berm will keep it out.

Oh, that brings up another point/question I'll ask you. As you can see in my diagram I'm not taking the beach rock/sand all the way to the bank. That dotted line, should that be all berm? I was initially thinking of just one long one from the corner bank to the east bank, just one line, but I'm thinking I should just go ahead and make the actual bowl like you did.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm still fuzzy on the plan....sorry.
Can you identify the different parts based on color?
-
-

Last edited by Brettski; 10/01/09 02:24 PM. Reason: add plan views
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O

Oh, yeah, sorry. The darker blue is the unrocked waters, the lighter blue is the proposed beach bottom waters. The dashed line would be the underwater berm.

I did those diagrams in something like 2 minutes this morning so pardon the amateurism.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...and the yellow and brown strips?

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Sand moves little if it is enclosed as per prior posts. A better pic later. We use just sand no rocks.

Our beach runs from the grass to the pier and about 50 ft into the water (to the rope).

Mixed sand beach – Owned by BG

Beautiful! And the BG bed pic is one of my alltime favorites! \:\)

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
-
-

Josh

Looking at the beach tucked back in the corner there raises a couple concerns for me already stated by Bski and Ewest - siltation and also the "ick" factor as corners are generally more apt to get weedy, more stagnant and grow FA - which is no fun in which to swim.

I have two suggestions now that I can see your diagram:

1. Maybe consider a smaller area than 3200 [80x40] sq ft - it seems cost prohibitive considering the size.

2. Have you thought about putting the beach on the point - on the other side of the dock - or is that water not offering the good slope?? Seems it would benefit from more water flow and reduces the issues of sediment and potential "ickiness"

Just some thoughts....

Last edited by teehjaeh57; 10/01/09 02:34 PM.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
...and the yellow and brown strips?

Ha. I keep assuming everyone can understand my kindergarten drawings. \:D

The yellow would be the sand/rock on the shore and the brown is where I'm thinking of putting a dock for them to jump off of.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
-
-

Josh

Looking at the beach tucked back in the corner there raises a couple concerns for me already stated by Bski and Ewest - siltation and also the "ick" factor as corners are generally more apt to get weedy, more stagnant and grow FA - which is no fun in which to swim.

I have two suggestions now that I can see your diagram:

1. Maybe consider a smaller area than 3200 [80x40] sq ft - it seems cost prohibitive considering the size.

2. Have you thought about putting the beach on the point - on the other side of the dock - or is that water not offering the good slope?? Seems it would benefit from more water flow and reduces the issues of sediment and potential "ickiness"

Just some thoughts....

Oh, gotcha. I see what you're saying. Hmmmm. My thought process was, looking at the first diagram of the whole pond, was keeping the swimming area close to the camp jetty and also kind of away from the rest of the pond so as to not disturb fish opportunities. Do you think it'd be best to have it on the west side of the jetty there? It's more open, obviously and still right off the jetty. I hate to change up my plans and tick off my dirt guy.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows